Jump to content
FanSince88

Sign Bourn and Pagan and presto we have an outfield

Recommended Posts

I would like to see this team sign two outfielders to shorter term deals.  

Number one on my list would be Pagan.  Number two would be Bourn.  Pagan is a plus defender in left.  Bourn is probably about a replacement-level defender in right.  This could take our outfield defense from awful to good.  Both could back up AJ in CF (albeit poorly).  

Could we get both of those guys for two year contracts or less?  

Would be willing to substitute Revere or Rasmus for Bourn.  Rasmus is probably a little better defensively in right but had an awful season at the plate last year.  Revere isn't really all that good defensively or offensively but at least gives you a body -- no more than 1/5 for him.  

Maybe platoon Rickard with Bourn in right.  Kim to DH and backup LF.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

I would like to see this team sign two outfielders to shorter term deals.  

Number one on my list would be Pagan.  Number two would be Bourn.  Pagan is a plus defender in left.  Bourn is probably about a replacement-level defender in right.  This could take our outfield defense from awful to good.  Both could back up AJ in CF (albeit poorly).  

Could we get both of those guys for two year contracts or less?  

Would be willing to substitute Revere or Rasmus for Bourn.  Rasmus is probably a little better defensively in right but had an awful season at the plate last year.  Revere isn't really all that good defensively or offensively but at least gives you a body -- no more than 1/5 for him.  

Maybe platoon Rickard with Bourn in right.  Kim to DH and backup LF.  

Rasmus and Bourn were pretty close to equally terrible at the plate last season. Bourn has been a bad player for 3 straight years. I don't want either Rasmus or Revere much either, but both would be better options than Bourn to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

Rasmus and Bourn were pretty close to equally terrible at the plate last season. Bourn has been a bad player for 3 straight years. I don't want either Rasmus or Revere much either, but both would be better options than Bourn to me.

I know Bourn is usually pretty bad at the plate.  But if he can be an average RF glove, I'll take him for a 1/7 or 2/10 kind of deal.  Bat him ninth.  We still have plenty of alleged hitters in the lineup.  We need OF defense bad.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FanSince88 said:

I know Bourn is usually pretty bad at the plate.  But if he can be an average RF glove, I'll take him for a 1/7 or 2/10 kind of deal.  Bat him ninth.  We still have plenty of alleged hitters in the lineup.  We need OF defense bad.  

He's a replacement level player. You don't spend money on that. Dariel Alvarez is likely replacement level, and he costs league minimum. If you're going to pay for a RFer, make it an upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Babypowder said:

Dariel Alvarez is likely replacement level, and he costs league minimum. 

I'm skeptical of that.  Bourn has a track record of being replacement-level (or slightly better) for years.  I don't want to risk negative value with Dariel.  Can still work Alvarez in if there's an injury or Rickard is ineffective.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Pagan and Bourn, just not on the same team.  They are a little redundant.  I think we're fine with a Kim/Rickard platoon in LF with Rickard playing vs LHP and being a defensive replacement.  

Pagan is probably the best "leadoff" guy out there.  If you believe in that type of thing.  We could compete with Pagan in RF and a platoon of P.Alvarez/Mancini at DH.  

LF: Kim/Rickard

CF: Jones

RF: Pagan

DH: Alvarez/Mancini

Bench: Joseph, Flaherty, Alvarez/Mancini, Rickard

There's other, more expensive options out there, if we want to try and actually win the division and not just play of the WC game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like Pagan and Bourn, just not on the same team.  They are a little redundant.  I think we're fine with a Kim/Rickard platoon in LF with Rickard playing vs LHP and being a defensive replacement.  

Pagan is probably the best "leadoff" guy out there.  If you believe in that type of thing.  We could compete with Pagan in RF and a platoon of P.Alvarez/Mancini at DH.  

LF: Kim/Rickard

CF: Jones

RF: Pagan

DH: Alvarez/Mancini

Bench: Joseph, Flaherty, Alvarez/Mancini, Rickard

There's other, more expensive options out there, if we want to try and actually win the division and not just play of the WC game.  

Problem is Pagan has precious little experience in RF recently.  And I'm done seeing Kim wear a glove, ever.  Getting close to being done with seeing Rickard wear a glove, for that matter, except as a backup, unless he can meet his alleged defensive potential quickly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like Pagan and Bourn, just not on the same team.  They are a little redundant.  

Not really.  Pagan is better defensively in LF, and clearly better on offense.  Bourn has much more experience playing RF.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FanSince88 said:

Not really.  Pagan is better defensively in LF, and clearly better on offense.  Bourn has much more experience playing RF.  

Michael Bourn was released twice last year and you want to give him seven million dollars for 2017.    I would not be surprised for he ends up signing a minor league deal with a spring training invite.  Five years ago he was a decent player based mostly on speed.  He is now 34 years old and not nearly as fast as he once was.  In addition, his below average arm would be an issue in rightfield.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Not really.  Pagan is better defensively in LF, and clearly better on offense.  Bourn has much more experience playing RF.  

Bourn has only played 44 games in his career in RF.  Pagan has played 90 games in RF in his career.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

Not really.  Pagan is better defensively in LF, and clearly better on offense.  Bourn has much more experience playing RF.  

Michael Bourn has played a grand total of 214 innings in right field in his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, POR said:

Bourn has only played 44 games in his career in RF.  Pagan has played 90 games in RF in his career.  

Bourn has 1159 games in CF, and he had several plus dWAR, if he can play CF, he can play RF.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

I'm skeptical of that.  Bourn has a track record of being replacement-level (or slightly better) for years.  I don't want to risk negative value with Dariel.  Can still work Alvarez in if there's an injury or Rickard is ineffective.  

I'm not advocating for Alvarez at all. Replacement level is bad, I don't want to start replacement level players regularly willingly, and especially don't want to pay any real money for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...