Frobby

Should JJ Hardy get his starting job back once he's healthy?

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

There are definitely going to be some awkward moments in the clubhouse. Tough call for Buck. DD could try to make the decision himself and DFA Hardy, but he might end up with another Kim situation.

I was under the impression that if he gets DFA'd his option vests.

Beckham has been better than Hardy since the beginning of 2016. So it'd be a bad move to play Hardy from a competitive standpoint and from a strategy/evaluation standpoint.  If we manage to claw ourselves back into the race for the playoffs and we start Hardy, I think it's almost akin to not pitching Britton last year as bad managing.

Edit: I was mistaken Hardy was better a little better in 2016. In 2015 Hardy was quite bad, that's what I was remembering.

44 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Lol...Stop it. Actually, I was referring to the notion that we should play JJ just for sentimental reasons. Maybe Cal would have been a better comparison. What I'm saying is, JJ wasn't THAT important to the franchise like Jeter or Cal was. He shouldn't get that type of treatment in his final days.

I'm not advocating Hardy for sentiment. I think he is still a solid defender and he is the leader of the IF. Beckha,m will probably hitbetter but I think his glove is susp-ect At SS I am more concerned about defense. Especially when our suspect SP depends on it so.

14 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

No, no , no and more no. 

But Buck's "veteran privilege" might win out. Which would absolutely disgust me.

In all honesty, if he throws JJ back in there, it will be total verification of what has been said about him all along, that he is too stubborn for his own good.

JJ does NOT deserve his job back just because he is older. If anything, it's why he doesn't deserve his job back.

Buck has to show the ability to grow and understand this as a manager because if he benches Beckham for Hardy with zero years left on JJ's contract, it's proof to me that Buck will never be able to get it done. 

Pretty simple stuff.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Norfolk orioles said:

In all honesty, if he throws JJ back in there, it will be total verification of what has been said about him all along, that he is too stubborn for his own good.

JJ does NOT deserve his job back just because he is older. If anything, it's why he doesn't deserve his job back.

Buck has to show the ability to grow and understand this as a manager because if he benches Beckham for Hardy with zero years left of JJ's contract, it's proof to be Buck will never be able to get it done. 

Pretty simple stuff.

Agreed.

It's amazing, it's as if no one had seen a season of baseball before. How many times does a guy traded have a good few games before they regress to their mean. Lets hope Beckham comntinues but the odds are he's going to be a .720 OPS SS who makes a lot of errors and bad plays.

40 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

It's amazing, it's as if no one had seen a season of baseball before. How many times does a guy traded have a good few games before they regress to their mean. Lets hope Beckham comntinues but the odds are he's going to be a .720 OPS SS who makes a lot of errors and bad plays.

A warm body would be better than running Hardy out there at this point. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, TradeAngelos said:

A warm body would be better than running Hardy out there at this point. 

That's just stupid. 

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Agreed.    But if he stays pretty hot for two weeks, benching him while he's hot may not be the right move.   

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

I'd rather have an average defensive SS who hits .720 OPS and is fast than an above average defensive SS who hits .556 OPS and is the slowest skinny guy in baseball.

• Upvote 2

With the expectation that Flash and Hardy will be activated in the middle of the month (along with Trumbo and Santander), the O's might need to option Beckham to Norfolk until rosters expand. There's going to be quite a roster crunch.