LookitsPuck

DFA Ubaldo

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Bud Norris made it all the way through July in 2015 and through the end of June before he lost his rotation spot.     I think we have more alternatives this year in both the rotation and the bullpen.    Asher, Ynoa, and maybe this kid Kipper for the rotation.    A bunch of guys for the bullpen.    I will be surpised if they release him after this game but I would be surprised to see him make it through the whole season.   I do not buy your "rested for his best work in September theory".     He should have been very well rested for April and May.

Bud was good the year before and missed a bunch of starts that year he lasted til June.  Ubaldo has been bad for a few years.

Let's see when Ynoa goes into the rotation in Norfolk.  If he starts on Thursday that would put him in the spot to take over for Ubaldo

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Asher. Ynoa. 

Ynoa has not been good at AAA.  His numbers are close to his.  I think he is option but not sure.  I think Buck likes Asher in the relief spot.

1 minute ago, bpilktree said:

Ynoa has not been good at AAA.  His numbers are close to his.  I think he is option but not sure.  I think Buck likes Asher in the relief spot.

Asher has been great in MR. But starting is more valuable.  Verrett could step into that role. 

36 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The team is more important than any one individual.   This isn't the "Rescue Ubaldo's Career" team.   It's the "We want the best chance to win" team.   That means no Ubaldo in the rotation and no Ubaldo in the bullpen.    It will be a weight lifted off the rest of the team.   Whenever Ubaldo is in a game, even when he's pitching well (for Ubaldo), you are always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

If I were the pitching coach on his next team, I would tell him to stop thinking he's a 5 pitch pitcher.   He can't command a single one of them.   For a guy who has trouble with command and release points it's comical that he attempts to throw a two seamer, 4 seamer, curveball, slider, and splitter.    I would treat him like a rookie and tell him to throw a 4 seamer and splitter and wouldn't even allow him to throw the other pitches.   Maybe he could figure a way to command two instead of not commanding 

My theory for what it's worth which is probably nothing. When Ubaldo first came to the team, he was losing his velocity. So he and his coaches figured that he should learn several different pitches to compensate. This isn't working as we can see. Whatever team he winds up - if any - he should concentrate on just 1 pitch. I remember when Bud Norris was relegated to the bullpen and later was let go. He wound up as a bullpen cog for the Braves,  then for the Dodgers, and now for the Angels. Maybe that sort of thing will be Ubaldo's fate. I do have a tendency to follow ex- Orioles such as Johnson, Norris, Cruz, Markakis, and others. So we'll see. 

The guy I am intrigued about is a guy not on the 40 man.  Jordan Kipper he has been great at AA and AAA.  I am not sure he is ready yet though but an option down the line.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Asher has been great in MR. But starting is more valuable.  Verrett could step into that role. 

Asher has been in late inning spots a few times lately.  Verret has been goood here but he still has an ERA of 6 plus in AAA.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Asher has been better as a starter than Verrett.  Verrett is better in relief and starting.

Maybe I am off base but listening to post game I think he is done.  Buck was asked about him going to the pen and he turned the question around and said is that good for the pen?  

I think we may see up to 3 moves tomorrow. Just a feeling of finality tonight. The fact that after a 7 inning start Wilson being brought to back says it all.  

3 minutes ago, Nevermore said:

My theory for what it's worth, which is probably nothing. When Ubaldo first came to the team, he was losing his velocity. So he and his coaches figured that he should learn several different pitches to compensate. This isn't working as we can see. Whatever team he winds up - if any - he should concentrate on just 1 pitch. I remember when Bud Norris was relegated to the bullpen and later was let go. He wound up as a bullpen cog for the Braves,  then for the Dodgers, and now for the Angels. Maybe that sort of thing will be Ubaldo's fate. I do have a tendency to follow ex- Orioles such as Johnson, Norris, Cruz, Markakis, and others. So we'll see. 

Bud uses two pitches an one is 95 mph.  Ubaldo throws maybe 91 he doesn't have the stuff unless he has the control.  You can get away a bit if you throw hard enough.

11 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

40 man Roster is at 38 with the DFA of Pena and Gentry.

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Maybe I am off base but listening to post game I think he is done.  Buck was asked about him going to the pen and he turned the question around and said is that good for the pen?  

I think we may see up to 3 moves tomorrow. Just a feeling of finality tonight. The fact that after a 7 inning start Wilson being brought to back says it all.  

Either that or he stays in rotation. I don't think the pen is option though with its struggles.

This is the final year of his contract. I think economically there is a real chance is is finally done here.   We can cut bait and not have to worry about the lost money.   

Or management can choose to run him out there and hurt the team every five days....