Jump to content
weams

2017 Orioles Draft Tracker

Recommended Posts

On 6/27/2017 at 10:18 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

That's good. That still puts us at $429k in savings. We don't know if Conlon got any over slot. Hopefully Hall won't take up all that and we can still throw 200k at a couple of these high school draftees from rds 11-40. 

125 is the slot under this CBA for +10

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11-40 rd guys that have signed that could've gotten over 125k,

18. (538): Jacob Brown - CF - Northeast Guilford HS (NC)

19. (568): Adam Stauffer - RHP - Coatsville Area Sr HS (PA) 

So depending on what Conlon gets, or if these guys got over 125k, we have about 500k left to add to add on top of the 125k to convince a kid to avoid college.  I like those odds.  Looks like it's all CC and HS guys except the one underclassmen from Cal.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Who do we know from rounds 11-40 that have received more than 100k to sign?

It's 125 with the new CBA

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless Conlon is asking for $1M, and assuming he signs for closer to slot, the Os will have about $600k to offer one of Allen/Jones without paying a tax.  They could offer about $950k to one of those guys and pay the tax.  The interesting thing here is that I think it is reasonable at this point to EXPECT the Os to sign one of Allen/Jones (again, assuming Conlon doesn't break the bank).  Why?  Because if we did not, and Conlon gets near slot, the Os would have under-spent their slot $ by $500k which means we should have ended up with more talent during the draft - one less senior sign, one more prospect - Allen in the sixth round.

I like how the Os took Allen AND Jones.  It allows the Os to draft and sign one of them - presumably Allen - if the $ available are closer to $400k-$600k and the Jones if the $ is closer to $800k.  If the Os talk them down $-wise, I believe it is still possible to get both if Jones takes about $700k and Allen $400k.

Considering the high-end talent we ended up with DL Hall in the first round, I think adding one or both of Allen/Jones would make our draft talent haul one of the recent best relative to our draft slots.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Unless Conlon is asking for $1M, and assuming he signs for closer to slot, the Os will have about $600k to offer one of Allen/Jones without paying a tax.  They could offer about $950k to one of those guys and pay the tax.  The interesting thing here is that I think it is reasonable at this point to EXPECT the Os to sign one of Allen/Jones (again, assuming Conlon doesn't break the bank).  Why?  Because if we did not, and Conlon gets near slot, the Os would have under-spent their slot $ by $500k which means we should have ended up with more talent during the draft - one less senior sign, one more prospect - Allen in the sixth round.

I like how the Os took Allen AND Jones.  It allows the Os to draft and sign one of them - presumably Allen - if the $ available are closer to $400k-$600k and the Jones if the $ is closer to $800k.  If the Os talk them down $-wise, I believe it is still possible to get both if Jones takes about $700k and Allen $400k.

Considering the high-end talent we ended up with DL Hall in the first round, I think adding one or both of Allen/Jones would make our draft talent haul one of the recent best relative to our draft slots.

Don't underestimate Jason WIllow, I'm just as high on him as Greg Jones.  Big projectable SS, with power potential and a nice swing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Don't underestimate Jason WIllow, I'm just as high on him as Greg Jones.  Big projectable SS, with power potential and a nice swing.

Willow was ranked just outside the BA Top 250 at 271.  I imagine there is a scenario where the Os sign Allen and Willow instead of Jones based on the $.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Willow was ranked just outside the BA Top 250 at 271.  I imagine there is a scenario where the Os sign Allen and Willow instead of Jones based on the $.  

I don't really put much stock in those rankings, pretty much anyone outside of the top 50 are 40-45 grade prospects and it's just a matter of personal to team preference on how they are ranked.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2017 at 4:34 PM, hoosiers said:

Unless Conlon is asking for $1M, and assuming he signs for closer to slot, the Os will have about $600k to offer one of Allen/Jones without paying a tax.  They could offer about $950k to one of those guys and pay the tax.  The interesting thing here is that I think it is reasonable at this point to EXPECT the Os to sign one of Allen/Jones (again, assuming Conlon doesn't break the bank).  Why?  Because if we did not, and Conlon gets near slot, the Os would have under-spent their slot $ by $500k which means we should have ended up with more talent during the draft - one less senior sign, one more prospect - Allen in the sixth round.

I like how the Os took Allen AND Jones.  It allows the Os to draft and sign one of them - presumably Allen - if the $ available are closer to $400k-$600k and the Jones if the $ is closer to $800k.  If the Os talk them down $-wise, I believe it is still possible to get both if Jones takes about $700k and Allen $400k.

Considering the high-end talent we ended up with DL Hall in the first round, I think adding one or both of Allen/Jones would make our draft talent haul one of the recent best relative to our draft slots.

  1.  Pinned Tweet

    So blessed and thankful for the opportunity that the @Orioles have given me 🙏🏽🐦⚾️#TrustTheProcess

     
  2.  Jack Conlon Retweeted

    Introducing first round draft pick, LHP DL Hall. Welcome to #Birdland, DL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, weams said:
  1.  Pinned Tweet

    So blessed and thankful for the opportunity that the @Orioles have given me 🙏🏽🐦⚾️#TrustTheProcess

     
  2.  Jack Conlon Retweeted

    Introducing first round draft pick, LHP DL Hall. Welcome to #Birdland, DL!

That bird is the wrong color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have an idea what type money Cameron Bishop and Jason Willow were asking? Is there any possibility the O's could sign one or both of these guys?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...