weams

Mancini talk, 2017

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm tired of all this media love slobbering all over Judge and Bellinger. When is our guy going to get some recognition??

When he's wearing pinstripes in 2023?

3 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

And ironically, the knock on him from the scouting world was always that he had a slow bat that wouldn't be able to play against quality MLB fastballs.  Which just goes to show that youneverknow how players will develop.  Of course he could join a long line of players who started great and faded quickly, but he's certainly impressed so far.  A very close friend mine is very involved with the ND baseball program and has said that Mancini's one of the best people he's ever worked with.

Mancini looks to have the fastest bat on the team, he can turn on an inside pitch better then any other Oriole. If I get time I'm going to look up a scouting report on Trey, curious to see the full write up.     

2 hours ago, osfan83 said:

I'm just a simple caveman, I'm unfamiliar with your complicated saber metrics. 

Maybe I don't know how calculate VORP or explain a pitcher's WHIP.  And when I see myself on the jumbotron, I get scared and think have the spirits captured my soul.  But what I do know is how mash 500 foot home runs and lead the league in runs batted in.    

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

He's going to hit for average -- book it.     Whether he can stick at catcher is unclear to me, but count me as pessimistic on that front.   

He doesn't seem to have much power.  So what do you do with a guy at the MLB if he can't man the catcher position, doesn't hit for power, but can hit for a decent average?  Sounds like a solid bench player to me, or maybe a DH.  Where else would you put him?

16 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Much easier to just trade Manny for there top two prospect plus some lesser ones. Their SP doesn't llook that good to me after Sale and EdRod. They don't need Davis.

Much easier to trade Manny to them?  Maybe, but only if the Red Sox were willing to give up the farm for the most disappointing hitter in 2017, and only if the O's were willing to trade him.  The Red Sox need a big home run hitter as much as any team in the league.  Davis might not be that guy, but all you have to do is look at their numbers to determine their struggles this year are mainly because they are not hitting for any power.  Davis, for all his flaws, is having a better year than Hanley Ramirez, and he is definitely having a better year than any of their third basemen -- a position Davis can also play.

As far as their starting pitching is concerned, I can't see the Red Sox bumping any of their starters except Fister, and he'll get bumped any way when ERod gets back.  The Red Sox have gotta believe Price, Porcello and Pomweranz will improve.  They've all had their struggles but none have been that bad.

4 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm tired of all this media love slobbering all over Judge and Bellinger. When is our guy going to get some recognition??

When our team stops sucking up the division.

58 minutes ago, esmd said:

He doesn't seem to have much power.  So what do you do with a guy at the MLB if he can't man the catcher position, doesn't hit for power, but can hit for a decent average?  Sounds like a solid bench player to me, or maybe a DH.  Where else would you put him?

Power can be slow to develop.

He does have some raw power.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/188659034/v920516783

Not sure why you are projecting him to have a "decent" average?  If he can get on base than I would play him in the middle infield, the outfield, third base...

Remember teams other than the Orioles value the ability to avoid making outs.

14 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

When our team stops sucking up the division.

You really think that the hyped coverage of Judge is because the Yankees are a full four games ahead of us in the standings?

It is kind of crazy Mancini get's no attention from the national media. I'm not expecting Judge level coverage but even on national TV the announcers are just like "Here comes Trey Mancini who is having  a solid year" and that's that. 

Davis is not a 3B and BOS would be delighted to take Manny off our hands. Their top 2 prospects are a 3B and a LHP. They also have a SS prospect further down. They have scored more runs than the O's in spite of hitting 34 less HR. The have better 1B than Davis and a promising 1B prospect currently on the team. They could use a GG 3B who will hit at least 30 HR.

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

You really think that the hyped coverage of Judge is because the Yankees are a full four games ahead of us in the standings?

I do think part of the appeal is Judge's freak physical stature. 

I think he would be getting a fair amount of attention if he were doing this for another team.

Dude's gigantic.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Well, first of all Judge leads the league in home runs.  That's obviously impressive for any player, especially a young one breaking out.  But also unlike Mancini he was a top 100 prospect.  I don't think Mancini ever was, so I suspect a lot of people think Mancini will come back to earth more so than Judge -- sooner or later.  We'll have to wait and see.  But yes the fact that Judge is a Yankee gets him a lot more attention than it would otherwise.  Not like he doesn't deserve it, though.  If Mancini keeps up what he's doing then more hype will come his way for sure too.  It's pretty amazing that the O's two best hitters this year by a good margin are Schoop and Mancini.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Davis is not a 3B and BOS would be delighted to take Manny off our hands. Their top 2 prospects are a 3B and a LHP. They also have a SS prospect further down. They have scored more runs than the O's in spite of hitting 34 less HR. The have better 1B than Davis and a promising 1B prospect currently on the team. They could use a GG 3B who will hit at least 30 HR.

Yeah, I don't disagree with the idea of trading Manny to Boston.  I just think Angelos would never do it, even if he did green light a rebuild.  They don't have a better 1B than Davis.  Better value 1B than Davis, yes, but not better.  Thus far Moreland is outperforming his career numbers, while Davis is under-performing his.

2 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

It is kind of crazy Mancini get's no attention from the national media. I'm not expecting Judge level coverage but even on national TV the announcers are just like "Here comes Trey Mancini who is having  a solid year" and that's that. 

Yesterday the Rays announcer called him "rookie sensation" Trey Mancini.

Didn't even realize how good Mancini has been until I looked. Wow.  Just killing it across the board.

240 PA's but I mean pushing 1.000 OPS is an amazing start. 

If Trey keeps this up, hope Trumbo finishes strong and move him. Screw "clubhouse chemistry".