weams

Mancini talk, 2017

Just now, CheeryO said:

That's why I hinted at salary relief.

It would be for us but not for BOS. They need SP not more bats.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The guy should be an AS.  He's about a week's worth of PA's away for qualifying for the batting title.  Right now he'd rank 5th in AVG. and 6th in OPS in the AL.  

If it wasn't for unfrozen caveman baseball player in the Bronx, Mancini would have a shot at rookie of the year.  Still might, a lot of baseball left to be played. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

It would be for us but not for BOS. They need SP not more bats.

The Red Sox have the fourth fewest home runs in the league -- only 75.  They miss Ortiz badly.  Meanwhile they have the seventh best ERA in baseball.  Their hitting is definitely a bigger problem than their pitching (though that could change I guess with ERod on the DL and Price's cracked nail).

Don't know what you mean by it would be for us but not for Boston.  By salary relief I mean the O's would eat part of Davis' salary in a trade.

17 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

The Red Sox have the fourth fewest home runs in the league -- only 75.  They miss Ortiz badly.  Meanwhile they have the seventh best ERA in baseball.  Their hitting is definitely a bigger problem than their pitching (though that could change I guess with ERod on the DL and Price's cracked nail).

Don't know what you mean by it would be for us but not for Boston.  By salary relief I mean the O's would eat part of Davis' salary in a trade.

Much easier to just trade Manny for there top two prospect plus some lesser ones. Their SP doesn't llook that good to me after Sale and EdRod. They don't need Davis.

The only thing I don't like about Mancini is that he switched from 67 to 16 the day before the Mancini jersey my wife got me came in...

He was given an opportunity to show what he can do and has proven it. 

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, even though Mancini was very good in AA in 2015, I wouldn't have expected management to consider Mancini a big factor in the decision about whether to keep Davis.    

Agree totally about Davis, but I saw enough to think he and others could replace Trumbo. I think he made the Trumbo signing incredibly redundant and they could have used the money to get a SP or better COF for left. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, even though Mancini was very good in AA in 2015, I wouldn't have expected management to consider Mancini a big factor in the decision about whether to keep Davis.    

That surprises me. I thought the normal way to do business in baseball is to properly identify your prospects and then be sure to NOT block them. Then in turn take that money and put it towards starting pitching, Manny or something like that. I would contend that the failure regarding Mancini is that they simply miscalculated how he would perform in the bigs. And this appears to be a serious problem for the organization. 

3 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

That surprises me. I thought the normal way to do business in baseball is to properly identify your prospects and then be sure to NOT block them. Then in turn take that money and put it towards starting pitching, Manny or something like that. I would contend that the failure regarding Mancini is that they simply miscalculated how he would perform in the bigs. And this appears to be a serious problem for the organization. 

And his ability to play outfield. That to me is the bigger miss.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And his ability to play outfield. That to me is the bigger miss.

Yes, that is an excellent point. They should have had him out there in the minors. He appears to be (I can only go by the "eye test") more athletic and capable than Trumbo.

7 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

I agree they miscalculated Mancini's abilities.    Well, better to have underrated him than to have overrated him, I suppose.    I don't think it's always that easy to forecast which minor leaguers will have success in the majors.    It's not like Mancini was on any top 100 lists.    He was underrated pretty much universally.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree they miscalculated Mancini's abilities.    Well, better to have underrated him than to have overrated him, I suppose.    I don't think it's always that easy to forecast which minor leaguers will have success in the majors.    It's not like Mancini was on any top 100 lists.    He was underrated pretty much universally.

And ironically, the knock on him from the scouting world was always that he had a slow bat that wouldn't be able to play against quality MLB fastballs.  Which just goes to show that youneverknow how players will develop.  Of course he could join a long line of players who started great and faded quickly, but he's certainly impressed so far.  A very close friend mine is very involved with the ND baseball program and has said that Mancini's one of the best people he's ever worked with.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, pastorfan said:

And this appears to be a serious problem for the organization. 

It is and has been for a while. Yes, "can't miss" prospects like Machado and Weiters are great to have in a system, but finding those other ones are important. I believe there are several MLB potential players in the Orioles system that could contribute, but probably won't ever get the chance (atleast with the Orioles) due to some inability in the organization to properly help develop them.

19 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I wonder if Sisco will follow suit?

He's going to hit for average -- book it.     Whether he can stick at catcher is unclear to me, but count me as pessimistic on that front.   

13 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If it wasn't for unfrozen caveman baseball player in the Bronx, Mancini would have a shot at rookie of the year.  Still might, a lot of baseball left to be played. 

I'm just a simple caveman, I'm unfamiliar with your complicated saber metrics.