Roy Firestone

We get Tim Beckham...and its a good pick up

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

If Manny does resign keep him at 3rd. What's the problem with keeping Manny at 3rd?  I'd rather have a league average SS and keep Manny at 3rd. 

Oh I am fine with that. I am just not sure Manny is. 

30 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm thrilled with how it's gone so far, but you really can't judge a trade after 7 days.    He was player of the week, so of course the trade looks good so far.    

I think any reasonable person knows he's going to cool off.

20 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

If Manny signs on the dotted line to stay.....he can play anywhere he damn well pleases far as I am concerned lol.

That's a problem I will be glad the team has to deal with cause it means Manny is sticking around :)

2 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I think any reasonable person knows he's going to cool off.

Obviously we all know that, but I still think there's a tendency to give his hot week undue weight.   I can think of a lot of players who made good impressions in their first week or even first month, who turned out to be complete washouts.    Of course, Beckham is a bona fide major leaguer, and won't be a complete washout, but it remains to be seen whether he'll be more highly regarded here than in Tampa in the long run.   I certainly hope we're just seeing the budding of a star player.   

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Obviously we all know that, but I still think there's a tendency to give his hot week undue weight.   I can think of a lot of players who made good impressions in their first week or even first month, who turned out to be complete washouts.    Of course, Beckham is a bona fide major leaguer, and won't be a complete washout, but it remains to be seen whether he'll be more highly regarded here than in Tampa in the long run.   I certainly hope we're just seeing the budding of a star player.   

Do you think there could be anything to the idea that if you take a guy who is talented but underachieving and now they are suddenly playing between two guys like Machado and Schoop in a new setting, with a new team, a quasi fresh start so to speak, sometimes that scenario can reawaken a guy who is struggling. Obviously the talent has to be there.

1 minute ago, SteveO said:

Do you think there could be anything to the idea that if you take a guy who is talented but underachieving and now they are suddenly playing between two guys like Machado and Schoop in a new setting, with a new team, a quasi fresh start so to speak, sometimes that scenario can reawaken

He won't play this hot forever, but there's certainly something to be said about changes of scenery. Chris Davis comes to mind-- he was looking at AAAA Texas before we grabbed him.

Just now, Enjoy Terror said:

He won't play this hot forever, but there's certainly something to be said about changes of scenery. Chris Davis comes to mind-- he was looking at AAAA Texas before we grabbed him.

Another guy who comes to mind is Joey Bats......course who knows how much of that was scenery and how much was other things

1 minute ago, SteveO said:

Another guy who comes to mind is Joey Bats......course who knows how much of that was scenery and how much was other things

Such as his altered swing path?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Such as his altered swing path?

lol yup

There are any number of one mans trash is another mans treasure in Baseball history. If we can happen to be on the good end of that instead of the bad end (Arrieta among others)....I'll take it lol

DD does have a knack for finding guys like Beckham, Pearce and others who fill a role and do it pretty decently. If he had that same knack where it came to SP then we might have like 3-4 World Series trophies to gawk at

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

After all these years at 3rd base, I can't believe playing SS is an issue with Manny.

2 hours ago, SteveO said:

Do you think there could be anything to the idea that if you take a guy who is talented but underachieving and now they are suddenly playing between two guys like Machado and Schoop in a new setting, with a new team, a quasi fresh start so to speak, sometimes that scenario can reawaken a guy who is struggling. Obviously the talent has to be there.

Yes.    But he has had hot weeks before.   I went through his game logs and saw at least three times that he OPS'd over 1.200 for a week.     Not 1.800 like this time, but pretty darned hot.    So, I'll wait a bit longer before concluding that this is anything more than a well-timed hot streak.    

7th best OPS of SS in MLB. 11th best in WAR, tied with Trea Turner. 

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=606477#/career/R/hitting/2017/ALL

The thing I like is that he's standing by Schoop, Machado, Jones, as the first guys that greet guys when they hit HR's. He had a big play just ranging to the 7.5 hole to keep a ball from going to LF last night and prevented a run from scoring. 

Change of scenery is working wonders. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2017 at 6:55 PM, ORIOLE33 said:

After all these years at 3rd base, I can't believe playing SS is an issue with Manny.

Yup, Roch even said the other day that Manny loves playing 3rd.  And it shows - I think.  He seems to be playing 3B with more enthusiasm this season.    

I have a good feeling about Beckham. So athletic. I think he would make a great OF too. Maybe push Jones to RF and target a SS this winter?

You can't ask for more then his bat is providing right now. Now if he can be serviceable on the field we're set? There's no way I resign Hardy, and I think even he see's the handwriting on the wall.

• Upvote 1