LookitsPuck

DFA Ubaldo

14 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

No, it's Peter's. You don't think both of those guys badly wanted to get rid of Ubaldo last year? Only reason he stuck around was Petey wouldn't pony up the money to eat that contract. 

Oh please. They cut Norris after a few months and a decent chunk of salary still left. 

This is a Duquette decision. Not Peter. 

4 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Oh please. They cut Norris after a few months and a decent chunk of salary still left. 

I agree that it is a Duqette decision at this point.  But Dan has shown a willingness to trade picks for salary relief.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree that it is a Duqette decision at this point.  But Dan has shown a willingness to trade picks for salary relief.

Dan does have a budget. If he chooses to cut bait then Ubaldo is replaced with someone that does not add salary. 

41 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I agree. Peter would not be making this decision. 

Ubaldo seems like a likable guy, but ultimately you lose if you depend on him, so I would have cut ties with him a long time ago.  If he wasn't such a good guy, I think he'd be gone... a long time ago.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Ubaldo seems like a likable guy, but ultimately you lose if you depend on him, so I would have cut ties with him a long time ago.  If he wasn't such a good guy, I think he'd be gone... a long time ago.  

I think if he did not have months of being an unhittable stopper interspersed with his sheer awfulness that he would be gone. Yes. 

• Upvote 1

It appears there are two separate questions.   1.  Keep him in the rotation-  I think there is no way  he stays out there much longer and that Asher will take a start or two and permanently if he doesn't get absolutely clobbered.   2.  DFA-  Much higher likelihood than this time last year when it would have cost an additional 13 million or so.   But, all in all, I think they send him to the pen again, unless Dan can work out a trade of some sort. 

I am wondering whether Ubaldo's "good guy" reputation with his teammates is a factor in Os management not cutting him outright. I have read many people here and in other places talking about how Ubaldo and his performances are supposedly ruining team morale. It's possible that cutting him outright might negatively affect team morale. Yep, I  know that these guys are professionals and therefore are used to seeing nice, favorite teammates get cut, traded, etc. I am wondering whether Alan Mills can really convert Ubaldo into a long reliever.  This would be a last resort rather than cutting him right now

I'm sure the players like Ubaldo.  I also think they'll have no problem with him getting released.  It's a performance based business.  He hasn't performed and he's worn out his get out of jail free card.  Goodbye and good luck.  Can't feel too bad for a guy who made 52M over the last 4 years.

• Upvote 1

He's not just hurting the team's record, he's getting bullpen guys sent down and demoted constantly because of his pitiful starts.

The team looks demoralized every time he talks takes the mound and walks the entire lineup.

A few brief bright spots do not make up for 3 1/2 awful years.

It's time to cut the cord and give someone with some actual upside a chance. Ubaldo is not even remotely good enough for a contending team.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Nevermore said:

I am wondering whether Ubaldo's "good guy" reputation with his teammates is a factor in Os management not cutting him outright. I have read many people here and in other places talking about how Ubaldo and his performances are supposedly ruining team morale. It's possible that cutting him outright might negatively affect team morale. Yep, I  know that these guys are professionals and therefore are used to seeing nice, favorite teammates get cut, traded, etc.

It's probably the opposite. The players understand that management is putting Ubaldo in this position. As frustrating as it is, they're not going to take the Ubaldo situation out on Ubaldo the dude.

13 hours ago, Nevermore said:

I am wondering whether Alan Mills can really convert Ubaldo into a long reliever.  This would be a last resort rather than cutting him right now

I think Kevin-Gregging him would be a decent choice.

On 5/23/2017 at 11:46 AM, eddie83 said:

Hate to keep harping on the same point but the fact that Castro was sent down for Wilson BEFORE the game says it all. The Orioles are telling everyone including Ubaldo we don't trust you. 

If Asher fails they can always send him back to the pen. Have to try something and stop running someone out there that the team is afraid of. If they are fortunate enough to be in the race in late July perhaps DD can pull off a Joe Saunders type.  

I don't think sending Castro down in favor of Wilson was entirely about Ubaldo.    The O's have a work plan for Castro and even though he did decently in his two appearances I think the O's believe he needs to work on certain things to be an effective major league pitcher.    He's now pitching every fifth day in Bowie, piggybacking off Scott.   He threw 4.1 innings yesterday.