Sign in to follow this  
SteveA

Hyun Soo Kim appreciation thread

First off, he seemed like a great guy.  He seemed to genuinely enjoy being in the majors and being an Oriole.

He had good at bats most of the time and had a skillset we don't have enough of.

From day 1, he got kind of a raw deal here, except when he got playing time due to the Rickard injury and - to me at least if not to the Os braintrust - really proved his worth.

I'll miss him and will be rooting for him in Philly.  I hope he does well and gets a nice contract somewhere in the off season.

• Upvote 3

One of the biggest black marks on Buck's tenure here. He hated him and didn't even hide it. Never gave him a chance to succeed. Made his life as hard as possible by parking him on the bench out of pure spite. Pretty much the opposite of what a MLB manager is supposed to do with his players.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

He definitely got a raw deal. I wish him luck in Philly. 

My opinion of Buck went way down due to his treatment of Kim. Kinda classless IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Bingotown said:

I loved Hyun. Never understood exactly why he didn't see more playing time. I'd love to get inside Buck's head. 

Blame Mancini. 

2 minutes ago, dadoublen said:

That was a real thrill (and a good call). I really enjoyed watching Kim bat last year. This year, not so much.

Earl would have found a useful role for Kim for as long as he was on the 25-man roster.

3 minutes ago, dadoublen said:

Amazing at bat fouling off some tough pitches and eventually hitting the clutch HR for the lead.  Despite his other limitations I'll miss Kim.

I think Buck is has become more detrimental to this more than any player could possibly be. Between McDowell and him they are driving this organization into the ground. IMO

• Downvote 1

I'm going to miss  Hyun. Last year, he was quite a hitting machine. This year,  Buck kept benching him. He never complained. Hopefully, he'll get his freedom in Philly.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• They will settle for no less than Rendon, Cole and Strasburg out of Cashman. Or maybe a trade for Lindor. 
    • I find Girardi annoying, but I think he was a good manager.    I think Boone has done a good job as well.    Those poor Yankee fans will have to live with 7 playoff appearances, 3 division titles and 4 ALCS appearances over the last decade.     And 27 straight winning seasons.   
    • All Roch said was, “I’d expect another catcher to join the organization, even if for depth purposes.“ I think it’s a foregone conclusion that we’ll add a catcher or two before spring training.    It doesn’t mean that whoever they acquire will slot above the players you named.    That will be sorted out in spring training.   
    • I feel like there were several seasons in the last decade where Girardi got more wins out of that team than he should have.  I can't remember which years, but there were a few.  I felt like he managed every game as if it was Game 7 of the WS, using Betances in every single medium to high leverage situation.  Even in spite of their payroll, there were a few years where the on-paper talent wasn't quite up to their normal standards....yet they still won a lot of games.  I think no matter who is managing, the Yankees will always have their fair share of players who outperform their norms simply by putting on that uniform.  This year was a little more pronounced, but we have seen other sports teams over the years have very high payrolls and still land under .500 because things just don't work out.  I think the 2012 Red Sox lost 90+ games and then won the WS the next year.  The Yankees never finish under .500, no matter what.  That is pretty impressive.
    • Everyone was a fan of Severino when he put up an 818 OPS in the first half.
    • The Surprise Saguaros clinched the AFL West title over the weekend.    It appears likely they’ll face the Salt River Rafters on Saturday for the League title.    If Kremer pitches today, he’ll be available to start the championship game, though I’m not sure he’d be chosen.    
    • Thankfully it's a fantasy baseball site. 
  • Popular Contributors