ChuckS

Buck Stuff

An extremely fair and accurate comparison.

A great coach made a horrible decision that will be remembered forever as a blot on his fine record. He has come back and continued to do a good job as Seahawks coach and may get another chance or two to win it all and hoist the trophy. But no one will ever forget that play call.

Pete Carroll was saved because he had just won a Super Bowl the year before.

Buck is just the opposite in that he has a great coaching legacy but hasn't shown the ability to get his team a championship. On top of that 2/3 of his team went on to win the championship immediately after he leaves.

He finally had an interview that didn't consist of a half drunk Gary Thorne laughing and agreeing the entire time.

As a Buck fan, he did get snippy with that one reporter. I think he was from The NY Times.

See, I don't think he got snippy. He let him ask his questions.

Dear God...you guys are getting pathetic.

Let me ask you this.

What happens if Buck plays it like everyone wanted him to and pitches Zach in the 9th and 10th, and lets say he has 40 pitches (he's done there). The Orioles score one run in the 11th and now its a 3-2 game. Now we have someone trying to close it out who hasn't closed all year. So if Edwin still hits that homerun, everyone is still pissed that Buck wasted Britton in the 9th instead of saving him. He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

Buck was waiting for one of our guys to go deep, just one run and he was running out to get Zach in. It didn't happen. We need to play better and win the division next year. Plain and simple. Rant over.

After thinking over things, the more questionable move might even be bringing in Ubaldo over Bundy.

As we all know, Buck is big on sample sizes and past experiences. From what I remember, Ubaldo had terrible outings out of the BP and he's knowingly terrible in the first inning or two. Then you have Bundy who has had a good amount of experience pitching from the BP and did it pretty damn well for us before entering the rotation.

Let me ask you this.

What happens if Buck plays it like everyone wanted him to and pitches Zach in the 9th and 10th, and lets say he has 40 pitches (he's done there). The Orioles score one run in the 11th and now its a 3-2 game. Now we have someone trying to close it out who hasn't closed all year. So if Edwin still hits that homerun, everyone is still pissed that Buck wasted Britton in the 9th instead of saving him. He was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

Buck was waiting for one of our guys to go deep, just one run and he was running out to get Zach in. It didn't happen. We need to play better and win the division next year. Plain and simple. Rant over.

Oh please. Both O'Day and Hunter had closing experience. You don't lose a win or go home game without even using him. That is absurd and it's just as absurd to sit here and defend it. I don't think anyone would have

been upset if we got two scoreless innings out of Britton. Saving him for a save situation in an extra inning one game playoff is indefensible. He was the best pitcher in baseball and you're sitting here defending not using

him at all in the most important game of the year because it wasn't a save situation. Gibbons out managed Showalter and used his pitchers effectively and correctly. Osuna is their best bullpen arm and he got the

most he could possibly get out of him before looking elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

False. Just because it's not a closer in a save situation doesn't mean an automatic HR.

Edwin homered because Buck put a HR prone pitcher on the mound while a historically great groundball pitcher was sitting unused.

And yea I must be pathetic, because I spent $2000 on playoff games that will never happen. Yea, I'll get refunded, but it's not about that. Why am I spending time and money on this when the manager won't even play the best players?

The same Edwin who hasn't had a hit off Ubaldo. The same Ubaldo who had a whip under 0.8 in the second half. Yes.

Secondly, don't complain about spending on playoff tickets, you'll get a refund. Lighten up fellas, its baseball. February will be here soon and I guarantee this team will come to compete.

Oh please. Both O'Day and Hunter had closing experience. You don't lose a win or go home game without even using him. That is absurd and it's just as absurd to sit here and defend it. I don't think anyone would have

been upset if we got two scoreless innings out of Britton. Saving him for a save situation in an extra inning one game playoff is indefensible. He was the best pitcher in baseball and you're sitting here defending not using

him at all in the most important game of the year because it wasn't a save situation. Gibbons out managed Showalter and used his pitchers effectively and correctly. Osuna is their best bullpen arm and he got the

Right, except O'day was already used...and if Hunter closes...well we know what his ERA was when he closed for Baltimore...Britton took over.

Because that's what you do as the home team.

Baltimore fans...yes. They're blaming Ubaldo for this loss too. Its on the offense. If they show up we win. Not to mention without Ubaldo in the 2nd half, this team isn't even playing in the WC game.

Davis just got 7/160. Manny wants 30+ million a year. MW wants russel Martin money. They all choked at the plate. Buck made a mistake. But how can anyone assume we were going to score when we couldn't even get a base runner? Lol

Baltimore fans...yes. They're blaming Ubaldo for this loss too. Its on the offense. If they show up we win. Not to mention without Ubaldo in the 2nd half, this team isn't even playing in the WC game.

The Orioles lost a game in extra innings with a reliever who just posted the lowest ERA in the history of baseball still available in the bullpen. Yes the offense stunk tonight but one person deserves the lion's share of the blame for the loss tonight and it's not Adam Jones or Manny Machado or Jonathan Schoop.

Right, except O'day was already used...and if Hunter closes...well we know what his ERA was when he closed for Baltimore...Britton took over.

Too bad Britton couldn't take over when the season was on the line because it's more important for him to get a save than to give the offense two more innings to score a run. Hunter could have been used. Hell, Buck

could have just played matchups in the chance that the Orioles got the lead in extras. Use multiple pitchers based on who is hitting. Think outside the box. Use any and everything you have and be creative. Buck cannot

manage in the postseason. His track record speaks for itself.

Secondly, don't complain about spending on playoff tickets, you'll get a refund

I know I'll get a refund, I literally said that in my post.

I'm also saying I have no desire to follow a team lead by such inexplicable ineptitude.

Let me ask you this.

That is absurd. Nobody would have faulted Buck for losing with Ubaldo if that was all he had left.

Going out of your way to not use Britton deserves all the blame and critism he has coming.

Too bad Britton couldn't take over when the season was on the line because it's more important for him to get a save than to give the offense two more innings to score a run. Hunter could have been used. Hell, Buck

could have just played matchups in the chance that the Orioles got the lead in extras. Use multiple pitchers based on who is hitting. Think outside the box. Use any and everything you have and be creative. Buck cannot

manage in the postseason. His track record speaks for itself.

It's almost like he saw Gibbons goto Liriano so he felt like he had to match him with Ubaldo. He still had better options before going to Ubaldo and yes, I know Ubaldo has been good but it's different when you're coming in from pen especially for a guy that is shaky in the first few innings every almost every start.

The same Edwin who hasn't had a hit off Ubaldo. The same Ubaldo who had a whip under 0.8 in the second half. Yes.

Secondly, don't complain about spending on playoff tickets, you'll get a refund. Lighten up fellas, its baseball. February will be here soon and I guarantee this team will come to compete.

The same Ubaldo that has his highest ERA (7.77) and opposing OPS allowed (.995) in the first inning? That Ubaldo?

So...Ubaldo's late season turnaround as a starter justifies his use out of the bullpen in last night's game, but Hunter's previous closing trouble disqualifies him?

Either way, if it's being offered, I'll take "guarding a lead with a shaky closer" over letting Ubaldo pitch in a tie game, runners on, with Britton idling. Defending that decision makes about as much sense as running an extension cord through your swimming pool.