Sign in to follow this  
Todd-O

Will the fans show?

Maybe with better crowd support they'd be doing better. Yes, I'm serious. It must be very deflating to have a 6-3 road trip, beating Detroit and Boston, and then find out that your fans aren't coming out to support you in critical games.

The Billy Beane Moneyball Oakland A's teams sure as hell didn't have any issues playing with a ton of heart and passion when nobody was going to their games. Neither did the Maddon/Friedman Rays teams. Hell, the Indians had 13 thousand people show up to watch them play yesterday and they won on a walk-off hit in the bottom of the ninth inning. Great teams like Maddon's Rays, Beane's A's and today's Indians take care of business know how matter little fan support they get. If the Orioles players can't get amped up to play the Red Sox in a must-win four game series because of lackluster fan support, they're a bunch of losers plain and simple.

• Upvote 1

Take it for what it's worth. But I can remember Boog Powell saying, "We used to pat ourselves on the back if we'd get 2 million fans to come see us" during the Talking Baseball show with Tom Davis back in the HTS days. These are tough times for a lot of us. It's not the 90's anymore.

o

I understand what Powell is saying, and I agree with his overall point ........ but his memory is inaccurate if he indeed said that.

When Powell was playing, drawing 1 Million fans in a year was considered a general mark of respectability.

In 1979 ........ 5 years after Powell was traded to the Indians, and 2 years after he retired ........ the Orioles drew the most fans that they ever had in their history in Baltimore since 1954 ...... 1.681 Million.

These are the Orioles' attendance figures between 1966 and 1974, when Powell and his teammates were at the height of their glory:

1966: ) 1.2 Million

1967: ) 955,000 (Less than a Million)

1968: ) 943,000 (less than a Million)

1969: ) 1.062 Million

1970: ) 1.057 Million

1971: ) 1.023 Million

1972: ) 899,000 (Less than a Million, 154-game season due to the Players Strike)

1973: ) 958,000 (Less than a Million)

1974: ) 1.002 Million (Barely over a Million)

o

I understand what Powell is saying, and I agree with his overall point ........ but his memory is inaccurate if he indeed said that

When Powell was playing, drawing 1 Million fans in a year was considered a general mark of respectability.

In 1979 ........ 5 years after Powell was traded to the Indians, and 2 years after he retired ........ the Orioles drew the most that they had in their history ...... 1.681 Million.

These are the Orioles' attendance figures between 1966 and 1974, when Powell and his teammates were at the height of their glory:

1972: ) 899,000 (Less than a Million, 154-game season due to the Players Strike)

Great work, as usual, Patrick. What is striking to me is that the city's population was probably higher then and the per capita income adjusted for inflation was probably higher too. So the 1960's - 1970's Baltimore area fans had even less excuse to attend than today's fans. Yet....the team won, because they trotted out a steady stream of HOF's and All Stars.

• Upvote 1

o

I understand what Powell is saying, and I agree with his overall point ........ but his memory is inaccurate if he indeed said that.

In 1979 ........ 5 years after Powell was traded to the Indians, and 2 years after he retired ........ the Orioles drew the most fans that they ever had in their history in Baltimore since 1954 ...... 1.681 Million.

Actually, I think it was my memory that was fuzzy and couldn't remember whether he said one million or two million. So I went with the high number. I pulled that from my memory of a show I saw one time over 20yrs ago.

Edited by OsEatAlEast

If they need a packed house to perform their jobs to the best of their ability then they all need to do a little self reflecting after the season. Take a little pride in what you do and play your tail off... and that should be the case whether it's empty or packed.

• Upvote 1

Actually, I think it was my memory that was fuzzy, and couldn't remember whether he said one million or two million. So I went with the high number.

o

OK, gotcha.

Thanks for the clarification. :cool:

If Orioles happen to make playoffs I will not go spend $1000's with a ton of frauds. I know thestill tons of good fans out there but more pieces of **** out there

Maybe with better crowd support they'd be doing better. Yes, I'm serious. It must be very deflating to have a 6-3 road trip, beating Detroit and Boston, and then find out that your fans aren't coming out to support you in critical games.

I don't totally disagree with you, as I believe some fan energy could've helped, but I must say I'm disappointed with Adam bringing this up like this. I don't even think his comments were at all egregious, but this team is busy choking away, just hemorrhaging away a playoff berth, and they are whining about fans? I get it, as I've posted a lot about our fans sucking, but the only thing that has been worse than the fan support has been the play this miserable homestand.

I'd like him to worry about solving David Price tomorrow, and maybe salvaging a win. Not this BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I don't totally disagree with you, as I believe some fan energy could've helped, but I must say I'm disappointed with Adam bringing this up like this. I don't even think his comments were at all egregious, but this team is busy choking away, just hemorrhaging away a playoff berth, and they are whining about fans? I get it, as I've posted a lot about our fans sucking, but the only thing that has been worse than the fan support has been the play this miserable homestand.

I'd like him to worry about solving David Price tomorrow, and maybe salvaging a win. Not this BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell me having a 6-3 road trip is choking? No one showed op after that.

You know what's sad? The Orioles play since the ASB.

Impossible to argue with this. The offense has been a disaster and they're way underachieving, they look like the Atlanta Braves.