Sign in to follow this  
Reboulet'sStache

2017-2018 College Football Predictions

3 hours ago, Reboulet'sStache said:

Kelly to UCLA. 
I really think this screws UF.  They went all in with Kelly, probably too late to circle back around with Frost if reports of Frost and Nebraska talking for a while now are true.  Tenn appears to be narrowing in on Mullen.  Maybe UF goes after Willie Taggert?  Charlie Strong? 

Charlie Strong would be my pick. He knows the state very well.

Bama goes down. This is no upset. A lot of people picked Auburn. I think this was Bama's first game vs a top ten team. Still there is a ton of Bama love out there. They still may get in.

50 minutes ago, mrbig1 said:

Charlie Strong would be my pick. He knows the state very well.

He's just such an average to below average coach and CEO of a program.  Recruiting is the most important thing, and Strong kills it in recruiting.  But he just sets fire to the recruiting classes he gets.  And UF fans would riot over Strong.

4 hours ago, Reboulet'sStache said:

He's just such an average to below average coach and CEO of a program.  Recruiting is the most important thing, and Strong kills it in recruiting.  But he just sets fire to the recruiting classes he gets.  And UF fans would riot over Strong.

He did very well at Louisville.

11 hours ago, mrbig1 said:

He did very well at Louisville.

Because he was such a good recruiter, and a southern team in what was primarily a northern centric Big East. 
Strong took advantage of his ties to South Florida to bring in that next tier level of recruits from the area into the Big East.  He then took advantage of Miami firing Randy Shannon to land some top tier South Florida recruits (Teddy Bridgewater being the primary example of somebody that decommitted during that recruiting season to jump on board at Lousville). 

But when you look at the advanced metrics, Lville wasn't actually that good of a team under him.  They just had a very easy schedule.

o

4-7 Pittsburgh's upset over 10-0 Miami, Fla yesterday was reminiscent of Oklahoma State's upset win over Oklahoma in the final game of the 2001 season.

Immediately prior to that game 16 years ago, Oklahoma was 9-1 and the #3 team in the country, and Oklahoma State was 3-7. 

o

Mullen to UF.  Gators put all their chips in the Kelly basket and lost.  Sucks, but would have been a program changing hire had it worked.

I like Mullen.  Doesn't have much of a recruiting reputation, but won't need it as much at UF.  UF as a program guarantees you a top 15 class.  If Mullen hires some recruiters, he can get that into the Top 10.  He's always played SEC teams tough with 2* and 3* talent.  With 4* talent he should do well.

If I'm Miss. State, I'm going after a Southern connected, offensive minded coach.  Norvell at Memphis seems like a good hire.  I would also think about giving Lane Kiffin a call.  He's worked a miracle at FAU.  Still young.  Elite recruiter, which is needed at a place like Starkville, Miss., and an elite offensive mind.

Rumor has it that Volunteers were close to hiring Schiano but the fans and big donors went into open revolt against the hire, and now they have backed off.   Ugly situation that may wind up costing the AD his job.

And there are Jimbo Fisher to Texas A&M rumors rumbling...

Looks like Frost to Nebraska is official. 
Really  good hire for them.   That's a really tough job because it's extremely difficult to recruit at an elite level since the school has no legit high school football players anywhere close to it.  And Frost doesn't have a recruiting reputation, so it remains to be seen how that aspect will work out. 
But Nebraska has the kind of money where they should be the one eyed man in the horrible Big Ten West land of the blind.  They aren't going to recruit at a level to be a national power, but they should recruit at a level better than the rest of the Big Ten West.  With a legit coach, that should mean penciling themselves into the Big Ten Title game every year.
Basically they should be Wisconsin.  A team that doesn't recruit great, and generally loses to the teams that recruit above them, but play so few of those teams, that they win 10+ games every year with their minimal talent.

On 11/26/2017 at 7:07 PM, SteveA said:

Rumor has it that Volunteers were close to hiring Schiano but the fans and big donors went into open revolt against the hire, and now they have backed off.   Ugly situation that may wind up costing the AD his job.

And there are Jimbo Fisher to Texas A&M rumors rumbling...

Done deal.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.com/college-football/2017/12/01/jimbo-fisher-texas-am-coach-contract-florida-state

On 7/19/2017 at 4:14 PM, Reboulet'sStache said:

With the fall camp about to get underway soon, I figured I'd try to get a discussion going on the upcoming season.  What are you predictions for conference championship games, champions, the playoffs, and national champion? 
I got:

ACC:

Coastal - Miami   Atlantic:  Clemson

Winner: Clemson

SEC:

East: Georgia West: Alabama
Winner: Alabama

Big Ten:

East: Ohio State West:  Wisconsin

Winner: Ohio State

PAC 12:

South: USC North: Washington

Winner: USC

Big 12:

Oklahoma v. Texas

Winner: Oklahoma

G5: South Florida

I got Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, and USC in the playoffs.  With Alabama beating Ohio State. 

Well I did hit with a lot of these, including the mocked Miami pick.  Most of them were chalk though.  Although most people had FSU being the class of the ACC, and not only did I have Clemson winning the ACC, I had them in the playoffs, and they came through for me.  So I'm proud of that pick.

o

Auburn beat TWO playoff teams going away this season (Georgia by a score of 40-17, and Alabama by a score of 26-14.)

Subsequently, the undefeated Knights had a very tough task in their second-ever upper-tier bowl game.

They took on the challenge, and proceeded to complete their undefeated season with a big win over the highly-regarded Tigers.

2015: ... 0-12

2017: llll 13-0

1 minute ago, OFFNY said:

o

Auburn beat TWO playoff teams going away this season (Georgia by a score of 40-17, and Alabama by a score of 26-14.)

Subsequently, the undefeated Knights had a very tough task in their second-ever upper-tier bowl game.

They took on the challenge, and proceeded to complete their undefeated season with a big win over the highly-regarded Tigers.

2015: ... 0-12

2017: llll 13-0

o

o

UCF to Celebrate Perfect Season with National Championship Banner

(By Andrea Adelson)

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21951014/ucf-knights-raise-national-championship-banner

o