Frobby

Should JJ Hardy get his starting job back once he's healthy?

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And you are certain he would have a .556 OPS when he comes back?   He hit .716 last year.   Maybe rest and getting healthy will do him some good.

Never can be certain in this game.  But JJ is likely near the end of the road imho.  Was he injured and not rested when he put up the .556 OPS this year?  I thought the primary injury was the wrist when he was hit by the pitch on Father's day but also apparently had a rib fracture from a collision the week prior....  I hope he comes back like a semblance of old, but it might be a hard call if we are making a surge and Beckham is hot.   It will be an easy call if Beckham is merely adequate or sucks. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I doubt either way Buck is going to let Beckham rot on the bench.  

When JJ gets in the lineup, he won't be sitting much, if any, unless hurt  again.  Schoop and Manny sure won't be sitting. 

Just now, tntoriole said:

When JJ gets in the lineup, he won't be sitting much, if any, unless hurt  again.  Schoop and Manny sure won't be sitting. 

JJ does not have to play 7 games a week. I think they will find a way to make it work where Beckham doesn't rot. We shall see. 

37 minutes ago, AZRon said:

You labeled your quoted stats as "Rtot", but the stats that you quoted appear to be Rtot/yr

Rtot/yr represents fielding runs above average over 1200 innings (per BB-Ref)

Beckham has played 600 innings this year at shortstop with a Rtot/yr of -7

Hardy has played 546 innings at shortstop with a Rtot/yr of 8

The earliest that Hardy can return is August 18th; if JJ were to play shortstop for 9 innings for all of the remaining regular season games at this year's fielding effectiveness to date, he would contribute 2.4 Rtot.  Again, at this year's rate of production, he would contribute an overall WAR of -0.6

The expected numbers for Beckham over those last 60 games are -2.1 Rtot and a WAR of .5

So, over the last 60 games, the differential is +4.5 fielding runs for Hardy and +1.1 WAR for Beckham

Hardy is the much better glove. That's what is most importan IMO

Hardy and Flaherty will likely both be back before the end of the month, which means we will get a chance to see how Tiny Tim Beckham reacts when he's optioned to Norfolk for a couple of weeks.

14 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Hardy and Flaherty will likely both be back before the end of the month, which means we will get a chance to see how Tiny Tim Beckham reacts when he's optioned to Norfolk for a couple of weeks.

They will not have to do that nor should they. Gentry would be the odd man out not Beckham. 

Thats why I hope we don't start Hardy if he comes back. This guy is our SS of the future, let him play and keep the job instead of pissing him off a month into his time on the team by benching him for a guy batting .550 OPS and the managers favorite. Thats not a good way to start his time here (and not best for the team right now since he's a better player then Hardy is at this point in time) so I really hope Bucks loyalty to Hardy doesn't screw things up right away

We just got him why the heck would we add him to sit him. If he's already got that in the back of his head it could make him press. I hope we've told JJ & Beck that beck is the starter.

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

They will not have to do that nor should they. Gentry would be the odd man out not Beckham. 

That would make Trumbo the fourth outfielder. No thank you.

16 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Hardy is the much better glove. That's what is most importan IMO

It depends how much better his glove is, and how much better Beckham's bat is.    It's not as simple as glove > bat just because they're shortstops.    

I'm sure Hardy will get his job back, and I hope he hits much better than .556 OPS when he returns.   His bat was showing minor signs of life (.838 OPS over 7 games) immediately before he got hurt.   For the record, if Hardy continues at a .556 pace, I do not think his glove justifies being played over Beckham.   

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

Smith, Jones, Mancini, Rickard.

And, Santander will need to be added.  He will replace Gentry's spot, not Hardy.

Not sure what they're going do when Hardy and Flaherty are ready to come back, they can't keep all of them.

Just now, glenn__davis said:

And, Santander will need to be added.  He will replace Gentry's spot, not Hardy.

Not sure what they're going do when Hardy and Flaherty are ready to come back, they can't keep all of them.

Exactly, assuming Trumbo's back is not worse than first thought.

Hardy and Santander are expected back on the 18th.  Does Flaherty need to come back?  Can he be sent down?

15 hours ago, AlbionHero said:

Thats why I hope we don't start Hardy if he comes back. This guy is our SS of the future, let him play and keep the job instead of pissing him off a month into his time on the team by benching him for a guy batting .550 OPS and the managers favorite. Thats not a good way to start his time here (and not best for the team right now since he's a better player then Hardy is at this point in time) so I really hope Bucks loyalty to Hardy doesn't screw things up right away

I hope not... Beckham has proven he is not a ML starter. I have no idea why DD traded for him except he seems to be drawn to washed out former first round picks like a moth to a candle.