Terps23

The Race for Tex

Tex is off to a relatively bad start...Hopefully that keeps up.

I doubt whether he hits .250 with 30 homers or .330 with 45 homers will matter when it comes to contract time.

I'd rather he have a good year and see the Orioles throw the most cash at him instead of him having a below average year and worry if the Orioles throw the most cash at him.

I doubt whether he hits .250 with 30 homers or .330 with 45 homers will matter when it comes to contract time.

I'd rather he have a good year and see the Orioles throw the most cash at him instead of him having a below average year and worry if the Orioles throw the most cash at him.

Tell that to Andruw Jones.

What happened with Andruw Jones was a disaster... Tex is a few years younger and on his current pace is more likely to have a year like Carlos Beltran did right before he got his monster deal. Andruw Jones is not a good comparison to Tex's slow start.

Assuming Tex heats up a little bit with the weather, I'd predict a .280, 40 homer, .875 OPS year that he's been consistent with. I don't see Tex coming anywhere near what happened to Andruw Jones.

Andruw still got a pretty good sized contract, money wise - not year wise, from a contending team that already had a pretty good CFer in Juan Pierre. I'm sure the Yanks and Sox and Mets will still go very hard after Tex.

Those who doubt how serious we're going to be about going after Tex just aren't thinking like business people. Right now we're staring in the face of record low attendance and we have the opportunity to turn that around instantaneously just by offering Tex whatever it takes to come here. The net profit he'll bring in will make up for whatever we have to offer; twenty million a year is nothing compared to what he could bring in regarding tickets, merchandise, ect. If this team ends up getting the kind of recognition and respect the 2006 marlins got for instance it wouldn't be difficult to imagine Tex being mutually interested as well. We have the kind of money coming off the books to support this and I think they're building up and truly believe that their farm system can support a team built around a payroll significantly proportioned to a keystone player like Tex. Whether he ends up choosing us is more debatable (I think Atlanta has a similar plan in mind) but there is no doubt in my mind we are going to be a serious if the most serious contender.

OK don't everybody go crazy on me, but Does anybody really think Angelos is going to pay $20 million?

Yes he will. He'll pay as much as it takes IMO. We've got plenty of $ to spend losing all those salaries in 2009 and with the MASN revenue. And we'll definitely land him if the Yankees get involved. There is no way Angelos will lose Tex to a rival team...

The teams we have to worry about are the Braves because they will make a serious bid to re-sign him and Tex's wife is from that area and the Mets with Citi Field instead of Shea Stadium. Angelos will outbid the Steinbrenners and Mattingly is no longer part of their organization so I don't think the Yankees are as much of a threat.

Those who doubt how serious we're going to be about going after Tex just aren't thinking like business people. Right now we're staring in the face of record low attendance and we have the opportunity to turn that around instantaneously just by offering Tex whatever it takes to come here. The net profit he'll bring in will make up for whatever we have to offer; twenty million a year is nothing compared to what he could bring in regarding tickets, merchandise, ect. If this team ends up getting the kind of recognition and respect the 2006 marlins got for instance it wouldn't be difficult to imagine Tex being mutually interested as well. We have the kind of money coming off the books to support this and I think they're building up and truly believe that their farm system can support a team built around a payroll significantly proportioned to a keystone player like Tex. Whether he ends up choosing us is more debatable (I think Atlanta has a similar plan in mind) but there is no doubt in my mind we are going to be a serious if the most serious contender.

Tell that to the Rangers. Tom Hicks was thinking like a businessman when he bought ARod.

The business model was that ARod was going to earn back his monstrous salary through added revenues -- tickets, concessions, advertising, etc. ARod was going to be a brand unto himself, and one that was profitable for the team.

Turns out the Rangers' attendance actually fell after his arrival, and as we all know, after three failed years Hicks took an absolute bath just to get rid of the guy.

Just running some quick numbers, Tex at $20M would have to bring in around 800K additional ticket sales @$25 apiece to break even. 800K would represent like a 33% increase in attendance. You want to bank on that?