Roy Firestone

I just want to say this about Mancini

Its too premature to anoint him anything.

Weve seen a ton of flashes that never even got  the pan..let alone in it, but something feels real here.

He's an athlete who looks like he can hold his own in the field...maybe better than we thought.

He seems like he's all business, kindle reminds me of Ripken in 83'...Maybe not MVP of the league but a youngster well beyond his years.

Thats why I compare him to Cal.

Seems level headed, serious, and studious.

Cal was 22 years old in 1983 and earned the MVP and was instrumental in the clubs world title.

Trey Mancini is now 25 years old in his first full season.

Mancini looks like he is in control at the plate like Cal did.

I loved that he talked about going into the cage and preparing for two pitches.

I love that he wanted to see the pitchers slider and fastball. on Tv 'because you can see the pitches better".

Sure, maybe a lot of guys do that..but a lot of guys wouldn't his two monstrous shots to tie and win the game...and both had everything on the line.

This kid is special...as far as I can tell.

The league will adjust, but sooner or later Buck has to realize(I think he does now) that Trey Mancini must NOT leave this everyday lineup...not against lefties..nor in any situation at all.

He will get better in the field.

He will get better at the plate.

He will get better vs. lefties.

He will get better as a ballplayer.

God, does HE look like a ballplayer.

Trey bien.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

It's too premature to anoint him anything.

We've seen a ton of flashes that never even got  the pan ... let alone in it, but something feels real, here.

He's an athlete who looks like he can hold his own in the field ... maybe better than we thought.

He seems like he's all business, kind of reminds me of Ripken in 83... Maybe not MVP of the league, but a youngster well beyond his years.

That's why I compare him to Cal.

He seems level-headed, serious, and studious.

Cal was 22 years old in 1983, earned the AL MVP, and was instrumental in the club's world title that year.

Trey Mancini is now 25 years-old, in his first full season.

Mancini looks like he is in control at the plate, like Cal did.

I loved that he talked about going into the cage, and preparing for two pitches.

I love that he wanted to see the pitcher's slider and fastball on TV, "because you can see the pitches better."

Sure, maybe a lot of guys do that ... but a lot of guys wouldn't hit two monstrous shots to tie and win the game ... and both had everything on the line.

This kid is special ... as far as I can tell.

The league will adjust, but sooner or later Buck has to realize (I think he does now) that Trey Mancini must NOT leave this everyday lineup ... not against lefties, nor in any situation at all.

He will get better in the field.

He will get better at the plate.

He will get better vs. lefties.

He will get better as a ballplayer.

God, does he look like a ballplayer.

Trey bien.

o

Roy, why are you in such a good mood ???

We lost tonight. It wasn't our night.

o

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Roy, why are you in such a good mood ???

We lost tonight. It wasn't our night.

o

Oh, God how I love to mocked , ridiculed, and derided, after we win. My girlfriend has made a career out of it.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Oh, God how I love to mocked, ridiculed, and derided after we win. My girlfriend has made a career out of it.

o

Roy, I'm glad that you're on our side.

I was just being a dick.

o

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Oh, God how I love to mocked , ridiculed, and derided, after we win. My girlfriend has made a career out of it.

So who is a good comp for Mancini, statistically, stylistically and keeping age in mind?

One guy who keeps coming to mind for me is Kevin Millar.    Millar walked more, and Mancini debuted a bit younger and seems to have a bit more power, but I still find them similar.   I'm not referring to the tail-end of career Millar who played for the Orioles, but the whole version, i.e., the guy who had four .850+ OPS seasons mixed in with some lesser seasons, but was always a guy who looked like he knew what he was doing at the plate.   

Mitch Moreland is another guy who strikes me as similar, though left-handed.    

I don't see Mancini as a future all-star, but I do see him as a nugget who will be an asset to the team for years to come.    Gary Roenicke, maybe?     But a bit better?

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

So who is a good comp for Mancini, statistically, stylistically and keeping age in mind?

One guy who keeps coming to mind for me is Kevin Millar.    Millar walked more, and Mancini debuted a bit younger and seems to have a bit more power, but I still find them similar.   I'm not referring to the tail-end of career Millar who played for the Orioles, but the whole version, i.e., the guy who had four .850+ OPS seasons mixed in with some lesser seasons, but was always a guy who looked like he knew what he was doing at the plate.   

I don't see Mancini as a future all-star, but I do see him as a nugget who will be an asset to the team for years to come.    Gary Roenicke, maybe?     But a bit better?

Better, much, much better.

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Reminds a bit of a RH version of Sean Casey. Mostly line drive hitter with home run power. Unfortunately, like Roenicke, a RH version of Sean Casey might not translate to an every day MLB player. Actually Trumbo is also not a bad comp. As RH hitters who are good (not great) hitters, it is a challenge to get them in the lineup every day.

Mancini reminds me of Richie Sexton. I love that he has power to all fields, and just maybe, is turning into a clutch hitter--which we need very badly.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Gary Roenicke was an excellent defensive outfielder who had a little pop in his bat. I do not see a comparison to Roenicke. That said, I like mancini a lot, I think his offensive potential is high. Very, very high. I hope that he can become a good OFer and I am encouraged by what I have seen so far.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/06/mancinis-impressive-risp-stats-and-other-notes-from-last-night.html. "Mancini is now batting .483 (14-for-29) with six homers, 24 RBIs and an OPS of 1.672 when batting with runners in scoring position. Last night, he hit with a runner in scoring position and two outs each time he batted. For the season, when he hits with RISP and two outs, Mancini is batting .583 (7-for-12) with three homers, 11 RBIs and a 2.083 OPS."