Frobby

Should JJ Hardy get his starting job back once he's healthy?

Just now, VeveJones007 said:

This is exactly why Beckham should get the majority of playing time: evaluation.

Yes until Hardy is back. But he has to show a lot with the glove IMO.

5 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Yes until Hardy is back. But he has to show a lot with the glove IMO.

The benefit of further evaluation of Beckham over the last 5 weeks of the season >> trotting Hardy out there. Bear in mind that I'm assuming the O's are basically out of the playoff picture. If they're within 2-4 games, it's a tougher decision.

20 minutes ago, VeveJones007 said:

The benefit of further evaluation of Beckham over the last 5 weeks of the season >> trotting Hardy out there. Bear in mind that I'm assuming the O's are basically out of the playoff picture. If they're within 2-4 games, it's a tougher decision.

I am not assuming that. If we are well out of it of course you play Backham more.

3 minutes ago, VeveJones007 said:

This is a tough call.   Hardy has been our shortstop for 7 years.   He's been a team leader and an excellent player for most of that time.    Are you really going to bench him in the last month of his tenure?     

We'll get a good look at Beckham over the next 17 days.    Hardy's eligible to come off the 60-day DL then, but who knows if he'll actually be ready.     I think by then we'll have a decent picture of Beckham, though not as complete a picture as if he started every game through the end of the year.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is a tough call.   Hardy has been our shortstop for 7 years.   He's been a team leader and an excellent player for most of that time.    Are you really going to bench him in the last month of his tenure?     

We'll get a good look at Beckham over the next 17 days.    Hardy's eligible to come off the 60-day DL then, but who knows if he'll actually be ready.     I think by then we'll have a decent picture of Beckham, though not as complete a picture as if he started every game through the end of the year.

Hardy' been good for the most part, but he's not exactly Jeter. If Beckham is playing good, you play the young guy. 

1 minute ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Hardy' been good for the most part, but he's not exactly Jeter. If Beckham is playing good, you play the young guy. 

This, and not even if he's just playing really well. The whole point of September call ups and such is to evaluate your young players. If we're out of it by September, which we most likely will be, there is no reason to be playing the old guy who isn't coming back instead of our new young SS to see if he is good enough to be our starter next year. Sucks for Hardy but its probably best at this point if he's played his last game in an Orioles uniform since we've already moved on and picked up his replacement, and if he gets healthy enough to play it'll just cause hurt feelings and possible issues with Beckham.

12 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Your kidding right? Hardy has always been a better defender than Jeter. From 2005 to 2014 when Hardy and Jeter were both playing Hardy was rated by FG as the best defensive SS and Jeter # 70 out of 73

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He's been a good solid dependable player.  I wouldn't call him a leader.  I don't think you give him any special treatment with playing time.  If other ways of honoring are used, that's great, but playing time should be strictly what's best for the organization, imo.    

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

He's been a good solid dependable player.  I wouldn't call him a leader.  I don't think you give him any special treatment with playing time.  If other ways of honoring are used, that's great, but playing time should be strictly what's best for the organization, imo.    

1.   I would call him a leader.   He's the undisputed leader of the infield and Schoop and Manny have learned a lot from playing with him.   

2.   I agree you do what's best for the organization.    Sometimes, what's best for an organization is to show a modicum of loyalty to a long time key employee, because it builds morale and loyalty with the other employees.    If Beckham were some great player, then that would override the loyalty factor.    But if it's debatable whether he's an upgrade, then the loyalty factor comes heavily into play.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

1.   I would call him a leader.   He's the undisputed leader of the infield and Schoop and Manny have learned a lot from playing with him.   

2.   I agree you do what's best for the organization.    Sometimes, what's best for an organization is to show a modicum of loyalty to a long time key employee, because it builds morale and loyalty with the other employees.    If Beckham were some great player, then that would override the loyalty factor.    But if it's debatable whether he's an upgrade, then the loyalty factor comes heavily into play.   

You do that for really good to great players or players who have been the face of the franchise.  IMO, JJ hasn't come up to that level.  Objectively, he's a bad player, and Beckham only has to be an average player to be significantly better.  Now, if Beckham does play poorly in the next 2 weeks, then it might make sense to play JJ.  I'm hoping that doesn't happen.  And I think the team wants the better player to play - especially when they believe they're in a race for the playoffs.      

32 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Your kidding right? Hardy has always been a better defender than Jeter. From 2005 to 2014 when Hardy and Jeter were both playing Hardy was rated by FG as the best defensive SS and Jeter # 70 out of 73

I'm pretty sure he's talking about how some of you are treating Hardy like a living legend that we couldn't possibly think of benching when he's at the end of his career even if there are better options. No, Hardy has been a solid guy whos been on the team for a while when he's not part of the teams future plans we have to move on from him.

29 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Lol...Stop it. Actually, I was referring to the notion that we should play JJ just for sentimental reasons. Maybe Cal would have been a better comparison. What I'm saying is, JJ wasn't THAT important to the franchise like Jeter or Cal was. He shouldn't get that type of treatment in his final days.

• Upvote 1

On 7/27/2017 at 7:11 PM, mdbdotcom said:

Because signing 32 year old middle infielders is such a great idea?

I could be wrong, but I don't think Cozart is going to break the bank. He's been hurt two out of the last three years and this is really his breakout offensive year and it's come at 32. Saying all that, it appears Duquette believes Beckam is his future SS.

32 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Lol...Stop it. Actually, I was referring to the notion that we should play JJ just for sentimental reasons. Maybe Cal would have been a better comparison. What I'm saying is, JJ wasn't THAT important to the franchise like Jeter or Cal was. He shouldn't get that type of treatment in his final days.

Then just cut him.  DFA the bum.  ;)

There are definitely going to be some awkward moments in the clubhouse. Tough call for Buck. DD could try to make the decision himself and DFA Hardy, but he might end up with another Kim situation.