weams

2017 Orioles Draft Tracker

Just now, phillyOs119 said:

Adam Hall is said to have agreed to terms with the O's. (from a Texas A&M article).

Nice.  I hope they managed to save a few bucks on him.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Me too, it does sound like he never considered going to college. He's an absolute steal IMO if they can ink him for under slot.

4 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

Me too, it does sound like he never considered going to college. He's an absolute steal IMO if they can ink him for under slot.

I like him but the O's did pick him higher than he was rated (for what that is worth).  They might even have had a deal in place.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Speculating, but signing that quickly, I'd be willing to bet they did. 

Mason McCoy

He'll be at Aberdeen.  We are a host family with them and were just informed he'll be staying with us, beginning tomorrow (Saturday).

12 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Speculating, but signing that quickly, I'd be willing to bet they did. 

Agreed, and great news.  The kid may be a little raw, but I love the athleticism and upside.  Our system desperately needs athletic shortstops who can actually stick at that position.

20 hours ago, Oldorioles said:

I can confirm that 6th round pick, Mason McCoy, has signed.  We are a host family for the Ironbirds and we've just been informed he's staying with us.  He will arrive tomorrow.

Cool.   Have you hosted players in the past?    Who?

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Someone indicated that the savings are 6 through 10. 

Doesn't mean they couldn't have picked up a few bucks from rounds 2-5.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Doesn't mean they couldn't have picked up a few bucks from rounds 2-5.

I suspect they don't think they will. 

Looks like DL is ready to hardball

"I think that's something that me and my family are working on making a decision," Hall said. "But I think either way it will be a blessing, whether I go play pro ball or if I do go play for Florida State. I think either way it's a win-win situation.

"... It's kind of one of those decisions that you make after [the draft] really, I've always been a real big fan of college and college has always [been] big for me in my head, but we'll see what happens."

On 6/16/2017 at 1:13 PM, hoosiers said:

Give me some warning next time and I will do some editing. 

I did see an article where first round pick Hall discussed signing with Os versus college as two great options.  I have rarely seen a top prospect outside the consensus top 5 turn down $3M, but if Hall did, we would have that $ available from the 6-10 underslots to go after Jones and Allen.  One other thing with Hall that is a bit odd is that I have seen him listed at 6'2" on multiple sources and then 6 feet on others.  Hall has a big upside.

It would be nice to see the Os tell Hall to take slot $ or go to college.

Edit. And I will. Thanks for the contribution.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Remember making raids to Bostons message board to read the depression that september of 11?  Sons of Sam Horn was so much fun reading.  "Robert F...ing Andino" all they could say.  Andino beat the Red Sox three different times in like a three week time that fall.   Imagine them hating Andino with a passion!
    • Turns out the Padres teach this, as did the O's under Buck.
    • Hi! May I ask where you got those stats? I'm trying to be smarter when it comes to baseball and understand stats like you do. I really wanna be able to talk baseball with all of you, but I don't know a lot and don't know the sites you go to and how you know so much. 
    • I came here to weigh in on Bundy too as he's off to a rough start. Just looking at the numbers, I think Bundy while not pitching well is having bad luck in addition. His WHIP is 1.26, 4.08 FIP and 1.5 home runs per nine innings. All of those stats are within his career averages or slightly better so far. I think Bundy will come around if he keeps the home runs allowed from blowing up and doesn't get wild.   
    • Bundy now has a 6.02 ERA even though his peripherals aren't bad. Long ball maybe? Gausman is still killing it with a 1.84 ERA and 0.84 WHIP.
    • wildcard, you stole my thunder.   For years I posted an “at the quarter pole” thread that listed how various stats projected out.   Thanks for saving me the work! So what’s real, what’s not real, and what’s still undecided?   I’ve always felt that somewhere between now and Memorial Day was around the time to start taking stats seriously.   Not that they’ll all hold, but they are no longer the product of absurdly small sample sizes.  Here’s a few thoughts. The offensive player who seems most likely for a course correction is Cedric Mullins - his BA is 27 points above his xBA, his wOBA is 37 points above his xwOBA, his BABIP is 69 points above league average.   His numbers are going to head significantly down.   The good news: even with those corrections he should be an above average major league CF this year when the dust has cleared, and his defense is outstanding.   Both Maikel Franco and Rio Ruiz have very low BABIPs, but when you look behind that, they are making very poor contact and their xBA and xwOBA are very close to their BA and wOBA.    I’d like to think that at least Franco will rebound, but I’m not counting on it. I don’t see anyone else whose actual BA/wOBA are grossly disparate from expectations based on K rate and quality of contact.  Still, I feel there is way more upside vs. downside in the offense.    Lots of players are underperforming past numbers and I have to feel they will come around.   Some of the younger guys are still learning and will improve as the year progresses I think.  The offense is at 3.85 runs/game and .669.   I expect those numbers to rise, though our offense will remain below average.    It’s too late at night for me to shift gears and talk pitching.    Offhand I don’t see likely improvement there on a group basis, but I’ll need to look a little harder.    
    • Ordinarily, I'd say about a guy like Sisco, who has some credentials as a hitter but looks lost at the plate, "Give him steady, regular at-bats and see whether he hits." I might still say that. But the complication is that the Orioles have a catcher they expect to be getting most of the ABs for a few years. I think it's unlikely that giving Sisco a lot more ABs will help determine whether he should be considered for the role of back-up catcher, but maybe it would help him develop better habits or gain confidence or something that would bear on his value as Adley's backup.    
  • Popular Contributors