Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

Anyone out there paying attention to what Yermin Mercedes is doing in the minors?

Hes a 23 year old Dominican who catches, plays a little third base and some first base. He's relatively small..at 5'10(Yogi Berra was 5'9) but he is hitting the hell out of the ball.He's at .344 with 20 HR's and 77 RBI's in advanced A ball.

Power, average...runs a little bit and apparently not terrible behind the plate.

Sure, hes in A ball, but between the Sally League and the Carolina League is putting some impressive numbers.

Ive talked to some scouts about him and they are very intrigued.

Its a long way to go, biut he should be on someone's radar.

Anyione see him play?

Hes a 23 year old Dominican who catches, plays a little third base and some first base. He's relatively small..at 5'10(Yogi Berra was 5'9) but he is hitting the hell out of the ball.He's at .344 with 20 HR's and 77 RBI's in advanced A ball.

Power, average...runs a little bit and apparently not terrible behind the plate.

Sure, hes in A ball, but between the Sally League and the Carolina League is putting some impressive numbers.

Ive talked to some scouts about him and they are very intrigued.

Its a long way to go, biut he should be on someone's radar.

Anyione see him play?

Tony has. And so has DrShorebird. From what I recall, neither is overly impressed.

There has been tons of discussion of Mercedes (and any other decent prospect you care to name) on the minor league board. The MiL season has been over for about ten days, so his season is complete.

Here is the main Mercedes thread from the MiL board, though there are several others: http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/154071-Yermin-Mercedes?highlight=Mercedes

I have no additional knowledge whatsoever, but his numbers are impressive. Can he actually catch? He is a bit old for his leagues.

He's also the first player I've seen who's come out of the Peco League and done anything in affiliated ball. There may be others I'm not aware of, but the Pecos League is the craziest league in North American baseball. In 2014 Mercedes hit .411 with a 1.255 OPS, had three teammates with .940+ OPSes, and his team went 26-32. In 2014 the Pecos League averaged 7.7 runs/team/game, and hit .314. As a league. This year they have 12 qualifying players hitting over .400. There's a pitcher named Cameron Powers who's been in the league for three seasons, pitched 45 games (22 starts), and has a 9.29 ERA.

My concern is that he is/will be a 6 year minor league f/a. If we to not protect him on the 40 man roster, we need to trade him now and or have an agreement he will resign with us and pay him more to resign.

I have no additional knowledge whatsoever, but his numbers are impressive. Can he actually catch? He is a bit old for his leagues.

He's also the first player I've seen who's come out of the Peco League and done anything in affiliated ball. There may be others I'm not aware of, but the Pecos League is the craziest league in North American baseball. In 2014 Mercedes hit .411 with a 1.255 OPS, had three teammates with .940+ OPSes, and his team went 26-32. In 2014 the Pecos League averaged 7.7 runs/team/game, and hit .314. As a league. This year they have 12 qualifying players hitting over .400. There's a pitcher named Cameron Powers who's been in the league for three seasons, pitched 45 games (22 starts), and has a 9.29 ERA.

Was just reading about the Pecos League. Their website attributes the crazy offensive numbers to small ballparks with most of the teams playing in high altitude towns. Hmm

My concern is that he is/will be a 6 year minor league f/a. If we to not protect him on the 40 man roster, we need to trade him now and or have an agreement he will resign with us and pay him more to resign.

Is he? What are the rules for a minor league free agent? He was out of affiliated ball in 2014, only signed a contract with the Orioles in 2015.

Is he? What are the rules for a minor league free agent? He was out of affiliated ball in 2014, only signed a contract with the Orioles in 2015.

I do not think he is a free agent.

Was just reading about the Pecos League. Their website attributes the crazy offensive numbers to small ballparks with most of the teams playing in high altitude towns. Hmm

That sounds about right. I'm glad they exist. If they ever signed a real prospect the guy might hit .550. Or more... the current league record for batting average is .518, by someone named Johnny Bladel who hit under .300 in other indy leagues. Look at Chevas Numata. In '15 he hit .410 with 32 homers in 217 ABs. This year Daniel Aldrich hit .160 in the Frontier League, then moved to the Pecos where he's hit .415/.500/.979 with 24 homers in 168 PAs. Outside of the years Bonds was doing his thing I don't know that I've ever seen a 1.400 OPS before.

That sounds about right. I'm glad they exist. If they ever signed a real prospect the guy might hit .550. Or more... the current league record for batting average is .518, by someone named Johnny Bladel who hit under .300 in other indy leagues. Look at Chevas Numata. In '15 he hit .410 with 32 homers in 217 ABs. This year Daniel Aldrich hit .160 in the Frontier League, then moved to the Pecos where he's hit .415/.500/.979 with 24 homers in 168 PAs. Outside of the years Bonds was doing his thing I don't know that I've ever seen a 1.400 OPS before.

So none of the guys can hit in other leagues but are probably good at fielding and base running. Maybe I should try out. No wait I suck at everything. Where do they find pitchers for this league? Maybe the players' dads pitch if no one else is available.