Jump to content
weams

2017 Orioles Draft Tracker

Recommended Posts

49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That was an incredibly poorly written article.  Belinsky's comments about not receiving a compensation pick were ridiculous, given that no compensation is ever allowed for not signing a 4th round pick, whether the physical is passed or failed.  This would have been easily avoided by doing the bare minimum amount of research.  The MLB draft is a focus of Baseball America, and such an obvious mistake is really inexcusable. 

His use of the word "alleged"  is inappropriate and intentionally misleading.  It is not merely alleged - the player did fail the Orioles' physical.  It is an absolute fact. 

He claims a long history of players failing the Orioles' physicals and passing those of other teams, yet lists zero examples.  Those examples would, of course, have shown that the Orioles' physical examination findings have, by and large, proven to be correct. 

Belinsky was lazy and failed to do his homework.  I'm not really familiar with the man's work, but if this is representative of it, Baseball America needs to strongly consider making a change, IMO.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2017 at 8:40 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't say I thought it made sense.

I think that at some level ownership wants to spend money on "proven commodities".

I think they believe that there is No Such Thing. As a prospect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Number5 said:

That was an incredibly poorly written article.  Belinsky's comments about not receiving a compensation pick were ridiculous, given that no compensation is ever allowed for not signing a 4th round pick, whether the physical is passed or failed.  This would have been easily avoided by doing the bare minimum amount of research.  The MLB draft is a focus of Baseball America, and such an obvious mistake is really inexcusable. 

His use of the word "alleged"  is inappropriate and intentionally misleading.  It is not merely alleged - the player did fail the Orioles' physical.  It is an absolute fact. 

He claims a long history of players failing the Orioles' physicals and passing those of other teams, yet lists zero examples.  Those examples would, of course, have shown that the Orioles' physical examination findings have, by and large, proven to be correct. 

Belinsky was lazy and failed to do his homework.  I'm not really familiar with the man's work, but if this is representative of it, Baseball America needs to strongly consider making a change, IMO.

All the publications have gotten so poor. And they hire such amateur talent. Very few of them are objective writers either.  I agree. No level of actual work or effort is put forward. It's all "have a take." Even if it stinks.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we can't hate on the O's for being cheap.  We pretty much used all of our draft pool money again.  Bishop for Conlon seems like a good trade off for us.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

So we can't hate on the O's for being cheap.  We pretty much used all of our draft pool money again.  Bishop for Conlon seems like a good trade off for us.  

Yep.  Conlon hasn't signed yet right?  Could mean nothing could mean something.  Still very interested in how his story unfolds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing no one should question Gary Rajsich on is his ability sign guys. Bishop was a nice fall back option once Conlon failed the physical. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2017 at 1:51 PM, Tony-OH said:

The one thing no one should question Gary Rajsich on is his ability sign guys. Bishop was a nice fall back option once Conlon failed the physical. 

Just saw that Bishop was an over slot guy. His stats in Frederick aren't particularly good (high WHIP, mediocre ERA, good K's). Does he have upside?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Just saw that Bishop was an over slot guy. His stats in Frederick aren't particularly good (high WHIP, mediocre ERA, good K's). Does he have upside?

Maybe as a reliever. His stuff is usually underwhelming but he's been able to put up some numbers. the just in walks this year is not encouraging though. Most likely suggests he's not getting as many guys to chase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. I didn't even realize he was on the prospect list until right now. Totally off my personal radar, not that that means anything. Lol.

The 10.1 K rate is nice. The 5.3 BB rate is not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/9/2017 at 4:54 PM, weams said:

All the publications have gotten so poor. And they hire such amateur talent. Very few of them are objective writers either.  I agree. No level of actual work or effort is put forward. It's all "have a take." Even if it stinks.

Everyone made their ways behind the great pay wall at the Athletic.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Catch 8 said:

Everyone made their ways behind the great pay wall at the Athletic.

Going to be something watching them all scrambling for jobs in three years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...