Roy Firestone

We are a slugging, strikeout lineup..I get it..but heres what bugs me,,,

23 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Yep. As if he's getting paid $21.8M to draw walks.

Well, taking a broader perspective, he's on pace for 3.9 rWAR, 3.1 fWAR and 35 homers, so he's arguably earning his salary despite the ridiculously high number of looking strikeouts.    But it's just hard to believe that he suddenly needs to be staring at strike three once every 6 plate appearances in order to be productive.  In his two most productive seasons (2013 and 2015), he struck out looking 48 and 56 times.    He's more than halfway to those totals, barely 1/4 of the way into the season.   

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Through 42 games, Davis has struck out looking 30 times.     That's a crazy high number.    As best I can tell, nobody else in MLB has more than 19.     

Lead the league in K's looking last year, about to do the same this year....

2 minutes ago, joecap said:

Lead the league in K's looking last year, about to do the same this year....

He didn't just lead the league, he set the all-time record by a margin of 13 (by my calculation; I'm not aware of an official record).    And this year he's running almost 50% higher than last year.   

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

Through 42 games, Davis has struck out looking 30 times.     That's a crazy high number.    As best I can tell, nobody else in MLB has more than 19.     

I did not look but like Roy said it seems like ALOT of those called 3rd strikes are right down the pipe too? I shake my head and just say to myself how could you not swing at that with 2 strikes?

4 hours ago, Phantom said:

This is hilarious considering how much grief Adam Jones gets for striking out swinging at balls in the dirt.

So all we demand from our players is perfect pitch recognition?

Nope.  It's like they want our players be like gods that never make mistakes.  

7 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Come on. Nobody's saying that and you know it.

16 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Or, people want arguably our best power hitter to swing at at least one out of three meatball fastballs right down the pipe when we are down in the 8th inning. It is a perfectly fair complaint.

24 minutes ago, dan-O said:

Swing.

The.

Bat.

It's ridiculous.

Exactly. It's three perfect, center-cut fastballs that he is capable of hitting hard and, if fortunate, driving over the fence for a go-ahead home run. If Davis swung at all three and missed, fans (including myself) would be frustrated for sure, but at least if he had swung and missed the situation would not be so perplexing.

53 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Come on. Nobody's saying that and you know it.

Guy hits 30+ HR 100+ RBI, and 80+ BB and you're bitching about too many called third strikes?

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

There's a difference between expecting perfect pitch recognition and expecting a guy not to break his own major league record for looking strikeouts by a margin of 50%.     (79 last year, on pace for 116 this year.).   

Do you really care about how much he strikes out looking vs. swinging? Do you really care how much he strikes out? His BB/K has been steady for three years, and he's on pace to be a very valuable hitter again. Why do we take the good and demand it to be great?

16 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Guy hits 30+ HR 100+ RBI, and 80+ BB and you're bitching about too many called third strikes?

Right now he's on pace for about 66 RBI, not 100.    Last year he knocked in 84. 

At the same time, I'm not necessarily linking his propensity for taking called third strikes with his low RBI total.    Of his 63 K's, only 25 have been with runners on base, and only 11 with runners in scoring position.    His low RBI total is more linked to the general fact that he hasn't hit well, or with much power, with runners on base so far this year (7 of 9 homers and 6 of 7 doubles have come with bases empty).   

16 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Do you really care about how much he strikes out looking vs. swinging? Do you really care how much he strikes out? His BB/K has been steady for three years, and he's on pace to be a very valuable hitter again. Why do we take the good and demand it to be great?

Because he's being paid the most money of anyone on the team by a wide margin, and we have seen him play much better than this.    But to be clear, having high strikeouts is expected with Davis, and it's certainly not the sole basis for judging him.    But watching take a lot of obvious strike threes is frustrating, and it does make you wonder whether there's some underlying issue.    It's not like he's always watched so many strike three's go by.

I wonder why he doesn't sit on down the middle fastballs more. They usually throw him one first pitch because he's the one guy in the lineup that never swings first pitch. Either way I've noticed he usual always gets a fat fastball either early or the last pitch. Sit and rip!