Starting OF  

52 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who starts in OF

• Gentry
    • Mancini

45 minutes ago, dan-O said:

The scouts are already wrong.

To a degree, I agree with you.   I still think he needs to prove himself at the big league level, even though the early glimpses have been very encouraging.    It would be rather amazing if he proved to be a half-decent defensive RF.    That would really make me wonder why that ability wasn't identified sooner.    

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'd say it's time to rethink that power grade of 55.  We saw the shots he hit last year.  I'd say that should be bumped up to 65.  Norfolk suppresses power.  The only guy in recent memory to mash homers in Norfolk was Reimold for a month or so years ago. 

So you're regrading somebody based on 15 big league at bats? That's wishful thinking. And Dariel Frickin' Alvarez hit 11 home runs at Harbor Park in 2015. That's 11 of his 16. He's a pitcher now.

14 minutes ago, ELMERO said:

Yes, speed and defense are useful in the early innings, of course.  So is hitting.  Hyun Soo Kim offers, absolutely, none of these factors.  What you saw from him on Opening Day, is what you're most apt to get for the rest of the season.  Little "tricklers" to the right side of the infield and an OFer who looks like he's running in sand.  This is why Rickard should be be given every opportunity to be the full-time LFer and lead-off hitter,  Of course, sadly, we have to play Kim, because, we're stuck with his sizable contract, (for only 1 more year, thank God.)  Sorry, I know, (for a reason known only to you), that you hold Kim in high esteem.

I don't think Kim's $3.5 mm contract is going to influence his playing time.    If he has a season similar to last year, he's going to play a lot because it's warranted.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don't think Kim's $3.5 mm contract is going to influence his playing time.    If he has a season similar to last year, he's going to play a lot because it's warranted.   

He will make 4.2m this year.

Just now, wildcard said:

He will make 4.2m this year.

Thanks for the correction.    It doesn't change my thinking that his salary will have little or no effect on his playing time.   

1 hour ago, dan-O said:

Cool, you have your opinion, I have mine. 

So now it's just your opinion and not something we "know" or that's an indisputable fact? Well that's progress.

Oh, and by the way, still waiting for you to provide evidence of anyone describing Mancini's skills as "special."

Edited by Moondoggie

Just now, Moondoggie said:

Again, you're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Well, at least that used to be true.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, dan-O said:

You're ridiculous. The power is there, confirmed. There's no question the power is there. It's the hit tool you're actually worried about, but you keep talking about the power tool for some reason. 

One more time: 50 hit grade = .260 average; 55 power grade = 19-22 home runs. Nothing special about that. Joey Gallo's 80 power grade is special. Mancini's 55 isn't even plus. And you're the one who keeps babbling on about "power to all fields," not me. I'm just explaining that Mancini's power isn't special.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To a degree, I agree with you.   I still think he needs to prove himself at the big league level, even though the early glimpses have been very encouraging.    It would be rather amazing if he proved to be a half-decent defensive RF.    That would really make me wonder why that ability wasn't identified sooner.    

I don't know why you are having trouble with this.  Mancini was a first baseman long before Davis when FA and signed his contract.  There was no way to know the O's would re-sign Davis for 161m and therefore no reason to move Mancini off first base.

After Davis signed  Mancini was not thought to be a good defensive first baseman.  He had to work at it to be average.   So he was projected as a DH.   That was before Trumbo signed a three year contract as a free agent.  No one knew Trumbo was going to sign with the O's.  Most thought he would get a longer contract for more money than the O's would pay.    Most of this past off season Dan was touting Mancini as the O's DH and back up 1B.  But Trumbo's value dropped and he signed with the O's.

Now they are trying to find a place for Mancini to play.  He looks like he can hit and they don't want to waste a good hitter who is cheap.

So why is that so hard to understand?  I am not picking of you for saying it.  I have seen the fact that Mancini was not tried as  a outfielder questioned several times by several posters.   For me I don't understand why people would think he should have been moved before Davis and Trumbo signed.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't know why you are having trouble with this.  Mancini was a first baseman long before Davis when FA and signed his contract.  There was no way to know the O's would re-sign Davis for 161m and therefore no reason to move Mancini off first base.

After Davis signed  Mancini was not thought to be a good defensive first baseman.  He had to work at it to be average.   So he was projected as a DH.   That was before Trumbo signed a three year contract as a free agent.  No one knew Trumbo was going to sign with the O's.  Most thought he would get a longer contract for more money than the O's would pay.    Most of this past off season Dan was touting Mancini as the O's DH and back up 1B.  But Trumbo's value dropped and he signed with the O's.

Now they are trying to find a place for Mancini to play.  He looks like he can hit and they don't want to waste a good hitter who is cheap.

So why is that so hard to understand?  I am not picking of you for saying it.  I have seen the fact that Mancini was not tried as  a outfielder questioned several times by several posters.   For me I don't understand why people would think he should have been moved before Davis and Trumbo signed.

I think in general, I would not want to consign any prospect to playing 1B exclusively in the minors if it is believed that he has sufficient skill to play another position.    There might be some exceptions, but they'd be rare.  

So I think Mancini does not play his first game in right in the major leagues under brand new lights.

DH or Bench