MagicBird

Buck Showalter is not amused by Tim Tebow?s baseball aspirations

If Tebow wasn't a Christian nobody would even remember his name. I don't understand why people dislike him so much.

Ehh I understand why you are saying he's hated but of course people would know him. He's one of best college football players of all time.

In any event, as I already said, I never did understand why the media was so fascinated with him even after it became pretty clear that he was a substandard NFL quarterback. But it didn't seem to be anything he was doing, just the media deciding this was a guy they were going to lock onto, probably because of his popularity in Florida.

He's just not that much of a pro athlete it appears. Buck is probably concerned about those who are something.

He'll definitely be signed by some team. Probably in the south where his name is still huge I would imagine. I have no issue if he wants to earn a living this way.

He's just not that much of a pro athlete it appears. Buck is probably concerned about those who are something.

He lead the Broncos to playoff victories. Tell you the truth he was better than Peyton was this past year.

I don't understand why there is such a hate for Tim Tebow. All the guy did in college was win and he had some success in the NFL his rookie year and won a playoff game. I'm not a Tebow "GUY" but I also don't understand the hate that he gets. Why not try to play baseball? I'm sure he was a great HS talent. If he sucks he sucks but I just don't get why people are so hard on this guy.

I don't get the hate either. Oh I have an idea why but I had better keep that opinion to myself.

Are there a lot of people who dislike Tebow? I disliked the amount of attention he got in the media considering what a mediocre player he was, but I never thought that was his doing. I also don't know why the media continues to cover Johnny Manziel as if he is somehow relevant. But Tebow is a likeable guy and Manziel is a rich, spoiled punk (IMO).

People enjoy seeing famous people screw up their lives. It makes them feel better about themselves for some reason.

He lead the Broncos to playoff victories. Tell you the truth he was better than Peyton was this past year.

Tebow was terrible the year the Broncos went to the playoffs with him. QBR of 29.48, 46.5% completion rate, 6.4 yards per attempt. He completed 40.4% oh his passes in the playoffs. Manning had a QBR of 44.96, had a 59.8 completion rate, and 6.8 yards per attempt. He completed 55.4% of his passes in the playoffs. Granted, Tebow could run and Manning couldn't. I still could not say that Tebow was better than an old, broken down Manning.

He cant be that and still be an attention whore?

If he was an "attention whore" he would bring the spotlight into himself. He doesn't do that. It's not like he had a special on TV to tell everyone where he was "taking his talents". When did Tebow have a huge press conference announcing his intentions to play baseball? What's bucks opinion of Michael Jordan then?

If he's willing to put in the work, I wish him all the luck in the world. He always seemed like a good guy to me. Obviously his odds of success are quite low, but if wants to give it a shot, I say go for it.

There ya go, well said.

Maybe not but he sure does feed it. The guy is an attention whore.

What exactly are you basing this on? He didn't call a press conference to announce his plan to attempt a professional baseball career. He's been training quietly for months for this and someone finally ask Tebow's management what was going on. I'll never understand the unfounded hate for someone who's done nothing but be a good person, a physical specimen, an exceptional athlete, and a passionate competitor.

What was Showalter's opinion on Michael Jordan joining the the White Sox organization after he left the NBA the first time? It's really none of his business and I realize he was voicing his opinion but who the hell is Tebow hurting? If he lacks MLB level talent it will be apparent early on in his evaluation and he'll have to move on to his next adventure.

He was asked for his opinion and answered the question. What's wrong with that?

Are there a lot of people who dislike Tebow? I disliked the amount of attention he got in the media considering what a mediocre player he was, but I never thought that was his doing. I also don't know why the media continues to cover Johnny Manziel as if he is somehow relevant. But Tebow is a likeable guy and Manziel is a rich, spoiled punk (IMO).

They were both all time great college QB. They couldn't make it in the NFL. But for ESPN, I never see either mentioned.

Translation:

"I hate Tebow because I'm a Mississippi State fan and I'm still salty about him torching us 7 years ago because I take a death sport like football seriously"

Dude, I remember when Florida was undefeated in 1992 came to Starkville and got the hell beat out of them. You can't be too sad.

o

ESPN's Jim Bowden chimed in on this a few days ago:

Is Tim Tebow the Next Michael Jordan? The Similarities are There

(By Jim Bowden, ESPN Senior Writer)

http://www.espn.com/blog/the-gms-office/insider/post?id=12887

If Tebow winds up being a lousy baseball player at the AA or the Advanced-A level, he will indeed have that in common with Michael Jordan.

But there is one other portion of the equation that is missing from Tebow's resume that would be needed in order to make him comparable to Michael Jordan ...... unless Jim Bowden is making the argument that Tebow was to the NFL what Michael Jordan was to the NBA.

Buck doesn't like the Tebow to MLB angle because he's showcasing for a ton of teams based on name only. When all of the players in the minors had to grind their way through foreign baseball, independent baseball, college ball, etc.

Tebow is an attention whore through and through.

Could he turn himself in a MLB player? Possibly. But he's 28. Hasn't played a lick of any meaningful baseball in over half a decade.

And let's not forget...he stunk in the NFL. His "success" in Denver was largely because of some lucky breaks and his kicker.

I don't care about winning in college football. Means squadoosh.

Edited by LookitsPuck
  • Upvote 1