Frobby

Bwahahaha!

Yeah Nolan Ryan's BB/9 rate was too high. He finished his career with 4.7 BB/9 and that was after he brought the rate down later in his career. Guy had unhittable stuff' date=' if only he had better command. Still a legit HOF but yeah, not in the top 10 pitchers of all time.[/quote']

Yeah some of his numbers are bonkers. 6.6 H/9ip. That's insanely unhittable.

What baffles me is that his split/change and curve look good enough. The raw stuff is there. Consistency is lacking. Does Gausman just lack the focus and/or work ethic to perfect the pitches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He definitely lacks focus or the ability to consistently hit his spots. He just makes to many mistakes. You can't be a consistently successful starter in the AL East with two pitches that batters have to account for. Gausman's fastball changeup combo is good enough when he's locating them, but the 3rd time through the lineup is always going to be a struggle for him except on those days when they are bother plus-plus offerings. Gausman is a decent #4 starter, but he's a disappointment based on where he was drafted at this point in his career.

Agreed. Nolan was certainly one of a kind, and accomplished some feats that nobody is likely ever to match, but I doubt he'd be in my top 10 pitchers who I've seen pitch.

Nolan was awesome, and being in the top 50 all time is spectacular. But folks seem to forget or downplay that he's the all time leader in walks by 962, or 52% higher than #2.

If Ubaldo kept walking batters at his career rate and pitched 200 innings a year he'd catch Ryan in his last start of the 2038 season. Ryan walked about as many batters as Roger Clemens and Cy Young combined.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

Timeframe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pennington is the only 100 MPH thrower I can remember on the O's. I'm not old enough to remember Dalkowski.

BJ Ryan? Armando Benitez? They might have gotten close.

We got a guy in the great Syd Thrift selloff that was supposed to throw 100... maybe named Foster?????? ... and I don't think he ever made the majors.

Pennington is the only 100 MPH thrower I can remember on the O's. I'm not old enough to remember Dalkowski.

We got a guy in the great Syd Thrift selloff that was supposed to throw 100... maybe named Foster?????? ... and I don't think he ever made the majors.

Gausman has hit 100 as a starter.

Unfortunately we do not miss MadBum and Cueto' date=' the following weekend.[/quote']

Phillies pounded madbum last night for what ever it's worth.

Jorge Julio sniffed 100mph

Gausman is like Tillman, IMO. I don't think he lacks focus, he just lacks command, straight up. Sometimes Tillman will have those games where everything he throws floats to his arm side because his mechanics get wonky. Gausman just doesn't display very good command most of the time. It's the only thing holding him back, really. That and the lack of a reliable curve or slider.

I think it's the lack of reliable breaking ball. He doesn't have an out pitch.

And there were people here at the beginning of the year who wanted to trade him for a bag of balls.

Thank goodness that Dan Duquette was not one of them.