Sign in to follow this  
Todd-O

Will the fans show?

Any continuing the conversation, I'm probably in the extreme minority, but I've never been that enamored by "authentic stuff." A napkin that was used by Ray Lewis is just a napkin to me. I've never really cared for autographs, game balls, mementos, or anything like that. Stuff is cool, but just because it was used by a famous person makes no difference to me.

People used to take it as a given that top starters have a large impact on attendance. Then they looked it up, and found it to be mostly untrue. I doubt poor starters have a measurable opposite impact.

I think there are a handful of guys who move the needle. Mark Fidrych did. Fernando Valenzuela did when he first hit the majors. Probably some of the first-ballot hall of famers. But it's pretty rare.

I think there are a handful of guys who move the needle. Mark Fidrych did. Fernando Valenzuela did when he first hit the majors. Probably some of the first-ballot hall of famers. But it's pretty rare.

Yep, a handful of short-term outliers. But the old idea that Nolan Ryan regularly bumped attendance 10k or 20k a game has been discredited.

Any continuing the conversation, I'm probably in the extreme minority, but I've never been that enamored by "authentic stuff." A napkin that was used by Ray Lewis is just a napkin to me. I've never really cared for autographs, game balls, mementos, or anything like that. Stuff is cool, but just because it was used by a famous person makes no difference to me.

I am with you. To me a TJ Mcfarland game worn jersey has the same value as a Manny Machado game worn jersey. I don't see the point of an adult getting an autograph from a player. Unless you are standing in line so you can get a photo with player I don't understand the desire to get autograph at fan fest.

Yep, a handful of short-term outliers. But the old idea that Nolan Ryan regularly bumped attendance 10k or 20k a game has been discredited.

I think Cal moved the needle when he played here.

But the list is pretty small that could do it.

Does Mike Trout effect attendance? I doubt he does. People go to the stadium for the experience. You could replace all the players with triple A players and attendance would drop at first but in a couple of years the attendance would be the same.

Maybe a bit at the end. But even there you'd have a very hard time teasing the effect out of the data as Oriole attendance fell 600k in Cal's last four years. It fell a further 300k in 2002 when he was gone, but how much of that was a 67-win season on the heels of a 63-win season?

Something in the modern human psyche that causes a grown man to plow through six toddlers to dive for a batting practice ball in the stands minutes after going through the line seven times to acquire an armload of newsboy caps. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

This is good and I agree.

However, NOTHING is worse than a grown man bringing a glove in the hopes of catching a ball. Real men don't bring gloves to spectate at baseball games.

Maybe a bit at the end. But even there you'd have a very hard time teasing the effect out of the data as Oriole attendance fell 600k in Cal's last four years. It fell a further 300k in 2002 when he was gone, but how much of that was a 67-win season on the heels of a 63-win season?

There road attendance was down as well. But both were back up the next year. It is hard to determine what effect he had on attendance.

Does Mike Trout effect attendance? I doubt he does. People go to the stadium for the experience. You could replace all the players with triple A players and attendance would drop at first but in a couple of years the attendance would be the same.

Depends on what you did with all the good players. In 1890 many of the best players went off and formed... wait for it... The Players League, and four of the top six in team attendance across three Major Leagues were in the new league. Fans gravitate mostly to the best players. Of course we haven't had a baseball case study in a century plus.

However, NOTHING is worse than a grown man bringing a glove in the hopes of catching a ball. Real men don't bring gloves to spectate at baseball games.

For my 40th birthday my wife arranged for me to throw out the first pitch at a Blue Crabs game. As I walked onto the field she handed me my glove, and I was immediately taunted by the PA guy for bringing my glove. As I should have been.

I am with you. To me a TJ Mcfarland game worn jersey has the same value as a Manny Machado game worn jersey. I don't see the point of an adult getting an autograph from a player. Unless you are standing in line so you can get a photo with player I don't understand the desire to get autograph at fan fest.

Well, its all about supply and demand and homo sapien's obsession with rarity and scarcity, even to inappropriate levels. What you can't obtain is always the most valuable and when it isn't. There are definitely some evolutionary advantages to this mentality, but we take it to ridiculous proportions. You can list on one hand the number single season of record breaking homerun balls that are documented in existence (Barry's, McGuire's, maybe Maris', and definitely not Ruth's). They serve no utility as a widget, but their rarity makes them priceless.

For me, the only thing that I would ever value for the celebrity effect would be the ability to sit down and have a conversation with a celebrity, and maybe have them remember me, or even be a part of their lives. Obviously that's super-duper scarce, valuable, and rare (as they only have a handful of people that they can remember and have meaningful interactions with) but its the only thing that I would value. I don't see how some paid-for photo-op is really adding any value to my life other than a cheesy Facebook profile picture. If I could pick the brain of a politician in power, a famous writer or director, famous scientist, or even one of my favorite players, I think that would be a priceless conversation. Its something that money can't buy, but you would certainly be in a rare, elite group if you could find a way to obtain it. When you compare it to having some ink on a piece of paper, I don't see how you compare the two.

In general, any statement that starts with "Real men don't..." is already off to a bad start. I think there can be legitimate reasons to bring a glove if you're sitting somewhere in the lower deck where foul balls can zoom into the stands at 100 mph.

• Thanks 1

In general, any statement that starts with "Real men don't..." is already off to a bad start. I think there can be legitimate reasons to bring a glove if you're sitting somewhere in the lower deck where foul balls can zoom into the stands at 100 mph.

I catch those liners in my teeth. And when that gets boring, I'll stand up and take it square in the chest, pick up the ball, and crush it between my thumb and index finger. Then sit down and continue sipping my straight grain alcohol.

I catch those liners in my teeth. And when that gets boring, I'll stand up and take it square in the chest, pick up the ball, and crush it between my thumb and index finger. Then sit down and continue sipping my straight grain alcohol.

Not to be preachy but I am sure there is a small child nearby that would enjoy the souvenir.