Sign in to follow this  
33rd&Ellerslie

Buster Olney: Orioles Hire Andy McPhail as COO! Girardi Appears Next!

Yea, i can't say i am excited by his hire.

He will have a much larger voice in player personnel decision than Foss did, that's for sure.

You don't bring in a guy with his pedigree to just be quiet and worry about ticket sales.

He's a pal of Angelos, which is how he got here. Hopefully he can be a voice of reason to Angelos and keep him from meddling in everything

No it is not a dumb question, because I want to know the same thing:)

It seems to vary from team to team. Under Foss, it was strictly a business-side job. I'm hoping that based on MacPhail's background it's now going to be more than that.

I wonder what this means for McPhail's links to the commissioner job.

He was pretty widely regarded as the frontrunner to succeed Selig.

I can't believe it... Andy Macphail has crashed the hangout. ;)

Yeah, its like the Who's-Who of the Hangout right now! If you ain't here right now, please raise your hand!

Its been an hour...any press conference scheduled yet?

He's a pal of Angelos, which is how he got here. Hopefully he can be a voice of reason to Angelos and keep him from meddling in everything
Exactly...He wasn't brought in because of his accomplishments or lack there of...He is another version of Flanagan but with mroe experience and accomplishments in his career.

However, he is a typical retread hire by this team.

Dave's comments don't inspire much confidence in him....The only thing is, maybe he will convince PA that we need to rebuild.

Guest oriofan8

Just had another thought....

PA hires McPhail, and he is our new COO, and probably with more reponsibility than Foss. Pete hires McPhail and steps back and lets McPhail take care of the "dirty work". Maybe McPhail makes the decision on who stays and who goes. McPhail could fire Flanny, and or Duq, or both, and takes over duties of GM on temporary basis, and hire a new GM of his choice....pretty interesting.

Guest rochester
Exactly...He wasn't brought in because of his accomplishments or lack there of...He is another version of Flanagan but with mroe experience and accomplishments in his career.

Dave's comments don't inspire much confidence in him....The only thing is, maybe he will convince PA that we need to rebuild.

I agree but wasn't Hendry the talk of the town in the Florida meetings as the next coming?

If the big gripe coming out of Chicago was he would not allow the GM to drop 300M in an offseason, I don't see how that is a bad thing. If the big complaint is he isnt a fan of 100M contracts, I figured you would love this guy, as you want a younger, cheaper team.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13386-2004Jun28_3.html

Selig persuaded Angelos to work on the negotiating committee along with one other club executive, Cubs President and CEO Andrew B. MacPhail. Selig said he chose Angelos because he was a proven negotiator and "knew the business. He understood how the economics of the business had changed . . . This was not something he volunteered to do. I had to be pretty persuasive."

"It was the most important job anyone could take on, and he did it," said Peter A. Magowan, the managing general partner of the San Francisco Giants. "To be asked by the commissioner to participate on a matter of that importance, it's almost like the president of the United States asking you. It's an honor."

Angelos is said to have played a central role in getting the players' association to agree to unprecedented concessions. He also helped define the owners' newfound tenacity against the players' union. During one negotiating session on steroid testing, which the union resisted, Angelos engaged in a heated exchange with associate general counsel Gene Orza in a scene two senior MLB officials described as "ugly."

Selig said, "I don't think we would have ended up where we are without Peter Angelos and Andy MacPhail."

I do not like doing this but....I find it really hard to believe that all of the above is even remotely true...

Tremblay - I could see

Flanaduq - there is no way that they know that they are out.

Blow it up - I am not sure what this means. In most instances PA has ok'd IF the case is made.

As far as leakage.... to say this is just another example of incompetence is just plain wrong....how many times do we see "insider" info here. Plus, the above pretty much cements this. Bomp, please do not take this the wrong way but I am sure many "contacts" may come from "the office". This happens everywhere.

I don't think it was intended that they would know that they were out. They have enemies. No surprise. They have tough jobs and make unpopular decisions. I'm sure it was leaked because of that.

Pete doesn't normally OK blow it up. He likes establishing relationships...think Syd and Flanny. Mora and Gibbons.

I take no offense. I'm not sure I'd believe me either. :D

Take it with a grain of salt. I believe my source was given that info to leak. He didn't say that but I got his 'message'.

I'm going back to work now before I lose my job! ;)