Sign in to follow this  
weams

David Hernandez is deciding today.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

But the fact that you can pay him major league minimum gives him some value in my mind. I'd be happy with platooning Alvarez with Smith in RF and leave Trumbo at DH.

That's reasonable. I just wouldn't lose sleep if they cut him to make room on the 40-man for Hernandez.

8 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I don't understand why everyone is anxious to trade Brach. He's our second best reliever and a major reason we got a sniff of the playoffs last year. It blows my mind really.

I think a lot of folks are reluctant to believe he will repeat last year's #'s.

42 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I don't understand why everyone is anxious to trade Brach. He's our second best reliever and a major reason we got a sniff of the playoffs last year. It blows my mind really.

Fair point.

I think you can get a good return for him, that's why I would do it.

but to your point, no reason to let him go for a price much less because he is still a valuable piece.

It looks like we will k ow soon...

I have been advoctating trading him to the Nats, they desperately need a closer.

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Dealing from a strength, he is unlikely to repeat performance, relievers are getting a lot back, we could use some flexibility in the bullpen

2 hours ago, weams said:

I really see Hernandez as a Brach replacement. 

Do you think they'd trade him this late in the offseason???

4 minutes ago, oriole said:

Dealing from a strength, he is unlikely to repeat performance, relievers are getting a lot back, we could use some flexibility in the bullpen

He's been very good for three years.    Nobody's untradeable, but I'd want a Koji-like return for him.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Some of us saw him pitch that game against the Red Sox. He was pretty meh in the second half. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He's been very good for three years.    Nobody's untradeable, but I'd want a Koji-like return for him.  

Koji had the benefit of having $aves on his resume.

But yea, I don't think anyone is advocating giving Brach away. If no one gives up something worthwhile then you keep him and you probably won't be sorry about it. At this point though, we have a strength that we could potentially trade from and despite a crowded roster there are some holes to fill (defense, OBP, veteran SP depth, thin on prospects to look forward to in the near future)

30 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

...so.... about David Hernandez deciding something today.... it's 8 pm EST.

Isn't he still in California?

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Some of us saw him pitch that game against the Red Sox. He was pretty meh in the second half. 

He did indeed struggle in the second half. But I've seen others express (mainly on some podcasts) the theory that he had to pitch more than usual due to O'Day's injury and that he was bound to tire due to that. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

...so.... about David Hernandez deciding something today.... it's 8 pm EST.

ESPN 2 is covering "The Decision 2" for those interested...

• Upvote 1