VeveJones007

Poll: Fireable Offense?

Was not pitching Britton in the WC game a fireable offense for the O's manager?  

184 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Was not pitching Britton in the WC game a fireable offense for the O's manager?

• Yes
    • No

I'm tired of people giving Buck credit for every single thing. MacPhail and even Duquette deserve more credit for the Orioles success because they were the ones who put together his roster. The GM's always been more far more important to a baseball team's success than the manager.

Some of us are tired of the haters.

So to sum up... Fans want manager of team not expected to make playoffs and given up on routinely in August and September to get fired... For not winning when he got to playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buck had a 69 win season before DD came along.

He also finished the year before that, 34-23 and before DD came along.

So he still had a losing record before DD cam along even if you include 34-23. He as 103-116 before DD. Did Buck hire the pitching coaches that Arrieta had such kind words for?

I will give credit to Buck for turning the team around. Going around Andy to Angelos to get personal decisions done I think was done. I think the ex-Ranger players that came over were because of Buck.

This team was projected to finish last and he managed it the winning record and a wildcard opportunity. We had the same regular season record as Toronto besides them having a better run differential. So no... it's not a fireable offense.

So to sum up... Fans want manager of team not expected to make playoffs and given up on routinely in August and September to get fired... For not winning when he got to playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going by that logic, what makes Buck any different from Dusty Baker? Dusty has taken all four teams that he's managed to the playoffs. And it's not like Dusty's taken over perennial winners either. The Cubs had won fewer than 70 games in three of the four previous seasons before Dusty's arrival and the Reds had an ongoing streak of seven consecutive losing seasons before they hired Baker.

BTW, my response is "no" based on track record, but that was an egregious error in judgment that would warrant some sort of suspension from your employer in many lines of work.

I'd say that the bulk of Bucks decisions are good ones, so no why fire him for one head scratcher. Any way the notion is ridiculous on its face.

Was not pitching Zach Britton in the WC game a fireable offense for the manager?

Hell no. Why do you want to fire Buck? You honestly think that Britton coming in would have made a difference? The offense went into hiding. Just accept the fact the team lost. No one need be fired. This same Buck led the team to 89 wins. To me that is damn good. There are teams out there that would love to have had the

O's record.

The poll question asks if it was a firing offense "for the O's manager." I interpret that to mean the question is asking whether Buck should be fired for his decisions last night. We are not talking about some abstract manager. Remember, the poll was posted when there were several threads already posted saying Buck should be fired.

Can you ever fire a manager because he made a bad decision in extra innings of a playoff game? Yeah, sure, but only if you consider it in the context of his whole body of work, how the team is likely to react, who else you would get to manage the team, etc. In Buck's case, it is not a firing offense, or even close, IMO.

There's a reason I didn't name Buck in the question, but it's impossible to separate the two given how close we are to the situation. If it were a poor to average manager, I think last night would have been a tipping point. Given that Buck has a solid track record of success, it's a major blemish, but not worthy of termination.

Hell no. Why do you want to fire Buck? You honestly think that Britton coming in would have made a difference? The offense went into hiding. Just accept the fact the team lost. No one need be fired. This same Buck led the team to 89 wins. To me that is damn good. There are teams out there that would love to have had the

O's record.

Didn't say I wanted to fire Buck. See my response above.

Edited by VeveJones007

I'd say that the bulk of Bucks decisions are good ones, so no why fire him for one head scratcher. Any way the notion is ridiculous on its face.

I posed the question to take the temperature of the fans here. I think >95% of us are upset that Britton never pitched in that game, but I wanted to see how far we were willing to take it.

That being said, someone mentioned "falling asleep on the job," which I think is an apt comparison. In a vacuum, is it a fireable offense? Sure. When it's a really good employee who has been responsible for turning around your business, you let it slide.