PressBoxOnline

Kevin Gausman, Dylan Bundy -- Primed & Ready

Interesting that Bundy is talking about using his cutter this year and Strasburg is talking about using his less.

Strasburg delivered all of his pitches during a bullpen session that lasted around 10 minutes. He plans to throw his slider/cutter less frequently in 2017 in order to relieve some stress on his troublesome right elbow. The right-hander remains a high-risk, high-reward fantasy starter leading into 2017. All of the early signs are good.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Interesting that Bundy is talking about using his cutter this year and Strasburg is talking about using his less.

Strasburg delivered all of his pitches during a bullpen session that lasted around 10 minutes. He plans to throw his slider/cutter less frequently in 2017 in order to relieve some stress on his troublesome right elbow. The right-hander remains a high-risk, high-reward fantasy starter leading into 2017. All of the early signs are good.

It seems like Strasburg  ramped up his use of that pitch way higher in 2016.    Fangraphs shows him throwing 17% sliders last year after barely throwing it before (they don't call it a cutter).    I wouldn't expect Bundy to throw his 17% of the time.     But if he picked a few key spots to throw it, that would make life that much tougher for the batters.  

Edited by Frobby

I was watching Rose and Millar yesterday, and they were talking about Tillman's injury. They said after Tillman, nothing really makes you go wow. I guess they aren't high on Gausman or Bundy. Not that their opinion matters.

2 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I was watching Rose and Millar yesterday, and they were talking about Tillman's injury. They said after Tillman, nothing really makes you go wow. I guess they aren't high on Gausman or Bundy. Not that their opinion matters.

And Tillman makes them go wow?

• Upvote 2

Rose and Millar are pretty weak when it comes to analysis of any kind so that doesn't surprise me to hear them say that.

Getting back to the article, I thought this was a good read. Dempsey is in his element with his over-the-top praise and projections. I mainly enjoyed the quotes from both of them. It's encouraging that Bundy's arm is feeling great. They both seem to have a lot of confidence coming into this season and I can't wait to see them on the mound. If they can hit their stride this year then we will have a couple of cornerstone guys at the top of the rotation for a while.

Edited by epic

They are the most exciting young potential studs we've had in decades.

Not sure if that says more about how awful are starting pitching was for decades or is high praise for them but either way I'm excited for (hopefully) a full season of both.

I think they are both going to have a big break out year. This is why we will make the playoffs. If we resign Matt you can put it in the bank. He knows these pitchers and we need his leadership. We will be at least a wild card team.

Edited by mrbig1

A lot of confidence being shown in Bundy in Baltimore for a guy who just threw a career high of 109 innings in a season and has thrown a total of 280 innings over 5 seasons.

12 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Zach Wheeler has elbow tenderness again.