FanSince88

What's the most you'd offer any of Hardy, Jimenez, Miley, or Tillman to return?

I'll frame this as "spring training starts in 48 hours and we still have potential holes on the major league roster":

2 of the 3 pitchers for $8m or less each
Hardy for whatever Flash has been making, or $6m

But it would have to be pretty apparent that we can't fill these holes internally with minor leaguers. I'd consider this to be a pretty bleak scenario, too. 

I will say, however, that I'd be most likely to bring back Tillman only on a $7m deal if he'd sign it right now. I'm just not convinced that he's done for his career.

I think we should go hard after Cobb. and also sign two of a  Hellickson, Dickey, CC, Tillman etc. type to a one year deal. I think Flash or Tejada  is fine for a UTIF.

17 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Not saying they are better than Miley but, how much are they going to cost? The O's are not paying market for a Alex Cobb, Vargas, Estrada.

I honestly think we should trade for Verlander if the Tigers will eat 12-15 million of salary.

Pineda had Tommy John. Fister is not good. 

Silver lining of our poor starting pitching this year is that it gives DD a great case to present to Angelos to spend more on starters.

Would try to land Cobb or Lynn for 4/70-80

Would try to also land Garcia or Vargas or Chatwood or Estrada for 3/30-39 range

Would try to also land Dickey or Cashner for 1/6-7

If Tillman proves healthy and you can get him on a one year prove it deal you do it.

Otherwise there are too many other free agent pitchers to go after the other two.

And Cobb is a pipe dream.  I wish people would understand that now.  He will get $70 to $90 million, trending toward the high end, and the Orioles just won't pay a pitcher that much money.

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

If Tillman proves healthy and you can get him on a one year prove it deal you do it.

Otherwise there are too many other free agent pitchers to go after the other two.

And Cobb is a pipe dream.  I wish people would understand that now.  He will get $70 to $90 million, trending toward the high end, and the Orioles just won't pay a pitcher that much money.

Tillman says he's healthy.  His velocity is fine.  He doesn't look injured.

He's just not good.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's just not good.

He certainly was not this bad in years past.

At the right price on a one year flyer I would be a player for Tillman. He could rebound and as long as the cost is low enough, you can always DFA him if he continue to be hot garbage.

Far as the rest of those names(Milley, Ubaldo) ....thanks but no thanks.

On 8/7/2017 at 7:45 AM, FanSince88 said:

All four of these guys are currently negative WAR and they're likely to finish the season as such.  Some may have more excuses than others.  

Would you be willing to bring any of these guys back next year?  If so, what's the most you'd pay to do so?  Minor league deal?  1 year, 2 million? 1/3? 1/4? A very, very cheap multi-year deal, even?  

Hardy - Nothing

Jiminez - Nothing

Miley - Nothing

Tillman - 2/12 million with a 3rd $10 million year option vested at 180 innings per in both years

1 hour ago, Finisher said:

Silver lining of our poor starting pitching this year is that it gives DD a great case to present to Angelos to spend more on starters.

Would try to land Cobb or Lynn for 4/70-80

Would try to also land Garcia or Vargas or Chatwood or Estrada for 3/30-39 range

Would try to also land Dickey or Cashner for 1/6-7

If Cobb and Lynn are in the same class, I'd want to pay Lynn. Very consistent and has stayed healthy. 

We have to opportunity to get Tillman back for literally pennies on the dollar. Does anyone remember the previous 5 years? Or that he is still relatively young? Some don't I guess. Get him back cheap, and actually spend 20m on a pitcher on FA. All the the others can walk.  Maybe sign Miley back too if the market is weak, which it very well could be. 

Yeah I know, the joke is on us because Dan isn't allowed to shop at Nordstrom, only Ollie's Bargain Outlet. But a man can dream. 

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's just not good.

So he just got bad overnight, at age 29?     I think he has physical issues that are making it hard for him to maintain a consistent release point.    But that's just my unqualified opinion, and I certainly don't know whether the problem can be fixed by a winter's rest, physical therapy or some other means.

Just now, Frobby said:

So he just got bad overnight, at age 29?     I think he has physical issues that are making it hard for him to maintain a consistent release point.    But that's just my unqualified opinion, and I certainly don't know whether the problem can be fixed by a winter's rest, physical therapy or some other means.

If the doctors cleared him.

If he says he's healthy.

If his velocity is there.

If he doesn't look like he's favoring anything.

Why should we assume he isn't healthy just because he isn't having any success?

Now could there be a mechanical flaw present that is the result of him having pitched hurt last year?  I suppose it's possible.

But I see no reason to just assume a player is injured due to poor results.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

And this is baseball, guys get bad overnight at 29 on a fairly frequent basis.