Frobby

Should JJ Hardy get his starting job back once he's healthy?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Schoop should get three more starts.

I haven't thought this through, but I think if your infield positioning resembles an impressionist painting it should give you more flexibility to mix and match infield skills around the diamond. If you can find a cheap, decent second baseman (cheap because folks think he is not a shortstop), play Schoop at short, Manny at 3rd, JJ as backup. We are good to go.

Of course you start Hardy over Tejada once he's healthy.  Tejada is a nondescript journeyman, Hardy a long-time solid performer.  In a lost season you give the reps to the team vet over the random body when neither is going to be here in a few years.  If Tejada was 22 or something maybe the argument would be different.

• Upvote 1

I don't know does getting a few more games out of Hardy make his contract more or less ridiculous?

If I was the GM who had signed off on it, I might not want to be reminded of what a blunder it was.

I think you give Hardy his job back for the same reason that you keep Tillman in the rotation the rest of the season even if he's not pitching well.  He's been a cornerstone of the O's resurgence, and he is probably nearing the end of his time here; letting him play out the rest of the season and allowing fans to thank him is the classy thing to do. 

• Upvote 1

Like is anyone seriously concerned about Tejada vs Hardy at SS for the remaining 40% of the season? Is that a thing people think about for more than 30 seconds?

Pitching, folks. The pitching staff is broken, from scouting to minor league development to major league execution. That is the beginning and end of the problem, and a few tenths of WAR here or there at SS during a losing season is utterly irrelevant. 

Just now, TouchemAll said:

AAhh I don't think it matter what we think. If I was a betting man I would feel very safe betting once he's heathly Buck starts him.

Right. The question should really be "Is Buck the manager?" The answer is "Yes". 

I think Hardy's near the end of his career, but of course you take him over Tejada - who's a borderline major leaguer.    

10 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

So, is it too soon.... to talk about the pros and cons of signing Zach Cozart in the offseason?

Well the last couple of times they signed a middle infielder over the age of 30 to a long term deal it's worked out swell.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well the last couple of times they signed a middle infielder over the age of 30 to a long term deal it's worked out swell.

But to offset that, isn't it always best to sign a player coming off his career year?