Slade-OH

2017 4th round pick (128): Jack Conlon - RHP - Clements HS (TX)

17 hours ago, hoosiers said:

I don't interpret the comments the same way and would be interested if we had any access to our scouting director for clarification.  When our SD says, "We were excited to get that one" - I interpret that as our guys not thinking Conlon would be there when we had the pick - not that there was a pre-draft deal.  What does sound odd is the next comment - "We got a little creative to get that one done".  So, perhaps (my interpretation), the Os did not expect Conlon to be there AND decided the pick would require overslot $ and that we would be adding another "senior sign" in the top 10 picks instead of going for a talent later in the top 10 worthy of the entire bonus. 

I agree; the "creative" comment was definitely interesting.  I first assumed "creative" meant having to draft another underslot to get Conlon signed, but the more I thought about it I didn't really find that necessarily creative.  Every team drafts underslots to save money for overslots; that doesn't make it creative.  Is it possible they drafted Conlon's buddy in the very next round (and earlier than expected) both to save money and encourage Conlon to sign?  Would they even discuss that with Conlon?  Then again, I may just have draft overload and am completely over-analyzing this...

14 minutes ago, Otter said:

I agree; the "creative" comment was definitely interesting.  I first assumed "creative" meant having to draft another underslot to get Conlon signed, but the more I thought about it I didn't really find that necessarily creative.  Every team drafts underslots to save money for overslots; that doesn't make it creative.  Is it possible they drafted Conlon's buddy in the very next round (and earlier than expected) both to save money and encourage Conlon to sign?  Would they even discuss that with Conlon?  Then again, I may just have draft overload and am completely over-analyzing this...

That would definitely be "creative" taking Conlon and his bud perhaps in a package deal.  I thought about that possibility about five minutes after my post, but didn't want to go back and change it. 

3 hours ago, hoosiers said:

That would definitely be "creative" taking Conlon and his bud perhaps in a package deal.  I thought about that possibility about five minutes after my post, but didn't want to go back and change it. 

Not a bad deal.  You see this all the time in recruiting.  This organization desperately needs more upside.  So if that means taking a guy's buddy too high then what's the harm?

On 6/16/2017 at 9:22 AM, Otter said:

Definitely possible.  If so, I like it, so long as Conlon is worth it.   

Is this official yet?  Starting to feel deja vu with the Hughes pick a couple of years ago.

I suspect the negotiations with Hall went about as well as could be expected .... and there now exists the possibility to sign some quality prospects taken after round 10.  We may be asking Conlon to wait before signing because we don't know if we need him to take less than slot to sign other kids (which maybe he is not inclined to do) or if we expect to have something left over after signing the other kids to offer Conlon more. 

I assume the Os are looking at multiple combinations of prospects to sign - perhaps even a scenario where we pull any overslot offer to Conlon - or simply stick with a slot offer when he wants more.

An interesting, perhaps remote, possibility exists where Conlon is asking for significantly more than slot (certainly a number we knew prior to the draft - unless Conlon has changed his number) creating the possibility of the Os deciding to spend their overslot $ on one or more prospects taken after round 10 instead of Conlon. 

I take the delay as a positive in most scenarios that we will end up with more talent than expected because of the Hall negotiations.

• Upvote 1

On 7/4/2017 at 1:06 PM, hoosiers said:

I suspect the negotiations with Hall went about as well as could be expected .... and there now exists the possibility to sign some quality prospects taken after round 10.  We may be asking Conlon to wait before signing because we don't know if we need him to take less than slot to sign other kids (which maybe he is not inclined to do) or if we expect to have something left over after signing the other kids to offer Conlon more. 

I assume the Os are looking at multiple combinations of prospects to sign - perhaps even a scenario where we pull any overslot offer to Conlon - or simply stick with a slot offer when he wants more.

An interesting, perhaps remote, possibility exists where Conlon is asking for significantly more than slot (certainly a number we knew prior to the draft - unless Conlon has changed his number) creating the possibility of the Os deciding to spend their overslot $ on one or more prospects taken after round 10 instead of Conlon. 

I take the delay as a positive in most scenarios that we will end up with more talent than expected because of the Hall negotiations.

MASN Steve says it is Conlon and done. 

16 minutes ago, weams said:

MASN Steve says it is Conlon and done. 

Jim Callis disagrees.

It also looks doubtful that fourth-rounder Jack Conlon will sign with the Orioles. A fourth-rounder from Clements High (Sugar Land, Texas), he displays a 92-95 mph fastball and a sharp 81-84 mph slider when he's at his best. If he doesn't turn pro, he'll attend Texas A&M.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/240669238/draft-signings-update/?topicid=151437456

We can offer him like near 1 million right?  He'd have to go to school and be a top 2 round pick to get that much again.  Anyway it's looking like this is our draft if we sign him, and that's ideal.  

I like Conlon's profile a lot and, if he takes up the remaining pool, that's what it takes.  Adding two quality HS pitchers into our system would be nice.  Still, we should have back-up plans in place in case this doesn't get done with guys like Jones and we'll get the 5th round pick back next year. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I like Conlon's profile a lot and, if he takes up the remaining pool, that's what it takes.  Adding two quality HS pitchers into our system would be nice.  Still, we should have back-up plans in place in case this doesn't get done with guys like Jones and we'll get the 5th round pick back next year. 

If they do not sign Conlon, they do not get a comp pick next year. They get nothing.

1 minute ago, jcarm said:

If they do not sign Conlon, they do not get a comp pick next year. They get nothing.

I appreciate the correction.  I thought all picks in the first 10 rounds were protected.  My bad.