Jump to content
SurhoffFTW

Who starts tomorrow? Mancini or Gentry?

Starting OF  

52 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who starts in OF

    • Gentry
      21
    • Mancini
      30


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I have seen no reason as to why he can't be as good as Smith or Trumbo in RF.  

 

11 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I have seen no reason as to why he can't be as good as Smith or Trumbo in RF.  

I have. Trumbo and Smith played outfield in the minors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one ridiculous line in the sand here.  Mancini can be used as a high leverage pinch hitter.  Its pretty simple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is Gentry.

For a brief interlude before the 5th starter needs to be on the 25-man, Mancini is getting to be Benny Ayala.

Earl wrote in Weaver on Strategy he wanted his starting position players to be his best defenders.  Then he could pinch hit like crazy or not depending on the first half of the game. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dan-O said:

For whom? Who is Buck going to pinch hit him for?

He pinch hit for Smith on opening day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dan-O said:

The only person he could potentially pinch hit for today is Gentry and then if that result in a tie game, you've weakened your OF defense. Buck is going to let veterans like Hardy and every other right-hander bat. He's not going to replace Davis with Mancini. He MIGHT replace Gentry with Mancini but it's not all that likely. 

You've explained your thinking and maybe you'll be right.   It's your degree of certainty that seems off-base.    I guess we'll know soon enough.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dan-O said:

Today. In today's game, genius.

Depends on how soon Toronto goes to the bullpen. I could see Buck bringing in Kim to replace Rickard if they bring in a righty early enough. Then PH Mancini for Kim if they bring in another lefty after that. 

Buck is going to use his deep bench while he has it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dan-O said:

A weird small part of me sorta hopes I'm wrong and I get banned because that would kind of be hilarious at this point.

Well, despite your offer to be banned, I haven't seen any other poster suggest that's a fitting punishment.   I'd rather just give you massive grief about it.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, canonfaz said:

Depends on how soon Toronto goes to the bullpen. I could see Buck bringing in Kim to replace Rickard if they bring in a righty early enough. Then PH Mancini for Kim if they bring in another lefty after that. 

Buck is going to use his deep bench while he has it.

THIS. We are assuming that Happ goes the distance with this logic. If Happ goes five innings and then we see someone like Joe Biagini in the 6th, I could easily see Buck pinch hit for Gentry. Sure, you're giving up your better defender, but if the Orioles are behind and need to make up runs, it's much better to have Smith or Kim batting instead of Gentry against a tough righty with guys on base. At that point, you may need to go with Mancini in place of Smith or Kim come the 8th against J.P. Howell or Aaron Loup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dan-O said:

Incorrect. I criticized a poster for saying there isn't "anything special" about him. Of course there is. Power to all fields is a special skill. I never said he was a top prospect or anything. But it's ridiculous to say "no one has ever said there was anything special about him". That's bizarre and not true.

Provide a quote where anyone independent of the Orioles has described his skills as "special." Of course anyone who has ever played in a major league game is special in a certain way, but in relation to big league norms there is nothing special about a guy who has enough "power to all fields" to be projected as a potential 20-home run guy with regular playing time. 

Now I'm not a scout, nor do I pretend to be one on the internet. But I do have the ability to understand grading charts. Mancini's 50 hitting grade is "average" and projects to about a .260 batting average. His 55 power grade (above average, but not plus) projects to 19 to 22 home runs per year. That is not in any way, shape or form "special." I'll give you an example of special: Joey Gallo's power grade was 80. That projects to 40+ home runs. That's special power. Your use of the term "special" degrades the term and makes it meaningless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Moondoggie said:

Provide a quote where anyone independent of the Orioles has described his skills as "special." Of course anyone who has ever played in a major league game is special in a certain way, but in relation to big league norms there is nothing special about a guy who has enough "power to all fields" to be projected as a potential 20-home run guy with regular playing time. 

Now I'm not a scout, nor do I pretend to be one on the internet. But I do have the ability to understand grading charts. Mancini's 50 hitting grade is "average" and projects to about a .260 batting average. His 55 power grade (above average, but not plus) projects to 19 to 22 home runs per year. That is not in any way, shape or form "special." I'll give you an example of special: Joey Gallo's power grade was 80. That projects to 40+ home runs. That's special power. Your use of the term "special" degrades the term and makes it meaningless.

I'd say it's time to rethink that power grade of 55.  We saw the shots he hit last year.  I'd say that should be bumped up to 65.  Norfolk suppresses power.  The only guy in recent memory to mash homers in Norfolk was Reimold for a month or so years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no question that Norfolk surpresses power, and Mancini certainly showed last September that when he connects with one, it can travel a long way.    Still, I'm not ready to conclude that he has huge power.    He hit 20 homers in Frederick and Bowie in 2015.    Even Tony only ranked him a 50.

I'll certainly be happy if he proves the scouts wrong.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2017 at 11:22 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Because speed and defense aren't useful in the early innings?

Which inning does speed and defense kick in, the 6th?  Seventh?

Sorry, we know you scored from first on that double, but back to third you go, it's only the second inning.

Yes, speed and defense are useful in the early innings, of course.  So is hitting.  Hyun Soo Kim offers, absolutely, none of these factors.  What you saw from him on Opening Day, is what you're most apt to get for the rest of the season.  Little "tricklers" to the right side of the infield and an OFer who looks like he's running in sand.  This is why Rickard should be be given every opportunity to be the full-time LFer and lead-off hitter,  Of course, sadly, we have to play Kim, because, we're stuck with his sizable contract, (for only 1 more year, thank God.)  Sorry, I know, (for a reason known only to you), that you hold Kim in high esteem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Yes, speed and defense are useful in the early innings, of course.  So is hitting.  Hyun Soo Kim offers, absolutely, none of these factors.  What you saw from him on Opening Day, is what you're most apt to get for the rest of the season.  Little "tricklers" to the right side of the infield and an OFer who looks like he's running in sand.  This is why Rickard should be be given every opportunity to be the full-time LFer and lead-off hitter,  Of course, sadly, we have to play Kim, because, we're stuck with his sizable contract, (for only 1 more year, thank God.)  Sorry, I know, (for a reason known only to you), that you hold Kim in high esteem.

He's an on-base machine, and many of us hold THAT in high esteem. He had a .382 OBP last year, .393 against righties. (Next best was Machado's .343.) Obviously, we have to balance this against his below average speed and defense, with much of the discussion really about just how far below average he is in these, and how much his OBP compensates for this. Give him credit for what he does really well, which is getting on base against righty pitchers. Having said this, I secretly would like to see Rickard as the everyday leadoff hitter, but he has to prove himself first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think most people would think that Mamcini will reach his peak power as a rookie.   That probably happens after he learns the league.  If he could hit 4 homers for every 100 at bats that would be good for a rookie.  Add a .330 OBP to that and that would be special for an O's rookie.  Doesn't happen very often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...