Legend_Of_Joey

Bye bye Tavarez

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think Boston trades Tavarez right away.  Maybe in 6 months.  The O's gave him an opportunity to shine.  Offensively he did.  He needs some work on his defense.  There is no reason for the Red Sox to trade him to the O's for a fair price.  

Unless they have no room for him in the minors and don't consider him a prospect. He's 25 this year and hasn't played much beyond AA. Red Sox are stacked.

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Mike Yastrzemski

It makes you think-would you rather have Yaz? The Orioles fall in love with these Rule 5 guys, but step back and think, what is the LT upside of this guy? A 4th OF? That is Yaz.

Keep Santander, move on. We don't need Tavarez.

55 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Unless they have no room for him in the minors and don't consider him a prospect. He's 25 this year and hasn't played much beyond AA. Red Sox are stacked.

Stacked?  At AAA in the outfield? They have Rusney Castillo.  Who else plays ahead of Tavarez in their AAA outfield? Brentz is out for options.   

10 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

It makes you think-would you rather have Yaz? The Orioles fall in love with these Rule 5 guys, but step back and think, what is the LT upside of this guy? A 4th OF? That is Yaz.

Gentry has had six concussions.  His game is speed.  He dives in the outfield and on the bases.  Head first.   Its not hard to see why he is injury prone.  Rickard spent 2 1/2 months on the DL in 2016 with a thumb injury.  He spent the same amount of time on the DL in 2014 with an ankle.  

I think the O's could have used Tavarez.   But the O's went another direction.  And that is that.

I think the timing of this move was well thought out.  I think he clears waivers and we do work out a trade with Boston.   As far as value, I think one of Wright / Wilson gets it done. 

47 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I was pushing for keeping Tavarez over Gentry just because of the fact that all teams passed on Gentry and he signed a minor league deal.   The fact that Tavarez has the potential to have at least Gentry's upside at a much younger age, cheaper price and the ability to hit better.    Let's see what happens. 

• Upvote 2

The thing to remember here is that the reason Tavarez was available to us was that Boston had 40 guys they thought were more deserving of a 40-man roster spot.    They probably aren't going to want a fringe guy who's on our 40-man roster, as that would require them to kick someone off their roster and expose him to waivers.   They'd probably be looking for a younger player who doesn't have to be on the 40-man roster yet.    Someone like Gassaway might interest them.   

• Upvote 1

I think Drake may be a fair trade and one I would probably make. He has been very successful at every level of the minors and flashed (albeit inconsistently) at the major league level. I realize we are likely to cut him, but I don't think he will make it to Boston. I believe he will be claimed long before Boston has a chance. So if they want him, a trade for Tavarez would be their opportunity.

Drake with no options is probably not desirable.  Frobby makes a good point and great suggestions.  Gassaway is the type of guy although I probably wouldn't do that one. 

Scott and Stewart fit the non 40 man criteria.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The thing to remember here is that the reason Tavarez was available to us was that Boston had 40 guys they thought were more deserving of a 40-man roster spot.    They probably aren't going to want a fringe guy who's on our 40-man roster, as that would require them to kick someone off their roster and expose him to waivers.   They'd probably be looking for a younger player who doesn't have to be on the 40-man roster yet.    Someone like Gassaway might interest them.   

I agree with your evaluation, but the Red Sox would not have to put him on their 40-man roster. He would become a minor leaguer again upon his return to them.

8 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I agree with your evaluation, but the Red Sox would not have to put him on their 40-man roster. He would become a minor leaguer again upon his return to them.

You missed the point.  They don't want to trade for s player on the O's 40 man roster who would have to be added to theirs.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I think this is a key point.   Since Boston does not have to put Tavarez on the 40 man roster there is not rush on their part to trade him.  Castillo and Selsky probably start at AAA but there is room for Tavarez on their AAA roster.   I don't see why the Red Sox would want to trade with the O's at all.   There is nothing pressing them to do that.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You missed the point.  They don't want to trade for a player on the O's 40 man roster who would have to be added to theirs.

Exactly.  

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think this is a key point.   Since Boston does not have to put Tavarez on the 40 man roster there is not rush on their part to trade him.  Castillo and Selsky probably start at AAA but there is room for Tavarez on their AAA roster.   I don't see why the Red Sox would want to trade with the O's at all.   There is nothing pressing them to do that.

The only thing pressing is that Tavarez is 25 years old and the Boston outfield is stacked for the foreseeable future, so they might like to have a player at a weaker spot or someone younger.    Two of Boston's three starting outfielders (Betts and Benintendi) are younger than Tavarez, and even Bradley is only 27 (in a few weeks).