Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

2016 #3 Prospect: Chance Sisco - C

On 8/5/2017 at 7:57 AM, Frobby said:

For what it's worth, Sisco has gotten a little better at nailing runners since the year began.   He got off to an awful start -- 0 for 10 in his first six games of the year.    After that, he was 6 for 28 through May 20 (21%), for a cumulative 6 for 38 (16%).     From then until now, he's 12 for 44 (27%).    In his last 13 starts, only 8 runners have attempted to steal on him, so maybe word is getting around that he's not as vulnerable as he used to be.     

Also since June 1, he is hitting approximately 300/355/410 which is 13% better than league average. Plus he still has to hit in Norfolk half the time which is definitely suppressing stats a little. He just needed a month or so to adjust.

For what it's worth, Sisco has gotten a little better at nailing runners since the year began.   He got off to an awful start -- 0 for 10 in his first six games of the year.    After that, he was 6 for 28 through May 20 (21%), for a cumulative 6 for 38 (16%).     From then until now, he's 12 for 44 (27%).    In his last 13 starts, only 8 runners have attempted to steal on him, so maybe word is getting around that he's not as vulnerable as he used to be.     

I think players tend to attempt steals less as the year goes on - due to wear and tear - but the improved stats are very encouraging.  I want to see more power, as well - like he showed in Cumber's last post.  

From August 5 to now, he's thrown out 2 of 8 (in 11 starts).    Runners are definitely testing him less as the season wears on.   Ruzious may be correct that it's partly due to late season wear and tear on the runners.    I'll have to test that hypothesis at some point.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

From August 5 to now, he's thrown out 2 of 8 (in 11 starts).    Runners are definitely testing him less as the season wears on.   Ruzious may be correct that it's partly due to late season wear and tear on the runners.    I'll have to test that hypothesis at some point.    

I've noticed it in the other levels too. As the season goes on, there are less steal attempts overall. There might be 1 a game, as opposed to 3 or 4.

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

So, I couldn't get league-wide 1st half/2nd half splits at the minor league levels, but in the majors, the difference is pretty minimal.   I looked at the AL for each of the last 4 years and the biggest difference in any year was about .07 steal attempts per game; the average differential over the four years was probably half that.    

Through May 20, runners had attempted about 1.23 steals/game on Sisco; from May 21-July 7 it was 1.20; from July 8 to now it's only .67.    That can't be explained by a league-wide drop.   The most logical explanation is that as Sisco has reached respectability in throwing runners out as the season has progressed, runners have gotten more conservative about running on him.     It's no longer a track meet every time he catches.    I'm not saying he's even average at throwing out runners, but he's been at least respectable the last three months.   

• Like 1

On 8/24/2017 at 8:13 AM, Say O! said:

Ease into MLB next year splitting duties with CJ.  Put the Castillo money toward some pitching or Machado extension.  

That'll be up to Castillo. He has a player option for next year.

4 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

That'll be up to Castillo. He has a player option for next year.

I think that would be an easy contract to trade.  Might not get much back but I'm reasonably sure someone would be willing to take it on.