LookitsPuck

DFA Ubaldo

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don't think sending Castro down in favor of Wilson was entirely about Ubaldo.    The O's have a work plan for Castro and even though he did decently in his two appearances I think the O's believe he needs to work on certain things to be an effective major league pitcher.    He's now pitching every fifth day in Bowie, piggybacking off Scott.   He threw 4.1 innings yesterday.  

I think he was an emergency call-up for a faltering back of the Orioles bullpen that had blown five games in seven. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't think sending Castro down in favor of Wilson was entirely about Ubaldo.    The O's have a work plan for Castro and even though he did decently in his two appearances I think the O's believe he needs to work on certain things to be an effective major league pitcher.    He's now pitching every fifth day in Bowie, piggybacking off Scott.   He threw 4.1 innings yesterday.  

4 hours ago, weams said:

I think he was an emergency call-up for a faltering back of the Orioles bullpen that had blown five games in seven. 

That makes sense except for the fact he didn't pitch at all vs Toronto. Why call him up, have him pitch well and then on the day Ubaldo pitches send him down?  Why wait?

Ubaldo is lucky again.  There is literally nobody to replace him at the moment.  Once Ynoa gets healthy and a start in at AAA he will be the guy.  Asher looks like he's too valuable to take out the rotation.  Even Verrett is on Paternity leave so we can't even bump Asher into the rotation at the moment.  Once the dust is settle I see our best 12 man staff as the following;

Bundy, Miley, Gausman, Tillman, Ynoa

Brach, O'day, Givens, Asher, Verrett, Hart, Fresh Arm

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Ubaldo is lucky again.  There is literally nobody to replace him at the moment.  Once Ynoa gets healthy and a start in at AAA he will be the guy.  Asher looks like he's too valuable to take out the rotation.  Even Verrett is on Paternity leave so we can't even bump Asher into the rotation at the moment.  Once the dust is settle I see our best 12 man staff as the following;

Bundy, Miley, Gausman, Tillman, Ynoa

Brach, O'day, Givens, Asher, Verrett, Hart, Fresh Arm

Paternity leave is only three days.    When did Verrett's start?

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Paternity leave is only three days.    When did Verrett's start?

Verrett pitched on 5/16 and didn't pitch again until today 5/24.  Seems like it was all a timing matter.  He's been pitching every 3-4 days in AAA and in multiple inning outings.  Guess the kid popped up around 5/20 and he missed his normal outing.  

I'd say he's ready for a callup.  He only pitched 1.1 IP today.  With an off day tomorrow, he should be called up and Wilson sent down.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, Asher's sure looking like a big upgrade today....

>:(

It was one  of those days for Asher. He looked nervous to me, even though he had started successfully before . I think he will do OK next start. As for Ubaldo,  he did his job pretty well as a mop up man, eating up innings to save the more important guys  (O'Day, Brach, Givens and others) who will be needed for higher leverage situations.

Buck in his presser sounded like Ubaldo will go back into the rotation.   I would think that Asher will go back to the pen.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Buck in his presser sounded like Ubaldo will go back into the rotation.   I would think that Asher will go back to the pen.

I think we all saw that one coming.

1 hour ago, Nevermore said:

It was one  of those days for Asher. He looked nervous to me, even though he had started successfully before . I think he will do OK next start. As for Ubaldo,  he did his job pretty well as a mop up man, eating up innings to save the more important guys  (O'Day, Brach, Givens and others) who will be needed for higher leverage situations.

That's assuming we ever have high leverage situations again....at this rate, I dunno...

35 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I didn't get that impression. Buck said that Ubaldo will be available out of the pen, but not for 3- 4 days because of the number of innings he pitched during  this game.  I've never seen Buck pull Ubaldo or anyone else out of the rotation for only one start. Buck had said earlier that Ubaldo's poor pitching was something he had to work out. Now if Ubaldo had pitched 6 shutout innings then perhaps that would be different.  Ubaldo was basically pitching mop up and did a decent job of that, but he did give up 2 runs. I got no impression that Buck intends  that Asher and Ubaldo would switch places again

Now it's possible that Buck might try a different pitcher in this rotation spot.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm pretty sure Ubaldo can survive a nuclear explosion. He's like a Twinkie. 

I thought it's cockroaches that would survive.