Sign in to follow this  
Roy Firestone

very quietly, we picked up two games on the Yankees

Do I think we are contenders? No.

Just way too many pitching problems and a ton of injuries to go with the poor situational hitters.

But we DID pick up 2 games on the Yankees this weekend.

Very quietly the Yankees are playing poor baseball on the West Coast. They lost again to the A's today leaving us 4 1/2 games out.

Impossible to come back? Of course not.

I just don't see it...but maybe we can make this season interesting.

The AL East is all "mediocre" this year. The Yankees are coming down to earth big time. They were playing way over their heads.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Do I think we are contenders? No.

Just way too many pitching problems and a ton of injuries to go with the poor situational hitters.

Very quietly the Yankees are playing poor baseball on the West Coast. They lost again to the A's today leaving us 4 1/2 games out.

Impossible to come back? Of course not.

I just don't see it...but maybe we can make this season interesting.

The Yankees are falling like a led ballon. Hope it keeps up for them. I am glad the O's are playing better ball but the downside is that DD will buy instead of selling. 

10 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

The AL East is all "mediocre" this year. The Yankees are coming down to earth big time. They were playing way over their heads.

The AL East has the best record in baseball. 

Just now, vab said:

The AL East has the best record in baseball. 

That's usually the case almost every year. The AL East has been subpar this year by its standards. 

18 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

o

The Orioles have actually picked up 3 games on the Yankees since they beat the White Sox on Wednesday. They've gone from 7 and-a-half back to 4 and-a-half back in less than a week.

I think the Orioles have a long way to go to establish that they are out of the nightmarish downward spiral that they have been in lately, but I'm certainly going to maximize the small enjoyments that I can get in this very trying time as an Oriole fan

o

The NYY actually have followed the Orioles blueprint: best home record in MLB (O's are 2nd) and a bunch of games below .500 on the road. Just not as many as the O's.

40 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

The Os are exactly 1 game out of the second wild card...how exactly are they out of anything? 

Depends how you project this roster.  Starting pitching is taking a dead cat bounce but I have to think the hitting is due to improve.  The rotation is incredibly weak and unfortunately we have absolutely no depth this year.

For some perspective:  The worst team in the AL is 4.5 games out of the second Wild Card. 

The shear number of teams in it combined with our obvious shortcomings is where my pessimism comes from.  We could go 25-15 over our next 40 and it would change my tune, but I'm not expecting it.  A lot of tough games coming out of the break.  

55 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

Depends how you project this roster.  Starting pitching is taking a dead cat bounce but I have to think the hitting is due to improve.  The rotation is incredibly weak and unfortunately we have absolutely no depth this year.

All true..but it is also hard to see Tillman, Gausman, even Ubaldo all being as god awful the rest of the season as they have been thus far..if they are even marginally better and we will move up some...not to mention getting Britton and Oday back. 

16 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

All true..but it is also hard to see Tillman, Gausman, even Ubaldo all being as god awful the rest of the season as they have been thus far..if they are even marginally better and we will move up some...not to mention getting Britton and Oday back. 

Ubaldo has actually pitched better than either Gausman or  Tillman. So there's more reason than not to be skeptical.

For those of us in Camp Fire Sale, this thread is really depressing.  Also completely ironic since Roy was our one of our founders years ago. ;)