Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Prospect Power Rankings 6/27

8 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Sedlock isn't in AAA. 

Also, keep an eye out on LHP Alex Katz in Frederick. Decent fastball, very good breaking ball and very adept at strikeouts and ground balls.

Cut and paste error.

Good read.

I am surprised to see Jomar Reyes all the way down at 25. What has really changed between now and two years ago when he was ranked within our top 5?

Obviously there are maturity/position questions but he is still one of the youngest players in the Carolina League and was having his way with the pitching before getting injured. Offensive upside seems significant. 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Good read.

I am surprised to see Jomar Reyes all the way down at 25. What has really changed between now and two years ago when he was ranked within our top 5?

Obviously there are maturity/position questions but he is still one of the youngest players in the Carolina League and was having his way with the pitching before getting injured. Offensive upside seems significant. 

I think this list is more of a "hot sheet" than a fixed ranking.    I could've sworn that about two weeks ago someone asked Tony if he was going to do a mid-season top prospects list and he said no, because it's too easy to get too caught up in whatever has happened most recently.    So this is kind of a compromise.   

Of course, that logic doesn't explain why Hunter Harvey is on the list.  

Position players don't look nearly so bad all of a sudden. Hays, Mountcastle, and Mullins could have some real potential. 

I was skeptical of Tanner Scott as a starter but that would be a huge boost to the organization if he could get the walks down as he matures. 

18 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Adam Hall is included because he signed, I guess. Assuming DL signs, I guess he's #3-4?

If DL signs he probably goes to #3 based off potential.

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Good read.

I haven't been a big Reyes guy since last year when he failed to make any real adjustments. As for this year, he was hitting for average but little power and he's a guy that needs to hit for power to have value. He could be a riser if he can come back and hit well, but there are a lot of holes in his game.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Position players don't look nearly so bad all of a sudden. Hays, Mountcastle, and Mullins could have some real potential. 

I was skeptical of Tanner Scott as a starter but that would be a huge boost to the organization if he could get the walks down as he matures. 

I never got the idea that they were grooming him to be a starter.  I thought they just wanted him to get in a routine and not have to come in the game with runners on base.  I could be wrong.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think this list is more of a "hot sheet" than a fixed ranking.    I could've sworn that about two weeks ago someone asked Tony if he was going to do a mid-season top prospects list and he said no, because it's too easy to get too caught up in whatever has happened most recently.    So this is kind of a compromise.   

Of course, that logic doesn't explain why Hunter Harvey is on the list.  

It's a little of both. Basically, the list is my top 30 prospects at the given time but without all the research and final analysis as well as the discussions with scouts and system personnel that goes into the final list. Think of this is a working list and something that should give folks a general idea of who is on the radar, who's doing well and not so well.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I never got the idea that they were grooming him to be a starter.  I thought they just wanted him to get in a routine and not have to come in the game with runners on base.  I could be wrong.  

You are right. Starting him and pitching three innings was just a way to get him to use all of his pitches and put him on a regular schedule. I don't think anyone thinks he has the control to be a starter.