Tony-OH

Orioles 2008 Draft coverage Overview discussion

Greg, whats your take on the kid Corey Thomas from Florida. I saw he signed with South Florida along with the catcher from Hosmer's team who was pretty highly thought of. I went on South Florida's website and the coach had a page where he talked about the recruits he signed. He said Corey is a pretty good pitcher too and said that the kid can play SS. If you have any other info on him I'd appreciate it because I'm interested in learning more about this kid because he seems like a pretty decent pick.

He is a 6' 3-205 SS from a Tampa HS (Middleton). While Thomas is already 19 and will turn 20 in September, he's performed very well at Wood Bat Tourneys and has power potential. He has a very good arm but scouts question his projectability. Watching his video, I came away feeling that he looked awkward at bat. He's ranked 34th in the state by PGCrosschecker.com, and 40th by BA.

RHP-Bobby Bundy (8), LHP-Nathan Moreau (11), LHP-Jarrett Martin (19), C-Xavier Lopez (25), and 44th rounder and Gaithersburg High's RHP-Kevin Brady in particular were picks I liked a great deal, later in the draft.

Matusz was a great pick, and Avery, Hoes and Hudson all have upside as hitters and while Hoes runs pretty well, Avery and Hudson are true burners.

While many of us are a bit forlorn about the choices, Jordan and the scouting staff deserve the benefit of the doubt. Time will tell.

I spoke with Joe in Harrisburg today. He seemed quite pleased with his draft :D

I spoke with Joe in Harrisburg today. He seemed quite pleased with his draft :D

I bet. :P

Naturally all of us 'wanna-be Joe Jordan's' feel the same way... we all had the perfect shadow draft. :mwahaha:

On 6/5/2008 at 2:25 PM, Tony-OH said:

OK Matusz and Smoak are left..... I'm kind of rooting for KC to take Matusz.

I would just like to go on record 10 years later that I wanted Smoak over Matusz! ;)

Seriously though, this is a really interesting read. Some blasts for the past and always fun to see how things were ten years ago around here.