Jump to content
Riley Magee

Gray Fenter

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Last I checked, that would be moving him up.  

Seemed like you were saying they gotta move him up ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Seemed like you were saying they gotta move him up ASAP.

Generally speaking, if they have 23 year olds in the Sally League that they consider legitimate prospects, they should move them up at a relatively fast rate.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a lot of people have been ignoring Gray Fenter, but I watched an outing of his and I gotta say he's definitely on the prospect radar. I've seen him up to 95 MPH this year with an hammer 12-6 curveball. I think he'll throw harder in a relief role and could be a 96-97 guy with a hard curve. 

Over his last 12 starts since June 1st, batter have slashed .187/.279/.235/.514 off him and he has a 1.53 ERA, 60 Ks and 20 BBs over the 47 IP. His command is not always great, but he gets a ton of swing and miss on his fastball as well as the curve. He'll be 24 next year so the Orioles might want to consider making that switch to the pen and putting him on the fast track.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think a lot of people have been ignoring Gray Fenter, but I watched an outing of his and I gotta say he's definitely on the prospect radar. I've seen him up to 95 MPH this year with an hammer 12-6 curveball. I think he'll throw harder in a relief role and could be a 96-97 guy with a hard curve. 

Over his last 12 starts since June 1st, batter have slashed .187/.279/.235/.514 off him and he has a 1.53 ERA, 60 Ks and 20 BBs over the 47 IP. His command is not always great, but he gets a ton of swing and miss on his fastball as well as the curve. He'll be 24 next year so the Orioles might want to consider making that switch to the pen and putting him on the fast track.

They’ve been pretty careful with his innings.   As you noted, 47 IP over 12 outings, three of which were relief appearances of 3 - 3.1 innings and also three 3 inning starts.    In his last one, he was pulled despite throwing only 27 pitches in 3 innings.    But, they’ve also let him go 5 innings four times in that span.     I’m a little surprised he hasn’t been moved to Frederick.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should know this, but does he have an injury history? I'm guessing so just because of his age/level and innings limitations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I should know this, but does he have an injury history? I'm guessing so just because of his age/level and innings limitations.

Tommy John in 2016. Before this year it looked like he would be one of the 20 percent of pitchers who never really recover from it, but he is finally back to form this year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they’ll even skip him to Bowie considering his age and stuff if they put him in the pen. That could put him in like to potentially be up by 2021. Not sure how long before he has to be on the 40 man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WalkWithElias said:

Maybe they’ll even skip him to Bowie considering his age and stuff if they put him in the pen. That could put him in like to potentially be up by 2021. Not sure how long before he has to be on the 40 man. 

He is Rule 5 eligible this year. Presumably the Orioles will not add him to the 40 man roster and nobody will take him since he has never played above Delmarva. If he has success next season, he may well be added to the 40 man roster after next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This year was all about him getting through the season healthy. He started the season on the short side of a “piggyback” situation and is now a full fledged SP. We just have to see how he responds next year in Frederick. He would be a candidate for a mid season promotion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

He is Rule 5 eligible this year. Presumably the Orioles will not add him to the 40 man roster and nobody will take him since he has never played above Delmarva. If he has success next season, he may well be added to the 40 man roster after next year.

Hmmm. I think they add him. Actually, I have no idea what they'd do, but I'd certainly consider adding him. If I'm the Tigers, for example, I stash him on the ML roster in the bullpen and see if the arm plays. The cost is virtually nothing if you have to cut him and I'm sure they have some space (or several other teams).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Hmmm. I think they add him. Actually, I have no idea what they'd do, but I'd certainly consider adding him. If I'm the Tigers, for example, I stash him on the ML roster in the bullpen and see if the arm plays. The cost is virtually nothing if you have to cut him and I'm sure they have some space (or several other teams).

Stranger things have happened, and who knows how the 26-man roster impacts Rule 5 considerations, but he is short for me. Players have three options after being added to the 40-man roster and it is very unlikely he contributes at the MLB level prior to 2022, so he (and the team) lose some long term flexibility if he is added. I think there is enough guys ahead of him to risk it, if someone takes him and is able to carry him the whole season then so be it. 

I expect better teams will leave more interesting players that have had success at the high-A or AA level exposed and Fenter will not be under serious consideration to be picked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Hmmm. I think they add him. Actually, I have no idea what they'd do, but I'd certainly consider adding him. If I'm the Tigers, for example, I stash him on the ML roster in the bullpen and see if the arm plays. The cost is virtually nothing if you have to cut him and I'm sure they have some space (or several other teams).

I agree.   If his fastball and curve are that good he might  get claimed. Put him on the 40 man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Stranger things have happened, and who knows how the 26-man roster impacts Rule 5 considerations, but he is short for me. Players have  three options after being added to the 40-man roster and it is very unlikely he contributes at the MLB level prior to 2022, so he (and the team) lose some long term flexibility if he is added. I think there is enough guys ahead of him to risk it, if someone takes him and is able to carry him the whole season then so be it. 

2022? Really.  He could go through Frederick and Bowie next year  and  be in the majors sometime  in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Hmmm. I think they add him. Actually, I have no idea what they'd do, but I'd certainly consider adding him. If I'm the Tigers, for example, I stash him on the ML roster in the bullpen and see if the arm plays. The cost is virtually nothing if you have to cut him and I'm sure they have some space (or several other teams).

I don't think he gets selected. Teams are risk adverse, even when the stakes are as low as the Rule 5 draft. In order to take a guy in the low minors, teams need to see a significant potential reward. I don't think Fenter provides that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

2022? Really.  He could go through Frederick and Bowie next year  and  be in the majors sometime  in 2021.

He could reach the Majors in 2021 but I don't think he would really be a contributor until 2022, and that is best case scenario. I probably could have worded that better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...