Frobby

Should JJ Hardy get his starting job back once he's healthy?

A while ago I was really down on Ruben Tejada based on a few boneheaded fielding plays he made, but he has played reasonably well for the last couple of weeks.    Overall, he's hitting .250/.306/.310, and has been worth 0.0 rWAR.     JJ Hardy, by comparison, is hitting .211/.248/.308 and has been worth -0.6 rWAR.

I think we all know what Buck will do, but aside from that, would you put Hardy back in the starting lineup when he's healthy?

As an aside, assuming he stays on our roster the rest of the year, Tejada will be a free agent at the end of the season.   He only needs another 32 days of service time to reach free agency.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A while ago I was really down on Ruben Tejada based on a few boneheaded fielding plays he made, but he has played reasonably well for the last couple of weeks.    Overall, he's hitting .250/.306/.310, and has been worth 0.0 rWAR.     JJ Hardy, by comparison, is hitting .211/.248/.308 and has been worth -0.6 rWAR.

I think we all know what Buck will do, but aside from that, would you put Hardy back in the starting lineup when he's healthy?

As an aside, assuming he stays on our roster the rest of the year, Tejada will be a free agent at the end of the season.   He only needs another 32 days of service time to reach free agency.

That's a hard question but I lean toward Hardy. The season is basically over. 

I think Hardy gets the job back when he returns. Should he, probably not, but it's not like there is anyone that's a major upgrade over him on the roster. Hopefully the position can be upgraded in the off season, and not Hardy returning on a cheap deal.

Tejada had a bad June and a good July.  Who knows what August holds?    Hardy is not projected to be until the third or fourth week of August.  Its too early to say what will happen.  We need to see more of Tejada.

Both Tejada and Hardy will be FA,  I would not be surprised to see both of them back with the O's next year.   Hardy is more likely to make 3m than 14m.   Tejada may not have anyone that likes him was much as Buck if he plays well for the rest of the season.

10 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I wonder about Zack Cozart if he doesn't stay in Cincy. Would love to have him here. 

Because signing 32 year old middle infielders is such a great idea?

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

Because signing 32 year old middle infielders is such a great idea?

OPS .971 and he's great a defense. I'd take him. Better hitter than Hardy ever was, and he's a lefty OBP bat. Imagine him and sisco at the 1 and 2 spots. 

Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

OPS .971 and he's great a defense. I'd take him. Better hitter than Hardy ever was, and he's a lefty OBP bat. Imagine him and sisco at the 1 and 2 spots. 

I think we're getting off track. The question is whether you would give Hardy back his starting job this season. Next season is a different story.

Just now, PaulFolk said:

I think we're getting off track. The question is whether you would give Hardy back his starting job this season. Next season is a different story.

This season? Sure, because they practically are the same player. 

I'd play Hardy. He's at least as good as Tejada probably a better glove, and he's a team leader. And it does't matter anyway.