Sign in to follow this  
Belkast

Update

I know, I know...SMALL SAMPLE SIZE...but, my heart is not going to break if Dave Trembley runs this team for the rest of the year.

He isn't the flavor of the month, but appears to be stressing discipline and playing the game right. He's certainly willing to try batting orders we haven't seen before.

Also, there's a vast area between "blow it up" and "stay the course". You can "retool" or "reload". There are guys on this team worth keeping (one of them is tonight's starting pitcher) and I'm pretty sure McPhail is going to come to the same conclusion.

On a completely unrelated note: are the Orioles the worst draw in baseball, or do people in SD just not care? I know it was a weeknight game, but there were quite a few empty seats in Petco Wednesday...to watch the first place Padres!

Can any of our insiders please make me feel better and tell me there is ZERO chance Dempsey will ever be our manager.

In 2010 it is not unrealistic to have a team nucleus of Weiters, Markakis, Reimold, Teixeira, Rowell, Roberts, plus a great SP staff of DCab, Gutherie, Olson, Penn, Erebe, Liz, Beato, etc. Why is it blowing the team up to trade a Bedard and a Tejada for a CF , SS, and A DH. That gives you a young contending team.

I think Girardi will be signed soon and MacPhail's saying we will talk to candidates until we find the right guy is interesting but I think his way of saying we will check others so it appears we explored all of our options. If you go for one guy from the beginning and it doesn't work out everyone will probably say we should have talked to more people. It could also be a way to negotiate better terms with Girardi.

I read on a Chicago web site that Dusty Baker was asking for $4 million+ during the last off season. He drew no interest from teams with open manager jobs. There is no way he will get anywhere near that from the Orioles. You can cross him off of the list.

Well there's this nugget in the Sun article:

Still, all indications are that the job is Girardi's to accept. Though MacPhail declined to get into the interview process, one team source said no other interviews were planned. Three possible candidates -- Davey Johnson, Dusty Baker and Rick Dempsey -- have told The Sun in the past two days that they have not been contacted about the job.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-girardi620,0,4366827.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

Sounds like they are waiting on Girardi and then will interview others if he doesn't accept...

Exactly.... I can not wait until the pessimists (with merit) find out that this will be different.

Not for nothing, but what the heck does this mean? :rolleyes:

Man, this organization will get respect back from the league by the trading deadline.

Man! That line alone says more than you have ever said on this board. And you have said a TON!

Can any of our insiders please make me feel better and tell me there is ZERO chance Dempsey will ever be our manager.

There is ZERO chance that he gets to be manager. There's a better chance that Eddie becomes the manager and that ain't happening.

What's Baylor doing??

End of the day, the Orioles don't need to be the Marlins and they shouldn't be the Marlins. The resources are there for us to do alot more than that. No need to wait 2-4 more years to be competitive. We can do that next year by buying and selling.

I think a MINIMUM of at least half the roster should be different by Aug 1.

This won;t happen

Zero chance Rick Dempsey is the manager.

Well there's this nugget in the Sun article:

Still, all indications are that the job is Girardi's to accept. Though MacPhail declined to get into the interview process, one team source said no other interviews were planned. Three possible candidates -- Davey Johnson, Dusty Baker and Rick Dempsey -- have told The Sun in the past two days that they have not been contacted about the job.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-girardi620,0,4366827.story?coll=bal-sports-headlines

Sounds like they are waiting on Girardi and then will interview others if he doesn't accept...

This is good news if you ask me. If they don't get Girardi, stick with Trembley the rest of the season and then evaluate things when MacPhail has more information on the club and possible managers, including Trembley.

What's Baylor doing??

Finding a way to lose games when he's not even managing? Pretty much the last thing this team needs is an old, veteran manager with 1317 games under his belt, a .476 winning percentage, and a career highlight of 88 wins and third place.

Pitchers like Bedard who are this far from free agency are almost never traded. More often than not they are extended and never hit the market. The only pitchers I can remember recently being traded in a similar circumstance to Bedard were Mulder and Hudson. The Mulder trade worked out great because they got Haren back. The Hudson trade was a disaster.

The other thing to consider is that teams aren't giving up their best prospects anymore. The best offer that the Nationals got for Soriano last year was supposedly Kevin Slowey. They couldn't get Garza. Also remember that Beane couldn't get a fair offer for Zito last year. Getting good value for Bedard will be very tough.

Soriano was a pending free agent, a rent a player and you don't usually get much for them, unless the trading team can get the player to sign an extension at the time of the trade. Zito was a pending free agent.

Bedard is not a free agent until the end of the 2009 season, giving the trading team 2.5 years worth of Bedard.

The point is, there is no need to trade for young guys and then trade them and other young players for Tex...It doesn't help us.

Tex should be looked at as the final piece to the puzzle.

I have been barking this all week, you are 100% right. There's no way I trade for Teixeira. I honestly don't think you'll see Tex getting dealt this year anyways.