weams

Mancini talk, 2017

If it wasn't for Judge, I think Mancini could have a real shot at AL ROTY. His fielding is a lot better than I expected. Hey Chris Davis, take your time. 

The great hitters use the whole field.   Mancini does it.   Machado does it.    Castillo does it.     That doesn't make each of them great hitters.   They just have the best hitting approach.      Most of the other Orioles hitters just flirt with the concept.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

The great hitters use the whole field.   Mancini does it.   Machado does it.    Castillo does it.     That doesn't make each of them great hitters.   They just have the best hitting approach.      Most of the other Orioles hitters just flirt with the concept.

You forgot Schoop, Jones and Trumbo.  Of late they are using the bigger part of the field and hits have started to fall in.

11 hours ago, ReclaimTheCrown said:

Maybe I'm doing this wrong, but Jon Schoop has 400 careers K's and 61 career walks, giving him a much higher rate (closer to 6). Obviously he's been better this year, but it's still just under 4. Even that, though, indicates an ability to improve over time in that regard (though we'll see if Jon can sustain that improvement).

Another pretty good candidate is Jones, who is at just over 4.2 over his long career. Not quite as high as Trey's so far, but not in another universe.

I'd additionally argue that the sample size is too small to be a big concern.

I take the point and appreciate you pulling up those stats, but not sure I'm sweating it just yet.

Well, the difference between the two is their age and strikeout rate. Schoop is still only five months older than Mancini. He had a really high strikeout rate early on because he was rushed to the big leagues and wasn't ready for ML pitching. His strikeout rate last year when he was the same age that Mancini is right now was 21.2%. That's a heck of a lot better than the 27% strikeout rate Mancini has right now. And the highest strikeout rate Adam Jones has had was 21.0% during his rookie year. Since that season, he's never had a strikeout rate above 20.0%. Neither player walks a lot but their strikeout rate when they were mature offensive players wasn't terrible. A 27.0% strikeout rate is just not good especially when you combine that with a 6.0% walk percentage. 

The guy should be an AS.  He's about a week's worth of PA's away for qualifying for the batting title.  Right now he'd rank 5th in AVG. and 6th in OPS in the AL.  

On 9/18/2016 at 11:16 AM, weams said:

(The OP, September of 2016)

Mancini has a locker.

He has not been activated yet, as there needs to be a 40-man move.

o

Mancini appears to be determined to keep that Major League locker.

o

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The guy should be an AS.  He's about a week's worth of PA's away for qualifying for the batting title.  Right now he'd rank 5th in AVG. and 6th in OPS in the AL.  

Come on! He stinks and should not even be in the majors, this is why we spent big time to keep Davis.

4 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

Come on! He stinks and should not even be in the majors, this is why we spent big time to keep Davis.

Honestly, even though Mancini was very good in AA in 2015, I wouldn't have expected management to consider Mancini a big factor in the decision about whether to keep Davis.    

I'm only half joking when I say the O's should see if the Red Sox would be interested in Chris Davis in a trade, which would free up Mancini or Trumbo to take over 1B and get something of a rebuild started.  Red Sox badly miss Ortiz's left handed power bat.   I doubt they would go for Davis, even with salary relief, but it's maybe only a matter of time before the Sox start to get desperate for those missing LH home runs.

1 hour ago, CheeryO said:

I'm only half joking when I say the O's should see if the Red Sox would be interested in Chris Davis in a trade, which would free up Mancini or Trumbo to take over 1B and get something of a rebuild started.  Red Sox badly miss Ortiz's left handed power bat.   I doubt they would go for Davis, even with salary relief, but it's maybe only a matter of time before the Sox start to get desperate for those missing LH home runs.

Why would the Sox want Davis, Morelands doing finer and a lot cheaper 

.266 .359 .463 .823
  • Upvote 1

One thing that sticks out to me about Mancini is his quick bat.   He really doesn't mind waiting on pitches and driving them the other way.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Why would the Sox want Davis, Morelands doing finer and a lot cheaper 

.266 .359 .463 .823

I guess you're right, though one of them could DH or play position other than 1B, especially since HanRam is hitting only OK.  Moreland is good but I always thought he was more of a platoon player.  Neither Ramirez nor Moreland hit as many homers as Davis, and I'm sure the Red Sox want another big lefty bat for Fenway.

21 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

One thing that sticks out to me about Mancini is his quick bat.   He really doesn't mind waiting on pitches and driving them the other way.

Machado was the same way. Hopefully he doesn't fall into everyone's bad habits. 

12 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

I guess you're right, though one of them could DH or play position other than 1B, especially since HanRam is hitting only OK.  Moreland is good but I always thought he was more of a platoon player.  Neither Ramirez nor Moreland hit as many homers as Davis, and I'm sure the Red Sox want another big lefty bat for Fenway.

Not at 23M per.