Jump to content
adam_jonzin'

MASN Continues to Reject In-Market Streaming

Recommended Posts

On 2/20/2017 at 7:42 PM, MDtransplant757 said:

My idea was going past the middle man of MLB.tv, but I see your point

MLB has the streaming broadcast rights, not the individual teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2017 at 1:44 PM, Mayor McCheese said:

Can you or anyone else on here message me your VPN service... or information on how you watch the Orioles on MLB.tv.  My Comcast service is up in about 9 days.

Thank you!

I use privateinternetaccess.com 

They have promo codes occasionally. Also pay for the full year up front and save some cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all of those who gave advice on this thread. Been watching since the first broadcast on either Apple TV or my mobile devices. The VPN was the key. I had never even heard of such a thing (maybe proxies years ago) or explained as well as it was here.  I don't know if it's from not seeing any baseball since October or what, but the picture seems far more crisp on Apple TV and the apps than I remember on MASN-HD via my DirecTV feed. Tip of the hat to youse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2017 at 10:40 AM, McNulty said:

Despite what you think, I'm not doing anything illegal.  My home of record in the states is at my folks; I'm active duty over seas man. Comcast allows family/friends for employees. 

If you are arguing that having internet is still cable...uh what?  I'm talking about paying for TV. 

I've already told you I don't *need* those accounts.  I don't even need to own a TV.  My current internet speed is around 10-15 mpbs.  Is that sufficient for you?  It is for me.  DSL exists too.

Do you have stock in Comcast or something?  You are completely clueless about how people are living these days. 

That's fine, but piggybacking is illegal and so is using Comcast services (internet) and hiding IP via an VPN to gain access to local black outs is against service agreements.

You can have internet from a Cable Company but you will paying out the nose for it. Cable Companies push bundles for a reason.

Sufficient is different for anybody.

No, I don't own Comcast, Charter, Verizon or AT&T stocks. I do know how people live today and how the world of cell phones, tablets, Playstation, Xbox, Roku (and so on), Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix have changed the game of how TV shows are viewed. But it really hasn't changed the game that much. It's different platforms but it all requires a network that's heavily reliant on internet backbones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2017 at 0:34 PM, adam_jonzin' said:

I'd guess the later. He works for a cable company. But he is right about one thing: cable companies make their money from broadband subscriptions, not TV. I was paying $170/mo after taxes and fees for internet, phone, and cable w/ HBO and 2x HD DVRs. After cutting all of the fat, trimming down to an internet only plan saved me about $75. I still pay $97 for 100mbps!

And we can dispute whether VPN or sharing login credentials is illegal all we want but the fact is, nobody cares. Do you know of one person who's been tracked down by a cable company for signing in under their parent's name? There is literally no way the cable companies would ever invest the amount of time and energy it would take to stop that kind of thing. It's not like they can just block logins from an outside IP address, because they tout the ability to "watch from anywhere".

Cable television is a relic. The only thing keeping it alive really, are live sports and premium subscriptions (like HBO and Showtime). They know this. And you can bet your ass Peter Angelos knows this. But what he doesn't know is that he's alienating fans -- and that's just bad for business. 

I work for no cable company.

Government cares.  Using a VPN to hide an IP to get around a blackout is illegal. If MLB wanted to, there would be no blackouts in any market when it comes to MLB.tv but there is. Netflix goes after those who use a VPN because it's a violation of terms of usage. 

I am not saying Cable tv isn't a relic. But as it stands currently the law and rules are centered around Communication companies (Cable and Phone) rather then you. You can get HBO and Showtime subscriptions outside of Cable tv today..

And this is where you are foolish. Angelos is beholden to MLB rules as MLB owns the streaming rights to games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BradyBunch said:

That's fine, but piggybacking is illegal and so is using Comcast services (internet) and hiding IP via an VPN to gain access to local black outs is against service agreements.

You can have internet from a Cable Company but you will paying out the nose for it. Cable Companies push bundles for a reason.

Sufficient is different for anybody.

No, I don't own Comcast, Charter, Verizon or AT&T stocks. I do know how people live today and how the world of cell phones, tablets, Playstation, Xbox, Roku (and so on), Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix have changed the game of how TV shows are viewed. But it really hasn't changed the game that much. It's different platforms but it all requires a network that's heavily reliant on internet backbones.

You're wrong. All of this is incorrect, but I'm not wasting my time explaining it again. Whatever you need to tell yourself for purchasing useless bundles is your thing. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

How can I watch MASN streaming?  I don't have cable,or satellite subscriptions.  I can't get air channels either.  Can someone please help me?

Short answer is, you can’t.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

How can I watch MASN streaming?  I don't have cable,or satellite subscriptions.  I can't get air channels either.  Can someone please help me?

The only way is an MLB.TV subscription AND not living in Angelos territorial blackout. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

How can I watch MASN streaming?  I don't have cable,or satellite subscriptions.  I can't get air channels either.  Can someone please help me?

MLB tv, and you live outside of this

w-masn.jpg?uuid=H3esTOZHEeGXOe75nF-yhQ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

Reddit has some interesting threads about this.

I shall say nothing more. :)

Yeah I watch the games this way.   You might have to watch other teams announcers from time to time but better than paying a 100 a month for cable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2017 at 12:34 PM, adam_jonzin' said:

I'd guess the later. He works for a cable company. But he is right about one thing: cable companies make their money from broadband subscriptions, not TV. I was paying $170/mo after taxes and fees for internet, phone, and cable w/ HBO and 2x HD DVRs. After cutting all of the fat, trimming down to an internet only plan saved me about $75. I still pay $97 for 100mbps!

And we can dispute whether VPN or sharing login credentials is illegal all we want but the fact is, nobody cares. Do you know of one person who's been tracked down by a cable company for signing in under their parent's name? There is literally no way the cable companies would ever invest the amount of time and energy it would take to stop that kind of thing. It's not like they can just block logins from an outside IP address, because they tout the ability to "watch from anywhere".

Cable television is a relic. The only thing keeping it alive really, are live sports and premium subscriptions (like HBO and Showtime). They know this. And you can bet your ass Peter Angelos knows this. But what he doesn't know is that he's alienating fans -- and that's just bad for business. 

I pay 40 bucks a month for phone and internet from Verizon.   Not sure of speed but fast enough to stream movies in HD.  I also pay 35 a month for cell phone service including tax.  People tend overpay for stuff.   Even if you have to have cable calling them up once a year and they will usually knock it down to under 50 bucks for 12 months.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, atomic said:

Yeah I watch the games this way.   You might have to watch other teams announcers from time to time but better than paying a 100 a month for cable. 

I literally TRIED to throw my cash at MLB.tv. They pumped up the whole "watch EVERY game!" thing, and they used to keep the "out of market" in the fine print. I had to threaten to sue them to get them to give me my money back! (I never do that.)

It astonishes me that anyone involved wouldn't want to take my money. Back in the day, you could watch on aerial TV, for free! Now they won't even let you pay them a fortune to watch... unless you live in Nebraska. 

Yeah, something's wrong with this system. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...