Sign in to follow this  
mdbdotcom

Dariel Alvarez likely needs Tommy John Surgery

Just now, backwardsk said:

Aren't we still at 39?

Honestly I don't keep track of the back end of the 40 with how Dan churns the roster.  I thought Gentry was #40.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Honestly I don't keep track of the back end of the 40 with how Dan churns the roster.  I thought Gentry was #40.

You're correct.  I still had the report that Drake was gone still in my head. Obviously he's still here.

54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Braves signed Howard.

Also:

Howard on the Braves?  To a major league contract?  A 37-year-old who hit .196 last year and has been worth -4.5 wins over the last five years, with a high of 0.6?

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Howard on the Braves?  To a major league contract?  A 37-year-old who hit .196 last year and has been worth -4.5 wins over the last five years, with a high of 0.6?

Minor league deal.

By releasing Alvarez while he was in the minors it looks like he is entitled to his full minor league salary of 85k.  Its charge to the major league payroll became he was on a major league split contract.

Because he was injured on the job the O's should be responsible for his medical expenses less what is covered by Workers Compensation.

• Upvote 1

Just now, wildcard said:

By releasing Alvarez while he was in the minors it looks like he is entitled to his full minor league salary of 85k.  Its charge to the major league payroll became he was on a major league split contract.

Cheap compared to having to put him on the 40 man.

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Because he was injured on the job the O's should be responsible for his medical expenses less what is covered by Workers Compensation.

Obvious business decision, but still sad.   It will be interesting to see if he gets signed by anyone after his TJ surgery rehab.    

47 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

RA Dickey and Bartolo Colon must have wanted someone close to their age on the team so they could sit around and complain about these crazy kids and their damn Tweeter and ChatSnap.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I wonder if he was reluctant to change to pitcher because he knew he already had some elbow soreness. A throw one in a while vs pitching is quite different. Either way, it's a real shame for him. This story may not be completely written but it will become a pretty amazing one if he can come back and make it to the show.

You know I think the switch over from OF to Pitcher played the biggest role. It's a world apart in throwing the ball. OF have huge moment on their side so less stress. When is the last time you heard of the TJ injury from an OF player? Pitching puts stress on the elbow that he probably didn't know about.

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

RA Dickey and Bartolo Colon must have wanted someone close to their age on the team so they could sit around and complain about these crazy kids and their damn Tweeter and ChatSnap.

It's the 1927 A's model.  Cobb, Eddie Collins, Zach Wheat, plus Jack Quinn.  Three HOFers, plus 20-year-vet Quinn.  The youngest was 39.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, BradyBunch said:

You know I think the switch over from OF to Pitcher played the biggest role. It's a world apart in throwing the ball. OF have huge moment on their side so less stress. When is the last time you heard of the TJ injury from an OF player? Pitching puts stress on the elbow that he probably didn't know about.

Then again, OFers normally aren't gunning in the ball 80-100 times a game.

Unless Gallardo is pitching that day.

On 4/7/2017 at 8:47 AM, InsideCoroner said:

Then again, OFers normally aren't gunning in the ball 80-100 times a game.

Unless Gallardo is pitching that day.

True on Gallardo bit.. but OFs use their whole bodies. It's more of shoulder action then a elbow action.