NCRaven

The Wildcard Race

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We're getting hosed by these other WC teams playing weak Schedules. We have a lineup with everyone basically being over an .800 OPS. LAA has just Trout. I'm not even checking the Twins because their division is sicker. 

We're going to have to handle business ourselves and catch the Yankees. 

Gee, maybe we should've tried beating the Twins and Angels when we played them, instead of going 4-9 against them.   

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gee, maybe we should've tried beating the Twins and Angels when we played them, instead of going 4-9 against them.   

Exactly.   Although the As and the White Sox have just rolled over and are playing dead.  

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That reminds me...I will have to review the tie breaking rules for the second wildcard spot.  

Just now, tntoriole said:

That reminds me...I will have to review the tie breaking rules for the second wildcard spot.  

I believe they have a playoff, if there's a tie.    

Just now, Frobby said:

I believe they have a playoff, if there's a tie.    

Exactly...and here is what happens if say....four teams tie.  

Playoff games for multiple-way ties[edit]

Tied teams are designated as A, B, C, and D. Choice for one of these designations is first given to the team winning the tie-breakers (listed below). While A is usually the "best" designation, there are some scenarios where C has a different path to the postseason. If a division title is up for grabs, then those divisional teams will select from the first designations (A, B,...).

On Day 1, A will host B and C will host D (if there is no fourth team, C will be considered to have won this game). Games on Day 2 may occur as follows:

1. If the teams are all competing for 1 playoff spot then the A/B winner will host the C/D winner for that spot.
  2. If 3 teams, not all tied for the same division lead, are competing for 2 playoff spots, C will host the A/B loser for the second spot.
  3. If 4 teams were competing for 3 playoff spots, then the A/B loser will host the C/D loser for the final wild-card spot.
  4. If 2 teams, tied for the same division's lead, both win on Day 1, then the A/B winner will host the C/D winner to determine the division title. The loser of this Day 2 game will earn any remaining wild card spot.

Determining team designations[edit]

The order in which teams pick their designations (A, B, C, D) will be determined by the following 5-step tie-breaking system. If there is a tie for both wild card and division title spots, then the first designations will match teams competing for their division title.

1. Winning/Losing every series against each of the other tied teams
  2. Winning percentage among all tied teams
  3. Winning percentage in intradivision games
  4. Winning percentage in the last half of intraleague play
  5. If still tied, the next most recent intraleague game is added into this winning percentage (skipping games between tied teams) until not all teams are tied.

If at any given step some, but not all, teams remain tied, then those teams that are still tied revert to Step 1.

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Exactly...and here is what happens if say....four teams tie.  

Playoff games for multiple-way ties[edit]

Tied teams are designated as A, B, C, and D. Choice for one of these designations is first given to the team winning the tie-breakers (listed below). While A is usually the "best" designation, there are some scenarios where C has a different path to the postseason. If a division title is up for grabs, then those divisional teams will select from the first designations (A, B,...).

On Day 1, A will host B and C will host D (if there is no fourth team, C will be considered to have won this game). Games on Day 2 may occur as follows:

1. If the teams are all competing for 1 playoff spot then the A/B winner will host the C/D winner for that spot.
  2. If 3 teams, not all tied for the same division lead, are competing for 2 playoff spots, C will host the A/B loser for the second spot.
  3. If 4 teams were competing for 3 playoff spots, then the A/B loser will host the C/D loser for the final wild-card spot.
  4. If 2 teams, tied for the same division's lead, both win on Day 1, then the A/B winner will host the C/D winner to determine the division title. The loser of this Day 2 game will earn any remaining wild card spot.

Determining team designations[edit]

The order in which teams pick their designations (A, B, C, D) will be determined by the following 5-step tie-breaking system. If there is a tie for both wild card and division title spots, then the first designations will match teams competing for their division title.

1. Winning/Losing every series against each of the other tied teams
  2. Winning percentage among all tied teams
  3. Winning percentage in intradivision games
  4. Winning percentage in the last half of intraleague play
  5. If still tied, the next most recent intraleague game is added into this winning percentage (skipping games between tied teams) until not all teams are tied.

If at any given step some, but not all, teams remain tied, then those teams that are still tied revert to Step 1.

Sorry, my mind froze after about 20 words.  It sounds like instructions on how to assemble a child's play pen that was made somewhere in the far east.

Twins have the easiest strength of schedule remaining of the wildcard contenders.    They only face teams with an average winning percentage of around .480.

O's have one of the toughest remaining SOS.............what else is new?

Rays and Mariners also have tough ones.    Angels are in the middle.

42 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Twins have the easiest strength of schedule remaining of the wildcard contenders.    They only face teams with an average winning percentage of around .480.

I used to pine for easier matchups, but now I prefer the team to just beat whomever is in their path. If it's going to happen, have it happen like that. 

58 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Who really knows? The Royals were one of the hottest teams in baseball and then started losing badly. Rays looked good and for two weeks could not hit. Now they look better. Mariners looked good and were terrible at  pitching against the Orioles. Got Mike Leake and might make another run. Twins were done a few weeks back and traded away their closer. Orioles looked done a few weeks back .Buckle up. I don't think anyone knows what will happen with these average teams at best.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Yankees schedule is hard too. Rays is hard just because of the AL East. 

1 hour ago, AdamK said:

I used to pine for easier matchups, but now I prefer the team to just beat whomever is in their path. If it's going to happen, have it happen like that. 

Yeah, fight to the end.  Otherwise, you get there and get crushed.  Play the best, beat the best.

2 hours ago, jerios55 said:

Yeah, fight to the end.  Otherwise, you get there and get crushed.  Play the best, beat the best.

Voila_Capture-2016-11-30_01-58-22_PM.jpg