RZNJ

A look at Aneury Tavarez

All spring long I've been a big proponent of Anthony Santander and his potential power bat and I've kind of played off Aneury Tavarez as having no chance of making the team because he hit's LH and Rickard and Gentry make much more sense.   That last fact remains the case unless Seth Smith is not ready to start the season.    The reports on Tavarez this spring are that his defense is so so and earlier minor league reports said it was average.   There's no denying that he's fast, is holding his owne offensively, and is at least a threat on the bases.    

I knew when we drafted Tavarez that he had had a career year in AA at the age of 24.    What he didn't know or really examine was how he got there.    In April, Tavarez hit .230 with a .553 OPS.   Hardly any signs of a career turnaround.    In May, a little better at .263 and .728 but that's fairly mediocre for a 24 year old in AA.   Then, something happened.

June -  .413 AVG  1.086 OPS

July -   .341 AVG    .915 OPS

August - .388 AVG  1.006 OPS

Sure, could be just a hot streak.   Sure, even those numbers should be tempered considering his age.   Still, that's quite the light bulb going off moment.     All of a sudden he becomes more interesting to me.    All of a sudden, I can see the Orioles carrying him.   Again, how do they do it?     Sure, there's an extra spot even if Smith starts the season on the active roster so Santander to the DL and Tavarez starting the year on the active 25 man is still a distinct possibility.   At some point, by the end of April, tough decisions will have to be made.   Before, I thought it was a foregone conclusion that Tavarez would not be an Oriole this summer.   Now I'm having second thoughts.

• Upvote 2

A couple of more fun facts on Tavarez.   In his minor league career his played 319 games in RF,  63 in CF, and only 104 in LF, and only 39 out there last year.    So maybe, even though he has lot's of outfield experience he deserves a little leeway in that his experience in LF is farily limited.

When leading off an inning last year in AA, Tavarez had a .467 OBP

• Upvote 1

If Smith's hamstring continues to be an issue, that might help Tavarez stay, especially if/when Santander gets DL'ed.

I hope they find a way to keep him though. Either through the 25 man roster, or thru a trade.

What’s up with: Aneury Tavarez. If Smith begins the season on the disabled list, it’s possible the Orioles begin 2017 with Tavarez, a Rule 5 pick from the Boston Red Sox, on the active roster.

Tavarez has stolen seven bases and been thrown out once. He’s entertaining to watch, but his outfield defense isn’t major league quality. In 23 games, Tavarez is hitting .279.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2017/03/24/spring-training-primer-fifth-starter-battle-tavarez-makes-push-dl-looming/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't know if anyone here has seen him in person, but reports I have heard from people who have says he plays very fast.  He is a very good base runner, not just stealing, but also going 1st to 3rd, and very good instincts.

I would like to see him stick if just for more evaluation.

The OP points out some good facts.    I haven't looked, but it seems to me Tavarez has hit better and better as spring training has progressed.    I'm keeping an open mind, even though it's tough to fit a LH OF on this roster with Kim and Smith here.    I agree Smith may need to start on the DL at this point.   

I still would like to see him kept over Gentry since its possible this kid has a future with us.    Keep him while Smith is on the DL to start the season, and if another injury doesn't present itself, then DFA Gentry...

27 minutes ago, Keygans said:

I still would like to see him kept over Gentry since its possible this kid has a future with us.    Keep him while Smith is on the DL to start the season, and if another injury doesn't present itself, then DFA Gentry...

The O's clearly still don't want to use Kim vs LHP and Smith absolutely can't be used against them either. So, do you platoon another left handed hitter (Tavarez) with one of them?

32 minutes ago, Keygans said:

Gentry is on a minor league deal. Couldn't he be sent straight to Norfolk, no DFA, then called up if Tavarez doesn't pan out?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

The O's clearly still don't want to use Kim vs LHP and Smith absolutely can't be used against them either. So, do you platoon another left handed hitter (Tavarez) with one of them?

For whatever reason, you are right, they don't want to use Kim vs LHP.   I think that is my preference, but for the purpose of this conversation, if we can't use Kim or Smith,  I think you could put Trumbo in RF and DH Tavarez or even Pedro if he somehow makes the roster.....

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Gentry is on a minor league deal. Couldn't he be sent straight to Norfolk, no DFA, then called up if Tavarez doesn't pan out?

Depending if he has an opt out, yes.  

38 minutes ago, Keygans said:

For whatever reason, you are right, they don't want to use Kim vs LHP.   I think that is my preference, but for the purpose of this conversation, if we can't use Kim or Smith,  I think you could put Trumbo in RF and DH Tavarez or even Pedro if he somehow makes the roster.....

That wouldn't make too much sense, would it?  Tavarez might not be a gold glover but I have to think you want him in the outfield and Trumbo at DH.

44 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That wouldn't make too much sense, would it?  Tavarez might not be a gold glover but I have to think you want him in the outfield and Trumbo at DH.

Apologies....meant that to say DH Castillo.    My fault for trying to multitask...

If we do cram the left-handed hitters on the roster, I am good and actually rooting for Castillo to be the DH v. LHP, and at the top of the lineup.

Castillo's hitting skill vs. LHP is so far beyond Tavarez/Kim/Smith that I would sometimes risk Trumbo in RF to get it.