Sign in to follow this  
Todd-O

Will the fans show?

The tiered pricing I can get behind to an extent but only because I am a seasoned vet of going to games. The casual fan, the fan the team needs to attract, cannot

Field box ticket:

Rays Thurs $53

Sox Mon $72

Dbacks Sat $85

This is the type of stuff that will turn away the casual fan.

Field Box tickets for the Yankees game a couple Saturdays ago were even more than the DBacks tickets.

I think to some degree fans are showing their discontent for this issue by not coming out as often this year. JMHO

Picked a fine time to leave them. Lucille.

It could certainly be much worse with a worse product on the field, yes. And I don't understand the hate on tiered pricing. Why shouldn't Rays tickets cost less than Red Sox? Are you also staying away because box seats cost more than upper deck?

I go regardless but I am unique,:) i think the baseline for the Orioles is 2.1 to 2.6 million depending on how they perform and other factors. i think they would bottom out if a few years of losing around 1.8 million.

I think the Orioles should tailor their pricing strategy to whatever method puts the most fans in the seats. If a team is a poor draw like the Rays, it would make sense to discount the tickets to promote higher attendance. If a team is a good draw, and/or has a strong out of town presence, then yes it would also make sense to charge more for those games than you would a Rays game. That said, there is a fine line between good business and pricing your own fan base out of going to the games. I think the Orioles flirted with the wrong side of that line this year with some of their "prime" games. I think to some degree fans are showing their discontent for this issue by not coming out as often this year. JMHO

Should they be maximizing attendance or revenues? Short term you'd want max revenues. Long term it might be better to maximize people in the seats to grow the fanbase at the expense of some revenue. If you're an 88-year-old owner your focus might be short term.

I go regardless but I am unique,:) i think the baseline for the Orioles is 2.1 to 2.6 million depending on how they perform and other factors. i think they would bottom out if a few years of losing around 1.8 million.

I believe the only year I haven't been to a game since 1979 was 2011. That year they drew 1.75 after 14 consecutive losing seasons.

I think the Orioles should tailor their pricing strategy to whatever method puts the most fans in the seats. If a team is a poor draw like the Rays, it would make sense to discount the tickets to promote higher attendance. If a team is a good draw, and/or has a strong out of town presence, then yes it would also make sense to charge more for those games than you would a Rays game. That said, there is a fine line between good business and pricing your own fan base out of going to the games. I think the Orioles flirted with the wrong side of that line this year with some of their "prime" games. I think to some degree fans are showing their discontent for this issue by not coming out as often this year. JMHO

I think the fans have shown that they don't need incentive. They just want to stay home. And cheer from a far.

Big Papi fans can attend his final appearance in the DC Metro area for 15 bucks. How can you beat that in a year when your team is in first place?

I was going to attend on Sunday but saw it was big truck day at the zoo. I am member of the zoo so it was free and I assumed my 2 year old daughter would prefer big truck day than seeing the game. If it were a smaller crowd I might have chosen Orioles.

Picked a fine time to leave them. Lucille.

I agree, but what can you do?

As many others have pointed out this is a multi-faceted issue, and I think affordability is one of them. Cost of living isn't cheap in MD, baseball is a long season, and going to a game can be expensive for even just 1 person - yes, you can do it cheap, but some people want the experience or don't wanna do it at all.

The Orioles had 8 select games in 2015. They had 23 this year. Should have kept some of those games as classic games.Tried to make more money on each ticket but it might have backfired.That is on top of a 20% increase in tickets for 2016.

Edited by grimed1

Should they be maximizing attendance or revenues? Short term you'd want max revenues. Long term it might be better to maximize people in the seats to grow the fanbase at the expense of some revenue. If you're an 88-year-old owner your focus might be short term.

But making revenue from TV offsets a small decrease in attendance. $48.5 million from a national TV contract and a $50 million or more profit on MASN helps for short term revenue.

I agree, but what can you do?

As many others have pointed out this is a multi-faceted issue, and I think affordability is one of them. Cost of living isn't cheap in MD, baseball is a long season, and going to a game can be expensive for even just 1 person - yes, you can do it cheap, but some people want the experience or don't wanna do it at all.

I've had some bad times

Lived through some sad times

But this time your hurtin' won't heal

I think short of giving the tickets away, they should attempt to maximize attendance. Concessions are outrageously priced, I think the loss in ticket revenue could be more than made up in concession sales. I know when I go to the game, rarely does my ticket cost me more than my concessions - and yes I know I can bring my own food in, not the point. And eventually once you have built stronger fan support, gradually maximize profit. The Orioles 20% hike this year was too much too soon, coming off a failed season no less - and despite the last 5 years the organization still have not lived down 1998-2011.

I think short of giving the tickets away, they should attempt to maximize attendance. Concessions are outrageously priced, I think the loss in ticket revenue could be more than made up in concession sales. I know when I go to the game, rarely does my ticket cost me more than my concessions - and yes I know I can bring my own food in, not the point. And eventually once you have built stronger fan support, gradually maximize profit. The Orioles 20% hike this year was too much too soon, coming off a failed season no less - and despite the last 5 years the organization still have not lived down 1998-2011.

Problem is people who are too cheap to pay for a ticket aren't going to pay for concessions.