RZNJ

Quick Hits

I saw a Lazaro Leyva mention today. He's currently on the 7 day DL at Frederick but I don't know if that's just a paper move or if he's actually supposed to pitch there sometime this year. Here are the curious roster moves for Leyva this year.

[TABLE=width: 795]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]July 26, 2016[/TD]

[TD]Lazaro Leyva assigned to Frederick Keys from GCL Orioles.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]t599.png[/TD]

[TD]June 16, 2016[/TD]

[TD]RHP Lazaro Leyva assigned to GCL Orioles from Aberdeen IronBirds.[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]default_milb.png[/TD]

[TD]March 10, 2016[/TD]

[TD]RHP Lazaro Leyva assigned to Spain.[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Very strange. Assigned to Spain? Did he pitch in some kind of tournament or WBC qualifier?

The mystery continues. Did I miss Melewski mentioning this? You'd think he would have had something by now.

I'm a little embarrassed that someone else beat me to the Jesus Liranzo story but I haven't been posting as much lately. Although I had been noticing his results and age (21) I did not realize that his stuff was as good as reported (mid 90's). Sounds like a good story.

So let me be the first to mention the Randy Gassaway story. Gassaway was drafted out of HS in the 16th round. A big kid who hadn't done much to this point got off to a quick start at Aberdeen and got a quick promotion to Delmarva. His a big kid (6'4) whose power hasn't developed yet but who seems to be emerging as a prospect. He is currently hitting .340 with only 4 strikeouts in his last 37 AB's. His 13 doubles in 120 AB's suggest that the power is there. Keep on eye on him.

Frobby has mentioned that Ryan Mountcastle was in a slump. Good news. He seems to have righted the ship with a 14-42 stretch with 3 home runs over his last 10 games.

Irving Ortega (11 for his last 32), our 19 Dominican SS, and Alex Torres (10-34 with 1 hr and 11 RBI) our 18 year old SS drafted this year, seem to be getting on track down in the GCL. It might be a stretch but Delmarva is a possibility for both next year.

Drew Dosch, 3B, Bowie, has gone from total non prospect to at least someone to talk about. Drafted in round 7 in the 2013 draft, he just turned 24. However, he just posted a .304 average and .888 OPS in July and has started out August at .333/.929. 9 of his 23 hits in July went for extra bases so maybe he's made a breakthrough of sorts. Another to keep an eye on.

Jesus Liranzo looks to be on the fast track. Promoted two levels from Delmarva to Bowie, the 21 year old RHP hasn't been slowed down. 3 games. 4 IP, no hits, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts. A very interesting story.

Tanner Scott got off to a rough start at Bowie but the hard throwing LH relief pitcher is hopefully back on track with 3 IP, 1 H, 0 walks, and 5 K's in his last two games.

Francisco Pena, The 26 year old catcher, looked pretty good when called up to he Orioles despite terrible numbers at Norfolk. However, in his last 10 games, Pena is 12-34, with 2 hr's, 6 RBI, and a very nice 6 walks with 4 K's.

• Upvote 2

The most exciting item here for me is Gassaway - because it was completely unexpected.

I remember being excited about his potential when drafted, but had written him off after a few slow years. It's still a small sample size, but the number have been very good.

If he continues at a high level this year, he'll be 22 in Frederick next year and somewhat on track.

Good call on Gassaway, he's been on an incredible run in his last 10 games with a 1190 ops and a 429 avg. I remember him in the GCL, would have stretches where he made very good contact, hopefully he will continue his recent success

I saw Gassaway shortly before his promotion and was impressed. He certainly has the build to be a difference-maker. Heaven knows our system could use one of those and could use a positive suprise.

Does Gassaway have the arm for RF?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gassaway has a cannon.

The Leyva situation is bizarre at this point. We're giving Dosch a chance, batting him 2nd over some of the vets down there.

I could see Scott and Lizaro having chances to pitch in september.

Gassaway has a cannon.

The Leyva situation is bizarre at this point. We're giving Dosch a chance, batting him 2nd over some of the vets down there.

I could see Scott and Lizaro having chances to pitch in september.

Have you seen him throw? I had never heard that about him and it seems like most of his time, in the OF, has been spent in LF.

Dosch wasn't ever a non-prospect. They got him in the 7th because he was injured. He made it to Bowie in his second season (although age appropriate). And he's the guy who forced 2nd rounder Jason Espisito into retirement when he was called up to take his job.

I have been watching him, and would call him a disappointment if anything.

Dosch wasn't ever a non-prospect. They got him in the 7th because he was injured. He made it to Bowie in his second season (although age appropriate). And he's the guy who forced 2nd rounder Jason Espisito into retirement when he was called up to take his job.

I have been watching him, and would call him a disappointment if anything.

That's a heck of an achievment! lol

In November 2015, Tony didn't include him on this top 30 prospect list and Baseball America did the same in this year's prospect handbook. If you want to nitpick go ahead. No one has talked about Drew Dosch as a prospect for some time now.

BTW, he had a .720 OPS at Frederick which is ok but he hardly forced a promotion to Frederick where he finished with a .594 OPS last year and did much of the same for the first three months this year with 3 straight months under .700, including a .516 May.

Edited by RZNJ

That's a heck of an achievment! lol

In November 2015, Tony didn't include him on this top 30 prospect list and Baseball America did the same in this year's prospect handbook. If you want to nitpick go ahead. No one has talked about Drew Dosch as a prospect for some time now.

Yeah, I said he was a disappointment. But he was a guy who supposed to be worth following.

Yeah, I said he was a disappointment. But he was a guy who supposed to be worth following.

Right. But he pretty much has/had become a non prospect entering this year, hence:

Drew Dosch, 3B, Bowie, has gone from total non prospect to at least someone to talk about.

I never said he wasn't a prospect from day one.

Right. But he pretty much has/had become a non prospect entering this year, hence:

Drew Dosch, 3B, Bowie, has gone from total non prospect to at least someone to talk about.

I never said he wasn't a prospect from day one.

Right on, fair enough, I'm with you. I only spoke up because I've always had my eye on him.

In their 1st year or 2 in the minors, I thought Dosch was pretty close to Mancini as a prospect. But then Mancini started showing power that neither of them were thought to have had.