Sign in to follow this  
coe76

Garabez Rosa

I have watched the stats on this kid for three years and have been dumbfounded by the lack of attention he has gotten both online and seemingly by the O's brass.  What seems to be the issue with him?  He has played multiple positions this year and has hit well.  Flaherty cannot hit his IQ so I would hope the O's would look at a reasonable utility alternative.  Any insight is appreciated.

1 hour ago, coe76 said:

I have watched the stats on this kid for three years and have been dumbfounded by the lack of attention he has gotten both online and seemingly by the O's brass.  What seems to be the issue with him?  He has played multiple positions this year and has hit well.  Flaherty cannot hit his IQ so I would hope the O's would look at a reasonable utility alternative.  Any insight is appreciated.

His stats are honestly kind of deceptive. He always hits for a good average but he almost never walks, and has very little power.

This is his best minor league season so far, he is hitting 16% above league average (using wRC, a stat that captures overall offensive contributions relative to league average).  16% above league average is good, but there are other things to consider. First, he is 27+ years old, one of the oldest players in the league. Secondly, this his fifth season in AA (only one of the other four was above average at +3%, the other three were -19%,-5%, and -21%). Third, since you made the comparison to Flaherty, the last time Flaherty played at the AA level was in 2011 (as a 24 year old) and he hit 43% above league average. 

Basically there is a lot more than batting average to consider, age is extremely important when evaluating a player, and level of competition is also very important.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, coe76 said:

He's 27-years-old and has a .673 career OPS in the minors. In 3800 at bats. A career .291 OBP. He's had not even 100 at bats above AA, and he's look awful in them. The guy is a non-prospect. Organizational filler. I'm stunned the Orioles keep giving him a job, even in Bowie. He's had 9 years to make it. He's failed.

11 hours ago, coe76 said:

Pretty sure Flaherty hits his weight.

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

He's 27-years-old and has a .673 career OPS in the minors. In 3800 at bats. A career .291 OBP. He's had not even 100 at bats above AA, and he's look awful in them. The guy is a non-prospect. Organizational filler. I'm stunned the Orioles keep giving him a job, even in Bowie. He's had 9 years to make it. He's failed.

Those last 2 sentences weren't necessary.  While he's not a prospect, he's a useful organization player who can fill in at several positions and does a solid job offensively.  Just because he's not a prospect doesn't mean he's not useful.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Those last 2 sentences weren't necessary.  While he's not a prospect, he's a useful organization player who can fill in at several positions and does a solid job offensively.  Just because he's not a prospect doesn't mean he's not useful.  

That he's the starting second baseman on our AA squad is a testament to how barren this organization's cupboards are. 

2 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

That he's the starting second baseman on our AA squad is a testament to how barren this organization's cupboards are. 

He's not. He fills in at 1st, 3rd, and outfield.

Not every position at every level will have a future major leaguer. Rosa goes out, does what is asked of him, and keeps it moving. By all accounts, he is a very good person and teammate, something that can keep you around in the minors even if your skills should point elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, coe76 said:

Given that his career average is .216, this would make him easily one of the five smartest recorded people of all time. Just sayin.

2 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Your criticisms are off base.  You don't seem to understand that not every minor leaguer is there to be a prospect for their major league teams.  It's probably less than half.  Rosa does what he's asked to do and is useful in doing so.    

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Your criticisms are off base.  You don't seem to understand that not every minor leaguer is there to be a prospect for their major league teams.  It's probably less than half.  Rosa does what he's asked to do and is useful in doing so.    

I'm not criticizing Garabez Rosa. I'm stating fact. I know nothing about Garabez Rosa the person. I'm not criticizing Garabez Rosa the person.

The original poster asked why no one is paying attention to Garabez Rosa the baseball player. I answered.

7 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

I'm not criticizing Garabez Rosa. I'm stating fact. I know nothing about Garabez Rosa the person. I'm not criticizing Garabez Rosa the person.

The original poster asked why no one is paying attention to Garabez Rosa the baseball player. I answered.

You did with your last 3 sentences. 

Must be tough watching someone play a game they enjoy and get paid doing it, while they smile and be a team player while also knowing they will almost never get a chance to play in the Majors.

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

You did with your last 3 sentences. 

Must be tough watching someone play a game they enjoy and get paid doing it, while they smile and be a team player while also knowing they will almost never get a chance to play in the Majors.

Sure, the first sentence was editorializing on my part. Which is fair, since this is a message board. The second two remain fact.

At least we're giving him a chance to play a bunch of positions. We've kept AAA as the taxi squad under DD. He's not better than Janish and this year we had Giovetella. He's valuable to Bowie and they are the one full season affiliate with a shot at the playoffs. That means a little.