Rene88

It's official-Acquino Starts Sat

41 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Asher pitched one of the best games of any Orioles SP up to that point. And he's rewarded how...being sent to the BP. 

Yeah, this one is a tad odd. At least send him back down to stay on a starters schedule if you don't plan on starting him in the majors. Having so many 5th starter candidates is great but won't be helpful if none of them can get stretched out.

14 minutes ago, Crazysilver03 said:

Yeah, this one is a tad odd. At least send him back down to stay on a starters schedule if you don't plan on starting him in the majors. Having so many 5th starter candidates is great but won't be helpful if none of them can get stretched out.

I could understand it if it was a lineup full of LH hitters. But Boston seems to be a bad match up for Aquino. Maybe it's just a "hunch" move. I like Aquino, but I think Asher earned another start.

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

I could understand it if it was a lineup full of LH hitters. But Boston seems to be a bad match up for Aquino. Maybe it's just a "hunch" move. I like Aquino, but I think Asher earned another start.

Maybe it will rain too much.  

3 hours ago, Crazysilver03 said:

I don't see them calling up Pedro if Rickard will be back within a week. 

Mullins could be a consideration since who ever is called up is going to be a 5th OF or PRer or late inning defense. 

Yeah, I don't agree on Mullins but that would be exciting! It's fun debating diffeeebt roster moves. 

4 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Asher pitched one of the best games of any Orioles SP up to that point. And he's rewarded how...being sent to the BP. 

We criticize Buck for not being flexible. Well he's playing matchups here. Remember Aquino outpitched everyone in ST for the 5th spot, it's just TOR was a bad matchup for him. I like what Buck is doing. 

7 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We criticize Buck for not being flexible. Well he's playing matchups here. Remember Aquino outpitched everyone in ST for the 5th spot, it's just TOR was a bad matchup for him. I like what Buck is doing. 

Pedroia, Betts, Ramirez, Bogarts, Young...that doesn't seem like a good matchup for Aquino either. 

12 hours ago, Natty said:

Why not Asher? They said he's going to the bullpen. Do what?

I agree. I don't get what Buck is doing. This kid looked really good in his start. I don't get what Buck is doing half the time. It's working so far, but I am truly confused. I thought we found our 5th starter.

12 hours ago, Flash- bd said:

Bit weird, isn't it, if that's the case? We're talking about potential marginal gains in the case of an emergency. Should that really be the decisive factor between two SPs? Shouldn't really be more than the tiebreaker, am I wrong? 

I think the tie breaker is that Buck wants to see the other half of a sub-optimal fifth starter duo to have impression when it comes time to evaluate an internal Tillman replacement if necessary. Miley and Ubaldo made that possible. 

6 minutes ago, joeyc said:

I agree. I don't get what Buck is doing. This kid looked really good in his start. I don't get what Buck is doing half the time. It's working so far, but I am truly confused. I thought we found our 5th starter.

Off of one start? A guy who used horse PEDS last season?

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Pedroia, Betts, Ramirez, Bogarts, Young...that doesn't seem like a good matchup for Aquino either. 

Red sox lineup vs Blake Snell (L) a few games ago;

Pedroia

Benintendi L

Betts

Ramirez

Boagarts

Moreland L

Young 

Leon S

Hernandez L

I'd say that's a weaker lineup than the lineup they trot out there against RHP's.  If Panda plays over hernandez than even better.  He has a .300 OPS this year vs LHP in 18 PA.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It worked for Nelson.

Nelson may not have stopped. We were talking about first impressions of a pitcher. Not a slugger who was defensively challenged and a good hitter when healthy and not suspended over a long career.